Question about GI and Judo

Borass

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I m 36 and have trained wrestling and grappling (no GI). I just began judo after have moved ( no wrestling near my new place). It s the first time i wear a GI and i feel really awkward with it... I feel really uncomfortable and i m very quickly exhausted during training wearing it... Do you have any advice to quickly be used to it ? For me, it's like an heavy armor which make me really slower...

I didn' t realise that wearing a GI was soooo "different" ... do you think that s "normal" ?

Yes, I think this feeling is normal. It is kind of like training with a blanket on you. Maybe you can try to find a lighter weight gi than the one you have. The only other way to get used to it quicker is by practicing in the gi more.

Its normal. You have to get used to it and I don't just mean the weight. You need to get used to the feeling of someone controlling you using a gi. If you are constantly fighting against their grips and trying to pull away you're going to get tired. Try to learn how to break their grip or take a counter grip. That and learning to relax will help.

Thanks for your answers !! That s exactly fighting against their grip that make me sore... and i uselly go for an underhook instead of positionnong my hands... it s going to be a tough learning...

make sure it fits. you shouldn't swim in it but shouldn't feel like your girlfriend bought it for you at express. your pants cuffs shouldn't drag on the ground, your pants should allow full range of motion, your gi should wrap around your body like a suit jacket, and your sleeves should be loose enough theyre grabbable but not to where your gi is falling off your shoulders.

it IS armor. it is YOUR armor. it is an extension of you. pretend you're a superhero when you suit up.

gi is a world of wonders. grips and friction and all sorts of fun things to choke people with.

and I'm all the fuck about body locks and control and suplexes and shit, but here's the beauty in judo, and here's what all the weebs have such an understandble hard on for:

all a good judo player needs to put someone on their ass is any one of those grips.

Last edited:
Back