Question about flat and incline bench press

Dyson350

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I do flat bench press right now so would adding incline hit muscles the flat bench can't hit or is flat all I really need? Also should these be done on the same day or broken apart if I did do both? Thanks

The muscles used are the same, although the emphasis is somewhat difference. As to whether you would do them on the same or different days, that would depend on your routine. That being said, I think there's a lot of pressing exercises that are potentially more beneficial than incline press.

How is your bench technique? Have you watched the Dave Tate bench video? What is your routine like?

Incline targets the upper chest.

When you are flat you can vary the grip width to target inner and outer chest
wide grip (outside muscles) narrow grip (inner chest)

decline hits the lower part of the chest

just vary it up..
different angles ,grip widths..
use dumbells or a barbell..

do all these in one session if you want..

just vary it up..

I REALLY hope you're joking. There is no inner, upper, outer, or lower chest. There are 2 heads to the pectoralis, but only 1 is visible.

muscle_diagram.jpg

The muscles used are the same, although the emphasis is somewhat difference. As to whether you would do them on the same or different days, that would depend on your routine. That being said, I think there's a lot of pressing exercises that are potentially more beneficial than incline press.

How is your bench technique? Have you watched the Dave Tate bench video? What is your routine like?

I *think* my technique is decent. I mean I always feel it in my chest and never in my elbows or anything like that. I did watch a video but I am not sure if it was Dave Tate's or not. But they said if done properly you should feel it in other area's as well as your chest so if thats the case I do have room for improvement.

I *think* my technique is decent. I mean I always feel it in my chest and never in my elbows or anything like that. I did watch a video but I am not sure if it was Dave Tate's or not. But they said if done properly you should feel it in other area's as well as your chest so if thats the case I do have room for improvement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the goal of powerlifters is to take away from the chest's involvement, and emphasize the triceps and shoulders.

EDIT: Gah! You beat me.

I REALLY hope you're joking. There is no inner, upper, outer, or lower chest. There are 2 heads to the pectoralis, but only 1 is visible.

muscle_diagram.jpg

sue me for the terminology used..bah
just saying he should mix up the incline ,flat and decline..

Close grip uses more triceps, wide grip uses less, but there is no inner chest, outer chest, upper chest, or lower chest. I think mixing them up are good, but not if the reason is because you think your upper inner chest is weak.

Incline Bench is far superior to Flat Bench for any type of fighter.

In Rocky VI, Stallone uses the Incline Bench while training for his last fight. No further proof is necessary.:icon_chee

Well, technically you can emphasize the muscle fibers of the upper or lower pectorals, but unless you're a bodybuilder, it's not something to be concerned about.

just vary it up..

Lulz lisen to this guy and use the pec deck!

You being serious? the pec deck is a pile of shit and people always say u should use it to hit the inner pec which kinda says it all.

I think it is good for streching and warmup, from powerlifters POV, IMO. I'm clearly not a powerlifter though, don't take me for granted.

i wouldnt even waste my time warming up on it.

Incline will not hit more muscles than bench, however, flat bench is not "all you need." Incline and flat bench can be done on the same day, or on separate days depending on your routine.

Your next question will probably be "Well, what do I need?" My response is "What you need to do, is stop running, and do one of the two routines listed in the FAQ. If you do MMA stuff, do the two day a week routine. The info in the FAQ is very high quality. 'How high quality?' Well, if you would stop going on the internet, stop reading anything on weights except the FAQ, follow what it said, progressed by +5lbs every workout on your lifts, in 3 months you will be much stronger than you were and you wouldn't have to ask questions like 'What does incline do for you and is it better than bench?'

The FAQ is all you need. In addition to reading it, you must follow it. But you probably won't. Your going to go to bb.com and follow some shit there. Fine, but when you are still weak, come back, follow the FAQ and get strong. Of course, there is the chance you are a pussy and will quit all your training in a month or two.

at the moment I do a heavy 5x5 or similar on the flat then a 8-12 explosive 4 sets on the incline, but don't ask me why it's just a feeling I got. by the way I superset the flat with reverse flyes and incline with lateral raise, still, don't know why but I like it.

at the moment I do a heavy 5x5 or similar on the flat then a 8-12 explosive 4 sets on the incline, but don't ask me why it's just a feeling I got. by the way I superset the flat with reverse flyes and incline with lateral raise, still, don't know why but I like it.

Stop doing that, and do them on different days.

Back