Question about fixing hip/ankle flexor imbalance

deckingdutchman

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad imbalance in my hip/ankle mobility between my left and right leg. The immobility imbalance is probably due to years of martial arts training between 14 and 18, during which I developed my right leg a lot more than my left. My right leg is pretty mobile, my left leg is not. I believe this is what's been causing my left hamstring pain the last year or so.

About a year ago I started to feel the top of my left hamstring when I maxed out a deadlift. It wasn't bad, I just strained it. For other reasons I did not lift for about 6 months after this happened, was just too busy. I started lifting again about 2 or 3 months ago, and still (after a 6 month lay off) have the hamstring pain everytime I squat. I feel it on the way up about halfway between parallel and fully extended. I only feel it when I squat, and occasionally when I deadlift.

I've been working on my hip/ankle mobility/flexibility the last few weeks, and noticed some improvement. Sometimes it hurts like shit when I squat, sometimes not at all. However, my left hip is still noticeable tighter than my left. If you wanna scroll through my training log you can see when it did and didn't hurt (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/svens-strength-quest-1199908/), but I don't think it's really relevant.

So now that I'm done with the back story, here is the question:

Should I spend some time only working on my left hip/ankle to get it even with my right? I've been working on both, but I'm thinking it might be more benificial to make sure that they're evenly flexible at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back