Question about Dead Island

Eazy123

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So my favorite game of last year has to be Dying Light. Had it on Xbone before I gave the system to TeTe. Never got to play the expansion so I bought the full version on PS4 this week. Holy crap I love it.

Is Dead Island comparable? I never played the game.

If you like fetch quests, and melee combat, Dead Island is for you. I wanted to like DI more, it does a lot right: atmosphere, ok story, the main characters designs were kind of dumb and and their skills limiting but maybe the expansions and sequel changed that. i vaguely remember dying light so i'm no help there, but dead island is more like fallout 3, where you'll fight your way to a safe area, then perform quests until you unlock more of the story and proceed to the next area. The shooting is kind of wonky, but the craft system is ok. check it out, at the worst, you'll play an ok zombie game.

I wouldn't recommend dead island at this point for solo play. But for coop it was solid

literally the same game by the same dev.

I'll be damned. Didn't know that.

Yeah. If Dying Light is one of you're favorites you'll like Dead Island. Might feel burnt out on it though as they are so similar.

I enjoyed Dead Island but never got its expansion.

Of the zombie games, i enjoyed Dead Rising the most and the least. Gotta get rid of that fucking time limit.

Dying Light is on my list once it gets cheaper. Looked the same as the others but faster gameplay.

The first Dead Island was decent, Riptide was trash. They both have a lot of bugs. Both Dead Islands had high expectations and didn't deliver. Dying Light had low expectations because people blamed Techland for Dead Island, but was a huge success. Dead Island 2 has been delayed multiple times, respected developer Yager left the project because of creative differences with Deep Silver over the vision of the game. This is after Deep Silver didn't want Techland involved with it originally. Turns out Dying Light was so good because it didn't have Deep Silver holding Techland back. They are both zombie games with some similar mechanics but the games are in no way on the same level of quality. And since the Dead Island remaster bundle is pretty new, you won't get it cheap enough to justify the purchase imo. You are better off playing Dying Light again rather than buying Dead Island.

Is there any verticality/parkour in Dead Island? Vehicles? The Dying Light expansion is so damn good and I love the driving.

Is there any verticality/parkour in Dead Island? Vehicles? The Dying Light expansion is so damn good and I love the driving.

Didn't play the the Dead Island DLC, but the base game had vehicles to travel long distances but no parkour elements.

I wouldn't recommend dead island at this point for solo play. But for coop it was solid

It changes drastically solo play. I've beaten it both ways, I've said numerous times how Dead Island is one of my all time favorite games.

I loved Dying Light but I still probably prefer Dead Island.

Dying Light was everything you wanted Dead Island to be

dead island had the best trailers...but the game just didnt put it all together like the trailers did. Still a decent game.

Dead Island was a decent game, I enjoyed it. Storyline is probably better overall, but Dying light is a much better game.

So my favorite game of last year has to be Dying Light. Had it on Xbone before I gave the system to TeTe. Never got to play the expansion so I bought the full version on PS4 this week. Holy crap I love it.

Is Dead Island comparable? I never played the game.

Yeah, they're very similar. Pretty sure Dying Light was made by the same developers.

However, if you started with Dying Light, it might be hard to go back to a more limited version of that game.

Yeah, they're very similar. Pretty sure Dying Light was made by the same developers.

However, if you started with Dying Light, it might be hard to go back to a more limited version of that game.

That's what I was thinking. I'm still finishing up The Following and trying to get the story done all over again so I've got time, just curious if it was worth it.

Any other good similar or zombie games, preferably on PS4? I tried all 3 Dead Risings and they're just way too clunky for me. I thought DayZ was a good idea but it's kinda eh after all is said and done. Really liked the idea of 7 Days To Die (not to mention split screen couch co-op) but heard it's buggy and pretty cruddy overall.

That's what I was thinking. I'm still finishing up The Following and trying to get the story done all over again so I've got time, just curious if it was worth it.

Any other good similar or zombie games, preferably on PS4? I tried all 3 Dead Risings and they're just way too clunky for me. I thought DayZ was a good idea but it's kinda eh after all is said and done. Really liked the idea of 7 Days To Die (not to mention split screen couch co-op) but heard it's buggy and pretty cruddy overall.

On the PS4, Zombi is a great game and I think only like $20. It was originally on the WiiU as ZombiU, but they ported it to the PS4 and changed some of the control schemes to allow it to run without the gamepad.

Zombi is more survival horror that runs through its story, no side quests. They did a really good job of capturing the isolation of a zombie infested city. Supplies are scarce, ammo is limited, single zombies are a threat and anything more than one can easily get you killed. It's perma-death, and after each death brings on a new survivor with reset skills and no equipment so you have to go on corpse runs to find your zombified remains and get your gear back. It makes it really intense searching new areas knowing that any mistake can end your run. Skills were easy enough to rebuild since they were weapon proficiency, but that meant spending more ammo to build which is already rare to begin with.

The only real complaint is the melee combat is clunky, and since you try not to run around with tons of ammo on you, you end up falling back to melee quite a bit. I didn't do a full run through on the PS4, but the ported version has new melee weapons that I didn't really get to use.

Not on the PS4, but I really liked State of Decay. It was more of a simulation since you built bases, collected survivors, managed resources, and built supply lines. You would take survivors and run missions to progress the story, but it was open world so you can just go of the story and go on supply runs and bolster your defenses.

The game definitely had its faults. It was buggy, combat was clunky, sidequests were repetitive fetch quests, and there was pretty much no story. Even with all of it's faults it had a lot of interesting game mechanics and I'm really excited for the sequel they announced at E3 so they can fix some of the faults and expand on the more interesting features.

On the PS4, Zombi is a great game and I think only like $20. It was originally on the WiiU as ZombiU, but they ported it to the PS4 and changed some of the control schemes to allow it to run without the gamepad.

Zombi is more survival horror that runs through its story, no side quests. They did a really good job of capturing the isolation of a zombie infested city. Supplies are scarce, ammo is limited, single zombies are a threat and anything more than one can easily get you killed. It's perma-death, and after each death brings on a new survivor with reset skills and no equipment so you have to go on corpse runs to find your zombified remains and get your gear back. It makes it really intense searching new areas knowing that any mistake can end your run. Skills were easy enough to rebuild since they were weapon proficiency, but that meant spending more ammo to build which is already rare to begin with.

The only real complaint is the melee combat is clunky, and since you try not to run around with tons of ammo on you, you end up falling back to melee quite a bit. I didn't do a full run through on the PS4, but the ported version has new melee weapons that I didn't really get to use.

Not on the PS4, but I really liked State of Decay. It was more of a simulation since you built bases, collected survivors, managed resources, and built supply lines. You would take survivors and run missions to progress the story, but it was open world so you can just go of the story and go on supply runs and bolster your defenses.

The game definitely had its faults. It was buggy, combat was clunky, sidequests were repetitive fetch quests, and there was pretty much no story. Even with all of it's faults it had a lot of interesting game mechanics and I'm really excited for the sequel they announced at E3 so they can fix some of the faults and expand on the more interesting features.

Thanks. I did have ZombiU on Wii U so I've done that already, and I also have State of Decay on PC and agree about how clunky it is. I wish the stealth had worked a little better as well. I really wish they'd make the sequel for PS4.

I played through Dead Island solo and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't realyl run into too many bugs although there was this pretty funny one where this beachball rolled over to me and drained my health down real quick.

I was playing through Hard mode in Dying Light witha friend and we never finished it. Game got kind of boring to me. It felt like the progression in Dying Light was a bit slower and the night feature was pretty cool but tbh after a couple of times it got kind of old and kind of annoying

I liked the night feature, especially in the DLC where for example if you're out of gas and have to travel on foot it becomes a matter of "Do I spend time looting cars for fuel or run to the nearest safe house?" It just adds that layer of urgency. Really excited to see how Days Gone shapes up.

Back