Question about coke coming up in a test

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by gevoudane, Jan 10, 2015.

1. gevoudane

gevoudane ʇlǝq ʞɔɐlq

What if when Jones did the coke he did it in a place where it is legal? At the time he didn't break any laws. So if it comes up in a test later what would happen then? Places like Peru, Columbia, Czech Republic, Mexico and in Portugal it has been decriminalized.

2. Dogshare

Dogshare Yellow Belt

He would have to do a second rehab.

3. spid3yo

spid3yo Guest

I would think it's no different than everything else that's not banned out-of-competition (narcotics, pain meds, etc)

4. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

He had not been charged for any crimes. He went to rehab. It would not change anything.

5. RepairManManMan

RepairManManMan Banned Banned

then he would be fine. He wasn't on it when he was fighting so......

6. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

It's not a legal issue. It's an NSAC issue.

7. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

Jones was in Brazil a few fays prior to the test and it's legal to use there.

But no matter where he took it, this whole thing is ridiculous. Jones didn't sign up for a cocaine test, but random PED tests. Coke isn't illegal during that period. Unless he has a serious problem with it, he now has to play the publicity guy for the UFC by going to rehab, while chances are he did it once. And he wasn't even informed of him failing a test he shouldn't have had to take, yet the UFC was. What is that?

8. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

People just make stuff up out of nowhere here...
    Using coke is NOT legal in Brazil. Not even pot is. They are considered small crimes and there is little punishment, but it is not legal.

9. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

Diaz and Healy were caught for smoking months prior, not fighting high.
    Both of them can smoke legally in CA.

Both of them were punished for that.

It matters little if it is legal or not.

10. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

Idk where the fuck people get shit like that.

11. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

This is the issue here. The disparity in treatment and/or punishment of one fighter over others.

12. Handawg

Handawg Brown Belt

Forrest was fined/suspended for Xanax which is quite legal in the US. As many have said, legality isn't the concern, its the standards of the commission.

13. TheMMAn

TheMMAn Guardian of Masculinity

It is?

Really? I'd guess, based on the general use of this drug, the odds are very high that this is not the case. What logic did you use to arrive at this opinion?

14. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

No.

The thing is that at Rogan's podcast, the geniuses there tried to find out where he was prior to the test, so they'd have an indication on where he snorted Coke. They found out by his tweets that he was in Brazil until December 1st.
    As the test was administered on the 4th, they concluded he did coke in Brazil.
    Brilliant idea... if the fact that Coke stays on your system for a couple of days... so chances are he did it in US after he came back from Brazil, and not in Brazil 4 days prior to the test (which by then, he'd be clean on the 4th).

Then they claim Coke is legal in South America... they pull out facts from their asses, and people here eat them like it is factual truth.

Cocaine is an illegal drug in Brazil. simple check (you can goto other Brazilian sites, if you will. Just giving you a taste of 5 seconds check from more credible sources than someone from Sherdog).

It is just one of those things Americans spew to try to blame this on some other Country, as if this would change anything in this situation.

no logic at all.
    Jon's fans are grasping hard at straws.
    The fact he was tested by accident is the only thing wrong here. But they want us to forget Jon snorts, just because of a technicality. It is kind of sad, really.
    Because they want this so much to go away, they basically disregard Jon is a person with a very bad habit, and that he needs help. He might not even recover from it, or might never fight again.
    But to them, they act like Coke is nothing, and someone can snort once and never feel like using again.... it amazes me they don't know the effects coke has on someone...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  15. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

scrolled through this article and the headline got me. community service instead of jail for use, but it's still a minor crime. my bad. if Jones did use it in Brazil and get caught, how would that work?

http://www.thehempire.com/index.php...e_and_marijuana_wont_land_you_in_jail_anymore

16. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

the second test being clean. if he was badly addicted, he probably couldn't go without it for 2-4 days.

17. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

It's not legal by any stretch in Brazil, and it wouldn't really change anything if it were. The issue with testing positive for these substances is usually not criminal, but rather that they're banned in the sport. I'm fairly certain there was a fighter(I'm thinking Matt Riddle) who had an exeption for marijuana use in the US, tested positive and was still penalized. Plus, Jones wasn't penalized by the comission anyway.

18. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

Again, pulling facts out of your ass. There's no such timeline and all you have are assumptions.

If anything, many fighters hinted this is not something new from Jon.

19. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

yeah, just checked and the dec 18th test wasn't for cocaine. I'll shut up and sit in a corner now.

20. Stuhby

Stuhby Blue Belt

Dude, you're taking a leap.

They were not caught smoking months prior. They were -caught- in the post fight test. Yes, we all know that Marijuana remains testable for up to a month. Diaz and Healy know this too. They messed up, dude. They knew what they were doing, they were well aware of the consequences.

I thoroughly enjoy imbibing from time to time. I'm employed now, but when I was searching for jobs I knew I had to be clean. I abstained, because I knew I may have to take a drug test. After I took the test, I would celebrate of course. These fighters know that the post-fight test that they are required to take every time they fight will test for Marijuana metabolites. They are responsible for passing their tests.

What's worse is that Diaz has been popped before for the same thing. A handful of fighter have been popped for the same thing. Every fighter knows how long it stays in your system - zero fighters are surprised when they piss hot. They just hope that because the world is taking a softer stance on Marijuana that they'll get a pass.

Jon Jones did -not- know that his Out of Competition test would include recreational drugs, as they never had before. You may argue that "we should know every substance that every fighter (or just Jon Jones) is on and make a judgement call via internet forums on whether or not it's okay", but you would be silly in doing so.

Actually, quite the opposite. Jon's fans are actually very concerned with Jon's use. The thing is, the threads that are in support of Jon, or that show concern for his well-being, often get flooded and trashed by the other side and end up buried or Wastelanded. There is plenty of concern for Jones.

You demanding tit-for-tat retaliation for a conclusion you came to by drawing false equivalences, however, does not show any sympathy. Demanding that Jones be stripped of his title, or fined, or suspended, because he has been able to keep a Coke habit on the DL while being the most dominant LHW champion (not you, necessarily, but your ilk) - does not show sympathy. It shows a petty side that is eager to see the fall of another successful person.

No one, I assure you, will ever forget about Jones' coke habit. Don't worry your pretty little head about that one.