Question about cleansing

Bizz

cbjerrisgaard
Reaction score
Ok this is a wierd one,

I was at GNC today just looking around and talking to one of the staff. I had mentioned that I recently started training and eating a lot better, etc etc.

The staff member recomended to me that I should try out their colon cleansing product (this 21 day set of pills that I guess...flushes you out) as I have not been eating healthy for some time and could have some impacted matter in my system.

Now as I have stated time and time before I am new to a healthy lifestyle and do not know bullshit from reality always. This one struck me as a little suprising however I do know GNC has a good reputation...so the question is...

was this staff member full of shit? (no pun intended)

Well I think you'll get varied opinions on that. I've looked into is...and actually those office colonics, but never actually did either one. One school says there are pounds of crap in your colon just rotting away...another school says as long as you have enough fiber in your diet....you're as clean as you are going to be. I've recently had a colonoscopy (sorry I know....too much info) and the doc said I'm fine...so...it's the fiber route for me. Good luck

I've thought about going through a cleanse too. For two years I ate fast food 3 meals a day most of the time. If anybody needs one. It would be me.

I know there was already an entire thread on this. Did you search?

DO IT!..

i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds of impacted shit in ur colon.. :wink:

just be sure to do it during a month where there aren't many things that need to be done! :D

^^LOL mick seems to be getting ill lately.

go for it. when i started a good diet, i took a colon cleanser, and it had me shtting alot. i actually lost a couple pounds with it too. you have nothing to lose except your own shit.

I'm confused. How does this work, what do you do, and why would you want to do it? Does it help prevent cancer or something?

Frodo said:
I'm confused. How does this work, what do you do, and why would you want to do it? Does it help prevent cancer or something?

u take pills, cleans out ur colon, and prevents colon cancer :wink:

PM King Kabuki, he works at a GNC.

Most ppl at GNC suck. They're just trying to sell things. Haveing your colon cleansed it a good way to cut some weight before a fight, lol. You do feel healthier too.

I dunno. Having your "colon cleansed" seemes like a statement that should be used in prision.

I think its a waste. Especially if you are young. This whole society is run on fear, and that is why we have so many "health" products. If you don't take your multi, you could have a deficcency and die, if you don't take CoQ10 you could become dumb, if you don't use those buring ear wax things you could not be experiencing the most out of life because you could be 1/2 deaf. The list goes on, especially with cancer. On the box of EmergenC they just happen to mention scurvy is not getting enough vitamin C, how suprising.

When I get older I plan to get colonoscopies, and as I get older I plan to take in more fiber. As far as goign to one of those camps that you only drink liquid and get daily colonoscopies (like Usher and many celebs) I don't think so. Actually, those camps have been shown to cause more harm than good.

Humans didn't evolve over the millions of years to be some intelligent supercreature who needs to cleanse his colon to avoid cancer. The body is AMAZING at compensating and doing well with what we have.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065

Doctors don't recommend colon cleansing for better health or to prevent disease. The only appropriate use for colon cleansing is in preparation for a medical examination of the colon.

Your colon normally eliminates waste material and bacteria and absorbs water and sodium to maintain your body's fluid and electrolyte balance. Some colon-cleansing programs disrupt this balance and can be harmful by causing dehydration and salt depletion.

To help prevent constipation, eat plenty of fiber. The Institute of Medicine offers these daily recommendations:

http://healthgate.partners.org/browsing/browseContent.asp?fileName=13996.xml&title=Colon%20cleansing:%20don't%20be%20misled%20by%20the%20claims

"Colon cleansers effectively eliminate large quantities of toxic waste, affecting the condition and vitality of the entire body."

"Colonics...increase the release of old, encrusted colon waste, encourage discharge of toxins and parasites, freshen the gastrointestinal tract and make the whole cleansing process easier and more thorough."

"Cleansing is the first step in a good weight control program."

So read ads and promotional materials for so-called internal cleansers

Ted-P said:
http://healthgate.partners.org/browsing/browseContent.asp?fileName=13996.xml&title=Colon%20cleansing:%20don't%20be%20misled%20by%20the%20claims

"Colon cleansers effectively eliminate large quantities of toxic waste, affecting the condition and vitality of the entire body."

"Colonics...increase the release of old, encrusted colon waste, encourage discharge of toxins and parasites, freshen the gastrointestinal tract and make the whole cleansing process easier and more thorough."

"Cleansing is the first step in a good weight control program."

So read ads and promotional materials for so-called internal cleansers

I personaly didnt see the point of taking somthing like that at my age but figured I would run it past everyone.

Very good info guys, on both sides, thank you.

I am just going to stick with what im doing (eating well and getting in plently of work outs). I will mention it to my doctor when I go to see him on the 9th but odds are he will say the same thing as Ted-P.

-CB

yknow wenever something new comes around 'experts' in the appropriate field say its crap and doesnt really do anything etc etc. all iv herd from people who do colon cleansing is that they feel fresher and more energetic and much healthier. now whether or not doctors say its crap doesnt make any difference to how well it works , and for everybody i no who has tried it , it works , so try it.

It's a simple matter to me.

You must clean the colon at least once a year.
You do not want toxins hanging out in your colon, absorbing into your bloodstream.

We were meant to eat twigs and berries, then McDonalds started shoveling the most unnatural substances in our mouths via the Happy Meal and the Big Mac.
These are the things you want out of your shitter.
Here is how you do it:

http://www.vitacost.com/RenewLifeOrganicBowelCleansePowder

This is what I believe is best.
I do not think that any pill packet can compare to this powder.
It's not harsh and you can still go to work.

*Sidenote*
All of you who take 6 f'n gainers a day should really consider colon cleansing.

I'm going to agree with Ted-P. Without any hard evidence cited in this thread, it is probable that the current understanding is correct: that cleansing your colon is generally not required. As a scientist, I am very skeptical about any claims that unprescribed colon cleansing is benifical without quanitative evidence. There are simply too many frauds in the market! (It is the same feeling I get whenever I hear about alternatives to Quantum Theory now, for example.)

Here is a good journal article on the History of Autointoxication Theory and its relative scientific merits. Here is a another good article on the subject; although, I admit the source site is a little biased: Gastrointestinal Quackery: Colonics, Laxatives, and More. The most important part of that article involves the FDA warnings against intestinal cleansers:
The FDA classifies colonic irrigation systems as Class III devices that cannot be legally marketed except for medically indicated colon cleansing (such as before a radiologic endocopic examination). No system has been approved for "routine" colon cleansing to promote the general well being of a patient. Since 1997, the agency has issued at least seven warning letters related to colon therapy
Besides, logic suggests that if you are absorbing leftover toxins from your digestive tract into your blood stream, they would be apparent in blood tests taken by a doctor. Then he can prescribe the best treatment. Self-diagnosis is often drastically overestimated by individuals not trained in the practice. I highly suggest that you google the Theory of Autointoxication in Google Scholar for more references on the subject.

i don't know about taking pills for 21 days but you can buy this stuff called Phospho-soda at any drug store. Its a little bottle of liquid. You mix it with gatorade, drink it, let it do its thing. Dont leave the house for a good 24 hours, you will shit every 15 minutes . I suppose it cleans you out pretty good, they tell you to use this before certain medical procedures. But, i wouldnt recommend it. talk to a doctor first.

Chad Hamilton said:
It's a simple matter to me.

You must clean the colon at least once a year.
You do not want toxins hanging out in your colon, absorbing into your bloodstream.

We were meant to eat twigs and berries, then McDonalds started shoveling the most unnatural substances in our mouths via the Happy Meal and the Big Mac.
These are the things you want out of your shitter.
Here is how you do it:

http://www.vitacost.com/RenewLifeOrganicBowelCleansePowder

This is what I believe is best.
I do not think that any pill packet can compare to this powder.
It's not harsh and you can still go to work.

*Sidenote*
All of you who take 6 f'n gainers a day should really consider colon cleansing.

wow.. good find! :D

Back