Question about cauliflower

Hello guys,

I was just wondering and I can't find an answer anywhere, maybe I'm not looking enough but i was hoping you could help.

You can't find the answer anywhere? This question literally comes up every week on these forums. If you don't get the information you're looking for from this thread, search old threads and you'll find about 1 billion replies to this question.

You can't find the answer anywhere? This question literally comes up every week on these forums. If you don't get the information you're looking for from this thread, search old threads and you'll find about 1 billion replies to this question.

or even google.

dissapointed, i opened this thread expecting some cauliflower recipes :-(

It was a joke. I, in fact hate cauliflower.
Here's what you do. You cook up/steam up some cauliflower, string beans or snow peas and fry up some boneless chicken strips with the Thai/Indian spices as you like on the meat.

At the same time, you make some spaghetti. I'm talking fat, thick spaghetti. Almost noodles.

When all these items are cooked, you chop up the chicken into bits and then mix the veggies and meat with the noodles. Put a heap of that mess on each plate. Then - this is the crucial bit - splortch a ton of ketchup and sriracha all over the dish. Mix that up again and eat your fill.

This amalgam has gotten me through many family dinners and a couple successful college dates. It's a legendary recipe for those in the know and best of all, I didn't have to sexually assault anyone or sell you any bullcrap dvd sets to give it to you either.

Here's what you do. You cook up/steam up some cauliflower, string beans or snow peas and fry up some boneless chicken strips with the Thai/Indian spices as you like on the meat.

At the same time, you make some spaghetti. I'm talking fat, thick spaghetti. Almost noodles.

When all these items are cooked, you chop up the chicken into bits and then mix the veggies and meat with the noodles. Put a heap of that mess on each plate. Then - this is the crucial bit - splortch a ton of ketchup and sriracha all over the dish. Mix that up again and eat your fill.

This amalgam has gotten me through many family dinners and a couple successful college dates. It's a legendary recipe for those in the know and best of all, I didn't have to sexually assault anyone or sell you any bullcrap dvd sets to give it to you either.
Lmao!
47meh_large.jpg

yea thanks, theres enough about caulis and what to do to them.

but not how they heal up after being drained. and from what i see here, it gets some mixed reviews.

some grow back to normal some dont?

anyways thanks for the help

Words of wisdom here.

Women folk LOVE it when you can cook. It doesn't even have to be anything sophisticated. As long as it tastes pretty good and took effort, those panties are yours.

I recently had a minor op from a doctor who also works with the English national rugby squad, so I quizzed him about cauliflower ears and he mentioned something I've never heard/read on grappling forums. He said a brand of blister plasters called "Compeed" from Johnson & Johnson were great for cauli if you can't get it drained straight away. They draw out the fluid from inside the ear into the plaster and are effective to the point that no clamping is needed to prevent it from refilling. He said that they can also be used to quickly remove/reduce the swelling from black eyes.

Just cut the plaster to size so it can fit flush on the swollen part of the ear, it will stay attached for "several days" and fall off on its own. I've yet to test it personally on any fresh cauli since I only heard this for the first time last weekend but I picked up some plasters to check them out. They are almost transparent pads about 1mm thick with absorbent gel/material inside and a pretty strong adhesive for attaching to the skin. At first I thought the gel might leak if I cut it to fit my ear but the cut edge and inside was completely dry. The adhesive seemed great and the plaster wasn't really noticeable on the inside of my ear, I feel I could roll with it on and not have any issues. In fact the doc said that a couple of the England players put them on before games in case they get ear trauma.

I wonder if anyone else has heard of this solution, I can't attest for any of the claims made here since I've yet to have my ears smashed after picking the plasters up. Maybe some frequent cauli sufferers can try it out and report back. Compeed is available in Europe and Aus/NZ but I'm not sure if it is widely sold in the US and I'm unsure if there are any equivalent products. Anyway, I hope this is useful being my first ever post (omg!).

If you get it drained before it hardens and casted, you will be okay. This happened to me. I took 3 months off afterwards to let it fully heal.

THEN, wear Cliff Keen headgear the minute you do any work with a partner. Don't wait for your ears to start hurting. Defend early.

Cauliflower ear is a bad, bad thing if you want a job as a professional later in life.

It seems I tempted fate by posting about cauli before going to nogi class tonight where my ear blew up in sparring. Instead of hijacking this thread I posted this on reddit to document my attempts to use compeed plasters to fix it.

I have some cauli inside my left ear i never bothered to have it drained. Headphone sticks better in that ear now lol. The pain was really bad at some point but it is what it is. Not gonna stop me from training.

It seems I tempted fate by posting about cauli before going to nogi class tonight where my ear blew up in sparring. Instead of hijacking this thread I posted this on reddit to document my attempts to use compeed plasters to fix it.

that shit is gonna huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurt

How hard did you get hit?

How hard did you get hit?

I only noticed the swelling a little while after sparring, it must have happened while I was defending repeated guillotines where the attacking arm was mushing my ear as I defending and my partner tried to regrab. The ear folded from the top to the bottom and was squished while folded by the guillotine grip.

I have accumulated some small damage to that same ear over the last few months, the initial cause I believe is guillotines in nogi, it hasn't ever swollen to this extent before however.

I only noticed the swelling a little while after sparring, it must have happened while I was defending repeated guillotines where the attacking arm was mushing my ear as I defending and my partner tried to regrab. The ear folded from the top to the bottom and was squished while folded by the guillotine grip.

I have accumulated some small damage to that same ear over the last few months, the initial cause I believe is guillotines in nogi, it hasn't ever swollen to this extent before however.

keep us updated, im following your reddit thread

I recently had a minor op from a doctor who also works with the English national rugby squad, so I quizzed him about cauliflower ears and he mentioned something I've never heard/read on grappling forums. He said a brand of blister plasters called "Compeed" from Johnson & Johnson were great for cauli if you can't get it drained straight away. They draw out the fluid from inside the ear into the plaster and are effective to the point that no clamping is needed to prevent it from refilling. He said that they can also be used to quickly remove/reduce the swelling from black eyes.

Just cut the plaster to size so it can fit flush on the swollen part of the ear, it will stay attached for "several days" and fall off on its own. I've yet to test it personally on any fresh cauli since I only heard this for the first time last weekend but I picked up some plasters to check them out. They are almost transparent pads about 1mm thick with absorbent gel/material inside and a pretty strong adhesive for attaching to the skin. At first I thought the gel might leak if I cut it to fit my ear but the cut edge and inside was completely dry. The adhesive seemed great and the plaster wasn't really noticeable on the inside of my ear, I feel I could roll with it on and not have any issues. In fact the doc said that a couple of the England players put them on before games in case they get ear trauma.

I wonder if anyone else has heard of this solution, I can't attest for any of the claims made here since I've yet to have my ears smashed after picking the plasters up. Maybe some frequent cauli sufferers can try it out and report back. Compeed is available in Europe and Aus/NZ but I'm not sure if it is widely sold in the US and I'm unsure if there are any equivalent products. Anyway, I hope this is useful being my first ever post (omg!).

No offense, but your doctor is a fucking moron on the subject. Compeed is a gel to relieve pressure on foot blisters. Your doc doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about. A blister barrier isnt going to suck out edema from hematoma auris. This is literally the shit fat women put on bunyons to relieve pressure in their swollen feet in pumps. That aint gonna do jack shit to a ML of fluid in your ear. Only a needle or lancing will remove it without fibrosus.

It pisses me off that people take doctors word as gospel when they know literally less on some subjects that 8th graders in the field.

How often do your earshurt when you grapple often? I havebeen training bjj for about a year and every once in a while after ripping my head out of triangle choke my ears hurt and turn red (no cauliflower ear yet). What do you guys use for icing your ears? Just a bag of ice that you hold to your head?

No offense, but your doctor is a fucking moron on the subject. Compeed is a gel to relieve pressure on foot blisters. Your doc doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about. A blister barrier isnt going to suck out edema from hematoma auris. This is literally the shit fat women put on bunyons to relieve pressure in their swollen feet in pumps. That aint gonna do jack shit to a ML of fluid in your ear. Only a needle or lancing will remove it without fibrosus.

It pisses me off that people take doctors word as gospel when they know literally less on some subjects that 8th graders in the field.

None taken, its actually an honour to be on the receiving end of your bluntness Holt! Like I said I couldn't comment on the accuracy of what I heard but it at least came from an interesting enough source to bring up here in case others had any experience/comment on it. It does sound a little too good to be true with hindsight.

I visited A&E (emergency room) earlier today to see if I could get my ear drained since my GP flat out refuses to do it (its not a "recognised medical procedure" :rolleyes:). The ENT I saw was pretty reluctant to stick a needle in to drain it as the swelling isn't huge and is an oedema rather than a haematoma, he thought it would most likely "resolve" on its own. I lobbied for a draining but he didn't want to risk infection and said that it would only refill with fluid. I ended up leaving with some antibiotics and an appointment to see him in 5 days to deal with it if it hasn't "resolved" by then.

Its a little frustrating dealing with the medical staff on this issue since they are so risk averse, instead of draining now they hope it will disappear on its own and if it doesn't they will do a more invasive procedure (incision + stitching the skin back to the cartilage) to fix it that is just as much of a risk for infection and probably keeps me off the mat longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back