Question about cauliflower

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by blutch, May 19, 2014.

1. blutch

blutch White Belt

Hello guys,

I was just wondering and I can't find an answer anywhere, maybe I'm not looking enough but i was hoping you could help.

If you get a cauliflower ear drained properly, on time, will it still be permanent trauma? or will it completely heal to its old state.

And also, how hard do you actually have to spar to have this occur, or does this not happen that often during normal friendly training?

Thanks guys

2. D1wrestla

D1wrestla Purple Belt

Once you get it the ear will never be the same even if it's drained. As far as how hard you have to train to get it is different for everyone. There was some guys when I used to wrestle who never wore headgear and still never got it but for me it was the opposite. I almost always wore headgear and during one of the few times I didn't my right ear blew up to the size of a Ping pong ball (slightly exaggerated) but once it hardens it gets smaller and also it doesn't bother you anymore

3. blutch

blutch White Belt

Damn that sucks :(

My ears have like really tiny pieces of hardened stuff, very small, so I think my ears would be prone to cauliflower aswell.

We dont train ''that'' hard though, my docter said you have to do some pretty serious stuff to get it.

4. blutch

blutch White Belt

anyone else care to give their experience?

5. gsxrpaul

gsxrpaul Yellow Belt

My right ear definitely looks different from my left, even with having an ENT do the draiing. As far as training hard to get it, I don't think I trained all that hard, just happens to be the way do a low pass with my ear hugging the hip that caused it.

6. blutch

blutch White Belt

seriously starting to consider ear protection here,
    even though we train pretty safe. we spar quite playful/not 100% force

7. drabon74

drabon74 Orange Belt

This. My ears were a mess within 3 months of training BJJ. I now wear headgear religiously. Makes it harder to get out of certain positions and holds but proper fitting headgear like Cliff Keen will save your ears.

8. DMai

DMai Yellow Belt

cliff keen tornado brah

9. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

I had a decent cauli in my right ear some years ago. It wasn't quite bad enough for me to get it drained, and eventually subsided while I was on training sabbatical due to college. The only way you can tell the difference anymore is if you actually touch both of my ear lobes. My right ear feels like tough leather.

It gets strangely mixed reviews from the lady folk.

10. HRMA

HRMA White Belt

I would wear headgear, my cauliflower took 5 syringes and my right ear is permanently damaged. Even with the headgear my cauliflower gets irritated!

Drain it, put some headgear on, and keep rolling, wrestling, grappling or whatever you do!

11. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

if you care about your ears and you've begun to develop cauliflower, either stop training or wear headgear.

Intensity of training certainly affects your odds of getting cauliflower, but I don't think the difference is all too great. I'm pretty sure I got my cauliflower from an accidental knee to the ear when a guy was on top in side control.

Don't stop wearing headgear until it is no longer soft.

12. bzjitz

bzjitz White Belt

:eek::rolleyes:

13. blutch

blutch White Belt

i dont have a cauliflower, so i really wonder how hard you guys were hit.
    thanks for your responses guys, i guess it could go back to the way it was if it was a minor cauli.

as it takes a pretty big blow right?

14. BJ@LW&WW

Not a big blow at all. i have a lot of adrenaline when I spar hard so I don't usually feel too much pain, but I wasn't like a knee hard enough to jostle my brain at all.

my ear blew up real bad because I wore headgear for two days and hated it and I definitely wasn't going to stop training. also, there was a guy focusing on his darce chokes at the time who i rolled with regularly and outweighed me by maybe 50lbs and the amount of grinding my ear got after the onset of cauliflower certainly did not help.

my shit is all fucked up now. I really didn't care about it back then, but nowadays people notice my ears and it's pretty annoying.

just wear the head gear!

15. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

He's wrong. You will get it more often if you keep banging up your ear, or spazzing out of holds, but it will still happen to many or most during normal rolling.

I've never been able to identify exactly when I've gotte cauli, I just notice after training that it's there. Not a big blow, nor neccesarily a blow. Friction can do the trick nicely on its own.

Don't worry about it. If you drain it consistently, it won't be big.

16. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

Get DAT bj Penn ears

17. Panky Rang

Panky Rang Blue Belt

My ear is pretty jacked but it would have been way worse if I hadnt got it done by an ENT

18. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

I find that friction and pressure get me like this and my ears are CONSTANTLY sore. i haven't gotten the fluid buildup in a long time, but my ears will get sore from someone putting pressure on my head when they're on top, holding my head to their gi when in guard, going for chokes, and other similar situations. my worst case happened when i was rolling with a guy, i was in his guard with one side of my head on his belly. he shoved my head in one direction and the friction just blew my ear up.

19. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Some of these posts are 100% not true. You can get a blown up ear, have it drained and casted, and there will be absolutely zero visible damage. Period.

Headgear will help sometimes, and sometimes it will make it worse. It depends on your ear, the headgear, and how well you fit it. Its not a cure all and I have had it fuck my ears up on several occasions, doing far more damage then without them.

20. BJ@LW&WW

by casted, do u mean that thing the doctors do after they cut it open?

ive heard surgery works even after the ear has hardened, but it's a bit expensive for most people i think.