Question about Brazil

Fernt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm thinking about going to Brazil next year and compete in a BJJ tournament.
The thing is there are so many tournaments from different federations and stuff that I don't know which one I should choose to go and compete (there's the Brazilian National from CBJJ, the Worlds from CBJJE, some official IBJJF tournaments, etc).

If you had to choose, which one would you go to and why??

I would do the IBJJF Rio Open.

Depending on your age, you could even do the masters instead.

Stay at Rio Connection as they seems the one stop shop for staying in RIO.

I just competed in the last IBJJF Rio Open and stayed at Connection Rio for a week and a half during my 3 week trip down there this past July. Training and competing in Rio as well as staying at Connection Rio was an awesome experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd definitely do an IBJJF tournament though, every IBJJF comp I've done has always been very organized.

I just competed in the last IBJJF Rio Open and stayed at Connection Rio for a week and a half during my 3 week trip down there this past July. Training and competing in Rio as well as staying at Connection Rio was an awesome experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd definitely do an IBJJF tournament though, every IBJJF comp I've done has always been very organized.

I always wondered about connection rio, what's the cost for a 3week trip?

Remember the World Cup will be there next year, RIO will be hectic, everything will be expensive and criminals will be out in force!

Have fun though

Hey guys. I'm thinking about going to Brazil next year and compete in a BJJ tournament.
The thing is there are so many tournaments from different federations and stuff that I don't know which one I should choose to go and compete (there's the Brazilian National from CBJJ, the Worlds from CBJJE, some official IBJJF tournaments, etc).

If you had to choose, which one would you go to and why??

IBJJF is people's first choice. But local comps are under the CBJJ banner. You will need to register with the federation.

FJJRioEstadual.jpg

FJJ Rio ^^^ is the most traditional federation in Rio, originally founded by Helio Gracie and co it is headed by Robson Gracie (Renzo's dad). Regular, well-run tournaments. Cheap to enter. Easy to register. 6-mat comps. Only downside is the venues are quite far out but not a million miles away. They announce dates up to 1 year in advance.

FJJDRioCopaJoaoAlbertoBarreto.jpg

FJJD Rio ^^^ is another established federation with a regular tournament schedule. Again they well-run, Sylvio Behring is a board member and director as are a number of well-known figures in the Rio community. 6 mat comps. Not expensive. Easy to get to venues.

There is also the FJJO and the CBJJO, they host tournaments in Niteroi.

Some more info here

BJJ Competitions in Rio - Connection Rio

Some videos about competing in Rio

[YT]Dclru-YdxMY[/YT]

[YT]MtEd73cmyqc[/YT]

hey man

I am a brazilian competitor in brazil.. pm me if you have any doubts.

In brazil there are many local federations, as mentioned above. In my state, Ceara, for example, there is a guy named Sazinho who has two! CBLB and FJJOCE. both are really organized and have great tourneys with great prizes, professional filming, etc...

Personally, I am travelling to Rio for the Nogi Brasileiro CBJJ next weekend, and I am going to Florianopolis for the Sulamericano CBJJ. Floripa is an AMAZING city.

But if you really want to learn and get your ass kicked and have a tough time, go to any competition in MANAUS. That is the hardest place in the world to compete...

But if you really want to learn and get your ass kicked and have a tough time, go to any competition in MANAUS. That is the hardest place in the world to compete...

Go on....

I know all the guys I've met from Manaus are tough, but I thought Rio was generally regarded as the top place in Brazil.

Go on....

I know all the guys I've met from Manaus are tough, but I thought Rio was generally regarded as the top place in Brazil.

common mistake.. theres no such city as the top place for jiu jitsu.. pretty much like soccer, jiu jitsu developed across the country and even tho there are a lot of differences in the game itself you cand find very deep quality of opponents and instruction in every 'big' city... S

Go on....

I disagree with Fernando. Manaus have great guys indeed, but rather because it has many guys that make out of jiu-jitsu their living. It is a poor state and you have many social projects, therefore you have many guys that grew training jiu-jitsu as there main chance of getting a better life. If you want to train with intensity and you are looking more for good partner rather than high level teaching you should look for academies in less wealthy places, such as Cicero Costa in Sao Paulo.

I consider Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Manaus the best places for training BJJ. In Rio you still have many old school senseis and a high concentration of great instructors, such as Rico Vieira (Leo Vieiras brother), Fernando Terere, Roberto Gordo (the academy is a few meters from CRs house), Carlos Rosado (Carlson Gracies Red belt), Jefferson Moura (GB HQ), etc. You probably wont find the same viarity in other cities, even though you will probably find BJJ academies almost anywhere you go.

Sao Paulo is great for training also, but depending on the academy you choose (such as Alliance) you will have to spend a lot of money. As I said before, the academies where there are social projects are the ones you will probably find the best training partners. You have Cicero Costa and Dida Jiu-jitsu as an example. If you go to Santos you can also get to train with Cavaca, Buchechas teacher.

If I were you I would choose Rio. You will be able to do a turistic visit and since Connection Rio is located here it will be much easier for you to organize your trip. I am brazilian and train under Gordo.

Thank u guys for all the great responses.

Does anyone have any references about the worlds from CBJJE? This year a lot of people from my country went there and compete and my instructor was thinking about taking me and another training partner to compete there (since the worlds from IBJJF are in the States) but you know since the trip is so expensive I would like to make the most of it and be sure that we are competing in a serious and prestigious tournament (which probably means that we make sure that we'll get our buts kicked lol)

Back