Question about beer

Aprentice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello

I have trained BJJ for 4 years and competed intensively for the first 3. Specially in year 2 and 3 I was very into it, winning many competitions and even travelling for some larger ones. I was really disciplined with my diet and only had like 1 330 ml beer per month! I really love beer, always has been my favorite drink, but I was just extremely focused.

on the 4th year, due to work and other things in life, i had to stop competing and spent a year training normally, every day (instead of twice-3 times a day and competing every single month). I also became less disciplined with my diet.

Now, i decided that its time to get back on track and I am back to training alot and will start competing again in the first week of october. My final short-term objective is 2016 pan ams.

I have been cutting many habits that i was having during this last year, including the occasional chocolate (love), pizza, and beer. For me, the hardest thing to remove has been the beer.

Finally, my question: would you say that it is OK for an athlete to have about 1 liter of beer per week (for example, one 330 ml beer 3 days a week), considering that this is the only "flaw" in his diet?

Yes.

But I'm an alcoholic, so my viewpoint may be biased.

Yeah of course, man.

Also - an alcoholic in Algeria? Ballsy...

It'll hurt you. Not so much during day to day training, but peaking for competition any alcohol is noticeable. For me it just destroys my energy levels when I'm near peak fitness. If it's just alcohol you're after, I'd recommend wine instead. But none at all would be better.

That's not much beer, it shouldn't hurt you, you'll be fine. Top athletes, fighters, drink all the time.

It'll hurt you. Not so much during day to day training, but peaking for competition any alcohol is noticeable. For me it just destroys my energy levels when I'm near peak fitness. If it's just alcohol you're after, I'd recommend wine instead. But none at all would be better.

thanks for the replies guys!

Uchi, saying I want to peak in about 6, when would you cut it down to zero?

Yeah, in Magic Johnson's autobiography he mentions how there were coolers of soda, juice and beer in their locker rooms after the games.

Yeah, this was the 80s, but it was still the highest level of pro basketball.

You are doing more harm stressing about achieving a perfect diet.

Have had all night binge fests a week before fights on two occasions. Rule of thumb was to refrain from boozing three weeks before the fight. Had timed these drinking sessions to coincide with my day off.

Noticed a lot of fighters, both amateur and pros that never laid of booze leading up to big fights.

Back