question about a move frank mir did

buttski

White Belt
Reaction score
i have seen this move done by other people, and have basically figured out how to do it
but tips and what the move is called would be appreciated

frank is laying on his back, he has one leg over the opp legs to control, one leg controlling the opp back, and then he reaches for the arm that is posted on the ground grabs it and pins the wrist against his ribs and cranks the elbow inward twisting it like an americana

Shoulderlock. I like the look on Pete Williams face, priceless.

FistInFace said:
Shoulderlock. I like the look on Pete Williams face, priceless.
sheer pain :icon_twis

on the greenwhale video they went over that sub and the counter. Pete apparently didn't know the counter.
although the counter puts you in a bad position, at least you keep your shoulder in tact.

buttski said:
pins the wrist against his ribs and cranks the elbow inward twisting it like an americana

It's just a shoulder crank man. Pin the wrist with your arm, push the elbow up with the wrist, and reinforce your hand with your other hand. Control with the legs from guard or half guard.

It is a nice sub, and always brought to my attention the lack of basic jiu jitsu in some fighters. I've never drilled that crank, or had it done on me, but even without having seen it before, any sensible jiu jitsu player would never let their arm become pinned like that, it's just asking for trouble. Omo plata, kimura, straight armbar, scissor sweep, triangle, cutting armbar, all basic subs that can be setup easily by simply pinning that arm. Not to mention in Frank and Petey's case, you can't defend strikes from that side.

I wanted to see Williams make a nice comeback in that fight, but seeing such a perfect crank so early in a fight that started like it was going to be a war, was definitely a fair trade. :)

Go Frank, you good thing.

thanks, it was that fight with pete williams...
anyone seen it done in another fight?

That was the kind of submission that makes Mir fans (myself included) pray that he is ready for his comeback.

Nothing against Arlovski, who is a quality fighter, but nothing would make me happier than for the UFC HW champ to be a jiu jitsu guy.

That was sick, i never seen that before til then. That was real slick.

Back