Movies Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

If you have seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I had no interest in this whatsoever but thought ‘why not’. I really enjoyed it. I would have like to have seen what went on with Pitts character and his wife

Fantastic in-depth interview with the editor:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-raskin-hollywood/

Fred-Raskin_Photo-by-Wm.-Stetz..jpg

Yeah, after seeing this a couple more times; my rating goes up to almost a 9. This was a damn great film.

Good movie, yet still one of QT’s worst. Just goes to show you what a movie-making stud this guy is

I was a little confused while watching it how it was a Tarantino movie (with a few exceptions) and then the final act happened. Was brilliant and I need to rewatch it

I'm not really a fan of QT's revisionist history in either this or Basterds. It just makes the whole thing feel very strange.

As is though I loved this movie. It's definitely in his Top 3. I absolutely loved that he shot on film and used practical effects as much as humanly possible. He didn't bitch out and go the lazy and easy route like 99.9% of Hollywood today. He actually turned parts of LA into 60s LA with REAL effects. That's amazing.

Also, I gotta say, for some reason the scene in the beginning with Brad Pitt cooking Mac & Cheese was so damn interesting. I'm not sure how QT managed to pull that off but watching the guy prepare his dinner for like 2 minutes straight was great. It wasn't boring and it didn't lag at all.

What's everyone's favorite scene in the movie?

I've been meaning to watch this one again.

I just love the atmosphere of it.

What's everyone's favorite scene in the movie?

Not sure but it's between these three...

- Brad Pitt at the Spahn ranch
- Pitt vs. Bruce Lee
- DiCaprio going from his character doing bad acting to his character doing good acting in that Western show

- DiCaprio going from his character doing bad acting to his character doing good acting in that Western show

This was mine. The whole thing of seeing him pull it together was great. Then the director comes up to him and applauds him, and the little girl whispers to him that that was best acting she'd ever seen, then just the look on his face right after. I know exactly what that look feels like. It was a really beautiful scene that touched me.

This was mine. The whole thing of seeing him pull it together was great. Then the director comes up to him and applauds him, and the little girl whispers to him that that was best acting she'd ever seen, then just the look on his face right after. I know exactly what that look feels like. It was a really beautiful scene that touched me.

It was a pretty impressive acting performance...three actual levels of acting in quick succession. Rick Dalton doing bad acting but earnestly trying, Rick Dalton then doing pretty good acting, and then DiCaprio's actual acting which is better than Dalton's best stuff.

Imagine your favorite director making a movie just for you. Thats what this movie was for me.

Tarantino couldn't be more Tarantino than OUATIH. Fully indulged in his own style in every way and I couldn't love it more.

It was a pretty impressive acting performance...three actual levels of acting in quick succession. Rick Dalton doing bad acting but earnestly trying, Rick Dalton then doing pretty good acting, and then DiCaprio's actual acting which is better than Dalton's best stuff.

Did he end up winning anything for his performance? Did the movie win any sort of award? I do seem to recall it was cheated out of Best Picture by a foreign film. Which the foreign film has its own category so it shouldn't even have been in there to begin with. But did this win anything else?

Imagine your favorite director making a movie just for you. Thats what this movie was for me.

Tarantino couldn't be more Tarantino than OUATIH. Fully indulged in his own style in every way and I couldn't love it more.

Is it your favorite movie of all time? Where does it rank on that list?

I love how there's not really even a arc to it. It's literally just a day in the life of these characters. It really is beautiful.

I would love to see the writing process Tarantino went through on this movie and how he did it. It's so thick and layered. It's mind boggling how he was able to put it all together and make it work in such a short period of time. What did it take him to make the movie? 3-4 years from script to screen? It's absolutely unreal. And then just for fun he wrote an entire season of Bounty Law to help him better understand it and to help him to better figure out how to incorporate it into the movie. It's just wild how creative this guy is.

Last edited:
Did he end up winning anything for his performance? Did the movie win any sort of award? I do seem to recall it was cheated out of Best Picture by a foreign film. Which the foreign film has its own category so it shouldn't even have been in there to begin with. But did this win anything else?

Pitt won for best supporting. It was nominated for best actor, director, screenplay, best picture and then some more that most people don't care about.

I don't think any of the other best supporting actor nominees were robbed here. I think the biggest case would be saying that Pitt was also a leading actor in the movie. That issue came up with Pacino in the first Godfather movie.

I personally don't mind if a foreign picture wins Best Foreign and Best Overall. Theoretically if it is also better than any non-foreign pictures, I guess it ought to win the overall award as well. But there's not much rhyme or reason or consistency as to when that or anything else happens, so I don't give any of that much thought anymore.

Is it your favorite movie of all time? Where does it rank on that list?

I love how there's not really even a story to it. It's literally just a day in the life of these characters. It really is beautiful.

I would love to see the writing process Tarantino went through on this movie and how he did it. It's so thick and layered. It's mind boggling how he was able to put it all together and make it work in such a short period of time. What did it take him to make the movie? 3-4 years from script to screen? It's absolutely unreal.

The more I watch it, the higher up the list it crawls up my list, if its not #1 it probably will be one of these days.

I'm the guy who would go on vacation to LA and watch movies at all my favorite theaters then drive around the Hollywood Hills at night...And I would go on the various studio tours (paramount, warner brothers, universal) and revel in atmosphere. I just loved watching people go about their business and listening to the impassioned speech of the crew that took the time to speak to us (Bruce Dern even walk right by me on a tour once)...

Emma Stone's reaction in this video was pretty much me anywhere I went on a studio tour:

So when my favorite director makes a movie where people drive around LA and hang around a movie studio for the majority of it, of course I'm going to fall in love with it.

Here is a video of QT talking about the process of writing/making the film:

Last edited:
Here is a video of QT talking about the process of writing/making the film:

I just love how much he loves to make movies and the entire process of it. You can tell he's outright obsessed with the entire process.

I know he's said he only has one movie left in him but dammit I hope he's able to work with Tom Cruise before he retires. I know they came close with this movie but it couldn't quite get there. I definitely want to see Cruise work with both Tarantino and Nolan. And I'd like to see Christian Bale work with Tarantino too. I think that would be wild.

And I want to see Leo and Cruise and Bale all work together at some point. I think they'd really bring out the best in one another.

The more I watch it, the higher up the list it crawls up my list, if its not #1 it probably will be one of these days.

I'm the guy who would go on vacation to LA and watch movies at all my favorite theaters then drive around the Hollywood Hills at night...And I would go on the various studio tours (paramount, warner brothers, universal) and revel in atmosphere. I just loved watching people go about their business and listening to the impassioned speech of the crew that look the time to speak to us (Bruce Dern even walk right by me on a tour once)...

Emma Stone's reaction in this video was pretty much me anywhere I went on a studio tour:

That's awesome man. I never thought of taking a studio tour before but now that you bring it up I think I'll look into it the next time I'm in LA. How would you rank each tour? Which was the best? (Are there tier of each tour? If so, what's the best option or tier to go with for the tour?)

I've driven in the Hollywood Hills before, but not a whole lot. I think I may do it more now. At night sounds almost even better.

Back