Movies Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

If you have seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Home Theater room. somebody is boasting.

Leo's performance in this was underrated. He is superb.

Can't say I disagree. It's definitely a slow burn type of movie.

It was OK, but honestly my least favorite of Tarantino's movies. I just watched it Saturday night in the comfort of my home theater room. If I'd gone to see it in theater, probably would have given it a lower score than a 7 tbh.

Can't decide how I really feel about it. The last 20 minutes is great, but I'm not sure the payoff at the end is worth the wait getting there.
90 minutes in and I’m still I’m my phone. Django is movie that can be watched several times, this is nonsense. Acting is good just very boring

A "star-studded" mediocrity, imho.
Quentin used to be a genius hack with his earlier works. Lately it's mostly hack and not so much genius. Sadly.

Couldn't finish it after nearly an hour and a half. Easily his worst movie and most masturbatory ode to whatever he was apeing/celebrating. Dull beyond words and I say this as someone who loves a slow burn movie or show. Awful characters all around, too. His films have suffered greatly after the death of his long time editor.

<Lmaoo>It never gets old seeing a bunch jerk offs admittedly being rustled, by the Bruce Lee scene. <45>

Just got around to seeing.

I give it somewhere between a 7 and 8.

Stylish, funny, Leo is on point.

Not a hell of a lot going on beyond that though, tbh.

Best Tarantino film since the 90s, but still not as good as 90s Tarantino, is how I would sum it up.

Top 3 QT film of all time.

Best movie of last year.

giphy.gif

Come at me hippies

source.gif

lol at people crying about Bruce Lee scene. having watched the movie, I read more the reasoning and origins of that scene. Lee had something against stunt doubles and always went hard on them in fighting scenes to make it more realistic as he said it. that's one step down from Segal who liked to kick people in the nuts to keep them on their toes. the fight with Pitt's character, which arguably ended in a draw, also has roots in the Green Hornet tv series, where Lee didnt want to lose to some character on the show ffs, so they had to make it a draw.
Lee got his armpit sweat glands removed ffs because he thought sweaty pits looked ugly. the dude was a grade douchebag.

lol at people crying about Bruce Lee scene. having watched the movie, I read more the reasoning and origins of that scene. Lee had something against stunt doubles and always went hard on them in fighting scenes to make it more realistic as he said it. that's one step down from Segal who liked to kick people in the nuts to keep them on their toes. the fight with Pitt's character, which arguably ended in a draw, also has roots in the Green Hornet tv series, where Lee didnt want to lose to some character on the show ffs, so they had to make it a draw.
Lee got his armpit sweat glands removed ffs because he thought sweaty pits looked ugly. the dude was a grade douchebag.
I don't know enough about Bruce Lee to have an informed opinion about him as a person, but almost everyone that big, must have some degree of douchebag in them.

Is it on Netflix or anything yet? I love QT but missed this in theaters

I don't know enough about Bruce Lee to have an informed opinion about him as a person, but almost everyone that big, must have some degree of douchebag in them.
and that is fine. my post was not about that. I just find it hilarious that people act like he was some kind of a saint or the nicest guy around and get upset about that scene, when most probably they dont know enough either.

God this movie was so boring and a total waste of time. Just a bunch of arbitrary nonsense scenes thrown together.

On my 3rd watch now. This movie gets better on every watch imo I know Brad did a stellar job but I think Leo definitely gave the best performance. Movie is easily 9/10 and in my top 5 QT films, possibly top 3 but definitely #4.

Leo's breakdown in the trailer was insanely good

@Peteyandjia does your QT list go Kill Bill, Pulp and then Hollywood? That might be mine although Basterds and Hollywood could flip flop.

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

I LOVES me some Tarantino, but I don't know about this one. I don't want to call it aimless, because it is just a character study for the most part, but I can't say I saw much of a point to it all. It's a cliche story about a once famous big shot actor trying to get his groove back, a stunt double character who has a shady past that doesn't really matter or add up to anything, and seems his only purpose in the movie is to act cool and beat people up occasionally. Oh' and a fictional retelling of the Manson murders is in there for some reason.

On top of that, none of the little Tarantino off beat quirks really worked here. From pointless editing flubs, to needlessly overlong and out of place narration, to silly cartoon violence just for the sake of it. None of it lands, and it all seems a little forced. The dialog wasn't anything special either.

It's not all bad, as there are sparse moments that are really good, usually involving a building tension that is expertly crafted. The whole sequence with Pitt at the Manson family compound is really good, and grabs your attention, as does the final sequence involving the Manson family stalking the streets. Unfortunately, those are the only real memorable scenes in the movie, and you're basically watching Dicapro's character mope around for most of the running time.

I will say that this could turn out to be one those creeper flicks, where the more you watch it, the more you like it, but as for my initial impressions...eh', not too impressed. Probably Tarantino's weakest feature next to Death Proof, and I'm not entirely sure if I'd rank it above or below that one.

6/10

It's possible I missed something. It is a very long and numbing movie. Explain.

Exploring this one particular angle of what I consider an exquisitely fine film... the elephant way in the back of the room, quietly begs the question: did Cliff Booth murder his wife? And if so, is his massacre of the Manson family, after a number of years of disgraced obscurity, a somewhat redemptive act?

Or: did something else happen on that boat, a true accident? And if so, is Cliff Booth more akin to something like a zen angel, clad all in white, wandering the realm, perched over man’s shoulder; ready as always to answer the call, when a murder of demons tries to wreak evil upon the Earth...

BE833231-0-F9-F-4-FE3-BA02-CD19-F4-A3-EF65.jpg

Like much great art, the answer is seemingly left almost entirely up to you, without expressly saying so; & yet, while also feeling like there is a definite answer. It is perhaps the ‘What’s in the briefcase?’ of OUATIH. And this, just one of many, many reasons I Love this film, & find it fascinating. I would definitely say give it a rewatch sometime down the road.

Exploring this one particular angle of what I consider an exquisitely fine film... the elephant way in the back of the room, quietly begs the question: did Cliff Booth murder his wife? And if so, is his massacre of the Manson family, after a number of years of disgraced obscurity, a somewhat redemptive act?

Or: did something else happen on that boat, a true accident? And if so, is Cliff Booth more akin to something like a zen angel, clad all in white, wandering the realm, perched over a man’s shoulder; ready as always to answer the call, when a murder of demons tries to wreak evil upon the Earth...

<{vega}>

That's not exactly the revelation you sold it as. It's an interpretation. Not anything that one would be automatically expected to theorize over.

I will be re-watching it though. Definitely had a vibe of a flick that requires repeated viewings to truly appreciate, as it's not only a very slow burn, but kind of sucker punches your expectations which can mess with your mood on the initial watch. I kind of felt the same after my initial viewing of "Kill Bill Vol 2". It just didn't click. Now I love it though. Sometimes not liking a movie you know wasn't made by a hack, can be a good thing, as it's possible you just didn't dig deep enough into it, and things went over your head. Much like it's not always great to love a movie the first time out, as they can reveal themselves to be shallow and have nothing more to offer outside of a good first impression.

I'll see what's what with this fucker down the road, when I've had a chance to fully digest it all.

Back