Television Queen of England Actress, WUT?

It's not total nonsense
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180207-how-americans-preserved-british-english

It's definitely questionable, and I think the 'science' behind historical accent study is a little iffy. But there is apparently something to the idea of American accents preserving some older English accents.

It is pretty much nonsense. Don't need to read the BBC article I've seen this myth before and it's a bit daft in all honesty. The fact that modern standard English received pronunciation lost features (such as rhoticism) which some American accents retained is not the same thing as modern american being "closer" to Tudor English. There are plenty of features of Tudor english which would sound nothing alike american accents, and there are many other English accents today which do preserve some those same features. It would also pre-suppose that the British accent evolved, but the american one somehow stayed locked in time.

Thing is, people haven’t. People have been bitching about it for a long time. Hollywood just refused to listen since they thought they had to cast a famous white person in the role or it wouldn’t sell.
Was speaking more about these threads on here. Which are usually filled with people saying imagine if they recast a minority role with a white person!

Seemingly not knowing that Hollywood has quite a long history of doing that.

I don't really care about any of this, but if POC don't like it when white people play their characters and it's deemed socially unacceptable, why do they think it's okay to play white characters and it's deemed socially acceptable?

I do realize that there is a history of white characters playing POC in Hollywood, but this was also a time when the United States was 80-90% White people. Nobody bitches about the lack of dirversity in Bollywood movies.

I'd cast young Urkel to play Lesnar in a bio pic. Dude is just a jacked white boy! Deal with it!

Back