Quality Usman v Colby wrestling breakdown

Ed Gallo always puts a lot of good information in his articles. Breaks down international wrestling matches well, especially for novices like myself.

Woodley was D1, so I guess it's not always about what college/division you were in

In short:
5'9 RDA the lightweight BJJ/muay thai striker with solid wrestling had some success grappling with Colby and none with Usman.
Guess what 6'0 wrestler Usman is doing with his 4 inch reach advantage over Colby

Good read, author centred it around clinch fighting in RDA fights, but there's a lot more to talk about Covington's gnp tactics that are mechanically less efficient.
I.E. strking from broken posture with the head pinned on the opponent's chest, opportunistic hopping over hooks while holding a tight-waist in order to pass, etc.
It also sorta makes Colby's output look even more impressive. How can he go away with such inefficiency and still grab and punch for 25 minutes?

Colby rarely ever wins a clinch battle when he's the initiator, but always wins when he's pressed against the cage.
If you come up offesively, trying to wrestle Covington, most likely he has your number.
He won't need to wrestle to beat Usman.

The fight will be chaotic afair where I expect Covington to be defending clinch agression and cage pins, and Usman to defend himself from Covington's endless striking output in the open by either grabbing or fading.

In short:
5'9 RDA the lightweight BJJ/muay thai striker with solid wrestling had some success grappling with Colby and none with Usman.
Guess what 6'0 wrestler Usman is doing with his 4 inch reach advantage over Colby
I also think Colby’s “cardio advantage” is press press press. Guess what counters a press? A jab.
Guess what slows down a high grapple pace. Body shots. And Usman is amazing at landing body shots in the clinch and on the ground. Usman directly counters Colby’s strengths in my opinion

That was actually a good breakdown fair assessment on both men, Colby is f*ked...

Nah. Dont believe Colby will show up

Good read.
Really excited for this fight I’m curious to see the outcome.

In short:
Are you categorically saying that the black guy is going to have the following effect on the shorter white guy?
<iframe src='' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='412'></iframe><p> <a href="

Excellent article, a lot of good info I didn’t know about. Also a nice technical breakdown of the grappling in both guys fights against RDA.

Thanks @SeattleFightFan !

Does it address what Usman is like NOT on EPO?
No. But it does bring up that although Colby was D1 and Usman was D2, Colby wrestles all his life and maxed out at 5th place in Nationals, whereas Usman began wrestling in high school and went for the Olympics. So Usman arguably peaked higher and faster (eg possibly is just a better athlete - that’s my interpretation, not stated in the article).

No. But it does bring up that although Colby was D1 and Usman was D2, Colby wrestles all his life and maxed out at 5th place in Nationals, whereas Usman began wrestling in high school and went for the Olympics. So Usman arguably peaked higher and faster (eg possibly is just a better athlete - that’s my interpretation, not stated in the article).
And possibly why both his knees are shot

I can see Colby out working him in general especially in the later rounds

Ed Gallo always puts a lot of good information in his articles. Breaks down international wrestling matches well, especially for novices like myself.

Woodley was D1, so I guess it's not always about what college/division you were in
Thanks for that. Knowing BE is just a random collection of writers, I should be able to discern the good from the bad. And just because most are bad :) of course a few must be good.

I didn’t know Gallo but will keep my eye on him. Cheers.

And possibly why both his knees are shot

I can see Colby out working him in general especially in the later rounds

that does seem to be his best chance. and the biggest question - can he outwork Usman, or is Usman just too stodgy, too solid, too scary.

Back