Quadriplegic training BJJ...

Okay, here's a newsflash for some of you. Disabled folks don't just sit at home on the couch feeling depressed. They are jumping out of planes, becomming doctors and lawyers, climbing Mount Everest, competing in the Special Olympics, and doing a host of other things. It's not like they can't do anything with themselves. You people act like they are parting the freaking Red Sea by doing stuff well withing their abilities while being disabled. They might actually find your attitude insulting.

Is it inspiring? Maybe if you're not used to being around disabled folks. It is obviously awesome for him - just like it was for you when you got your blue. Does this dude deserve a bluebelt under the same standards used to test others for a blue belt? Of course not, because the guy is unable to perform the physical acts required to get a blue under those standards. For instance, he cannot close his guard. A normal bluebelt test includes techniques performed from the closed guard.

So, he's getting a blue under his own set of standards, apparently approved by Gracie Combatives. Do I care at all? No. I'm glad for him. That's it.

Do I think this guy is super special and rad because he's doing this? No. I've worked with tons disabled folks, from MS patients to traumatic brain injury patients, all of whom were simply going about their business, working their best with their disability, just like this guy and millions of others.

I agree with you, and I really know where you come from. My father is disabled, and I deal with people with all sorts of disabilities in a daily basis.

Awesome video, though, and what I especially love is seeing how he adapted techniques to his own body. That's what is the most inspiring about the videos. If you don't have a dog, you gotta hunt with a cat.

The belt isn't always just a representation of physical ability. Helio didn't lose his belt as he got older and lost his ability to keep up with other black belts. The belt is also a representation of how much you know. He may not be able to apply his knowledge but atleast he could tell someone how to do it correctly.
-Dan

I was going to post something similar.

You guys are bitches. The guy is disabled in a big way, and still trains. Let him have his fucking blue belt you babies.

You guys are bitches. The guy is disabled in a big way, and still trains. Let him have his fucking blue belt you babies.

god. whole heartedly this. dont like it, move the fuck on. at least this guys doing more than posting on sherdog for accolades like half of this shit talking "warriors" on here that are actually 15 yr old babies.

Back