Quadriplegic training BJJ...

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Saying things like "I am not impressed by his performance" and "he shouldnt be able to test for a blue belt" is petty and classless. I would like to see any of you simply deal with being a quadriplegic, let alone get past it and go on to dedicate yourself to something where you are at an immediate disadvantage. Its just a blue belt, its not like the Gracie Academy is just handed him a brown. A Blue Belt doesnt signify anything other than the Knowledge necessary to apply the basic concepts of jiu jitsu on an opponent and defend yourself in a fight using the basic techniques. If you think otherwise then you are lying to yourselves(and probably a blue belt).

This is exactly why Gracie Jiujitsu was invented, so that a weaker person could overcome a larger and more physically fit individual. It's ridiculous the attitude that some of yo have.

Okay, seriously people...let's get something straight...

Paraplegic = can't use legs, can use arms (which is what this guy is)
Quadriplegic = can't use arms or legs (which this guy isn't)

Stop calling him a quadriplegic! It's like some of you never went to basic math class or something...

Get over yourself. He does not have full use of his arms

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Saying things like "I am not impressed by his performance" and "he shouldnt be able to test for a blue belt" is petty and classless. I would like to see any of you simply deal with being a quadriplegic, let alone get past it and go on to dedicate yourself to something where you are at an immediate disadvantage. Its just a blue belt, its not like the Gracie Academy is just handed him a brown. A Blue Belt doesnt signify anything other than the Knowledge necessary to apply the basic concepts of jiu jitsu on an opponent and defend yourself in a fight using the basic techniques. If you think otherwise then you are lying to yourselves(and probably a blue belt).

+1

What happened to this forum? When did we become so collectively insecure that we would want to deny someone who obviously is trained in our favorite martial art a tiny token of accomplishment like a blue belt? Also, what's up with the know-it-alls who can't tell the difference between a paraplegia and quadriplegia? *scratching head*

Okay, seriously people...let's get something straight...

Paraplegic = can't use legs, can use arms (which is what this guy is)
Quadriplegic = can't use arms or legs (which this guy isn't)

Stop calling him a quadriplegic! It's like some of you never went to basic math class or something...

Not to knock what I'm certain is a real talent with basic math, but you're off base here. Quadriplegics have spine injuries that affect both lower and upper extremities, but the degree to which those limbs are affected varies greatly from case to case and can shift over time. I've known Quads who've retained some functioning in all four limbs and others who couldn't move anything but their eyes.

What is Quadriplegia - Quadriplegic Facts and Definition

Quadriplegia is caused by damage to the brain or the spinal cord at a high level C1 - C7 - in particular, spinal cord injuries secondary to an injury to the cervical spine. The injury, known as a lesion, causes victims to lose partial or total function of all four limbs, meaning the arms and the legs. Quadriplegia is defined in many ways; C1-C4 usually affects arm movement more so than a C5-C7 injury (Spine and spinal cord picture and information C1 to S5 Vertebra); however all quadriplegics have or have had some kind of finger dysfunction. So, it is not uncommon to have a quadriplegic with fully functional arms, only having their fingers not working.

They even have their own sporting competitions:

Home | United States Quad Rugby Association

Okay, here's a newsflash for some of you. Disabled folks don't just sit at home on the couch feeling depressed. They are jumping out of planes, becomming doctors and lawyers, climbing Mount Everest, competing in the Special Olympics, and doing a host of other things. It's not like they can't do anything with themselves. You people act like they are parting the freaking Red Sea by doing stuff well withing their abilities while being disabled. They might actually find your attitude insulting.

Is it inspiring? Maybe if you're not used to being around disabled folks. It is obviously awesome for him - just like it was for you when you got your blue. Does this dude deserve a bluebelt under the same standards used to test others for a blue belt? Of course not, because the guy is unable to perform the physical acts required to get a blue under those standards. For instance, he cannot close his guard. A normal bluebelt test includes techniques performed from the closed guard.

So, he's getting a blue under his own set of standards, apparently approved by Gracie Combatives. Do I care at all? No. I'm glad for him. That's it.

Do I think this guy is super special and rad because he's doing this? No. I've worked with tons disabled folks, from MS patients to traumatic brain injury patients, all of whom were simply going about their business, working their best with their disability, just like this guy and millions of others.

Last edited:
I honestly have met very few quadriplegics and paraplegics so I cannot judge anything. But I will be completely honest, when I saw this last night I was amazed and loved BJJ that much more because of this.

Man I knew I was gonna get shit on for that. Sorry, ha. It was just eating at me since I saw the vid last night.

No, what he's doing is amazing. Is it 100% effective? No, not really. Is he doing something that he can do to his fullest and be somewhat effective about it? Yes.

I mean, shit, this guy is a blue belt before I am. Says something about him and his work ethic and discipline. It'll make you stop and consider it before you stay home from class one day because your legs are a little sore.

Not to knock what I'm certain is a real talent with basic math, but you're off base here. Quadriplegics have spine injuries that affect both lower and upper extremities, but the degree to which those limbs are affected varies greatly from case to case and can shift over time. I've known Quads who've retained some functioning in all four limbs and others who couldn't move anything but their eyes.

What is Quadriplegia - Quadriplegic Facts and Definition

They even have their own sporting competitions:

Home | United States Quad Rugby Association

LOL...the thing that sucks about being wrong on an internet forum is that everyone gets to critique you! I stand corrected! :D

I am not impressed by his performance.

Heaven forbid you're put in the same life predicament he is in. Would you be mentally tough enough to even begin to do what he's doing?.... He has to work 10x as hard at every training. Congrats on all your future belt promotions in advance my friend... Trust me, no one will be impressed with your promotions..

Okay, here's a newsflash for some of you. Disabled folks don't just sit at home on the couch feeling depressed. They are jumping out of planes, becomming doctors and lawyers, climbing Mount Everest, competing in the Special Olympics, and doing a host of other things. It's not like they can't do anything with themselves. You people act like they are parting the freaking Red Sea by doing stuff well withing their abilities while being disabled. They might actually find your attitude insulting.

Is it inspiring? Maybe if you're not used to being around disabled folks. It is obviously awesome for him - just like it was for you when you got your blue. Does this dude deserve a bluebelt under the same standards used to test others for a blue belt? Of course not, because the guy is unable to perform the physical acts required to get a blue under those standards. For instance, he cannot close his guard. A normal bluebelt test includes techniques performed from the closed guard.

So, he's getting a blue under his own set of standards, apparently approved by Gracie Combatives. Do I care at all? No. I'm glad for him. That's it.

Do I think this guy is super special and rad because he's doing this? No. I've worked with tons disabled folks, from MS patients to traumatic brain injury patients, all of whom were simply going about their business, working their best with their disability, just like this guy and millions of others.

Just wanted to add to this post.

Everyone should watch this video:
YouTube - LOOK AT YOURSELF AFTER WATCHING THIS.mp4

(If someone can help me embed that would be great).

Well spoken dude. It's just a blue belt after all. Let the man have his moment! He obviously worked hard to achieve it.

The belt isn't always just a representation of physical ability. Helio didn't lose his belt as he got older and lost his ability to keep up with other black belts. The belt is also a representation of how much you know. He may not be able to apply his knowledge but atleast he could tell someone how to do it correctly.
-Dan

I have always had a problem with how choreographed the Gracie University videos are, and I think it takes away from what this guy has done. I'm not going to say that this guy hasn't worked hard or been creative in adapting the techniques. But it looks as if his partner gives no resistance or just complies completely with what is going on.

There were videos on here from the Gracie Pro/Am with a paraplegic tearing it up in a match. That inspired me seeing somebody going out and competing and proving his skills despite being physically impaired. Gracie University choreography class just doesn't have the same affect on me.

Back