1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Q: The Latest on Overhead Presses

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BeRGLeZ, Nov 13, 2005.

1. BeRGLeZ

BeRGLeZ Ramenbowl

Hi all, wondering what the latest debate is on overhead pressing? Searching finds varied results, and as research continues to change opinions I was wondering what the latest was for overhead pressing.
    Seated Dumbell Overhead Presses vs Military Presses?
    Thx~ :D

2. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

The debate didnt come to an end.

Funny pic btw. :)

3. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Actually, I'm a big fan of standing DB overhead presses. i think there's much more trap recruitment and stabilization required to perform them. however, I'm currently focused on BB militariy presses. I think it's FC fighter, not the overhead DB press that is teh ghey. HA! in any event, personally, i'm not sure the amount of work required to get a solid overhead press (given that most people respond well to high frequency, high volume work) is worth it for an athlete. however I like the reduced strain placed on the rotator cuff (which endures enough torment from other athletic endevors) and the simultaneous recruitment of so many muscles when you push something overhead. It's definitely something I think people should play with and decide for themselves whether it works for them.

4. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

I refer BB standing but DB is good as well since it requires more stabilizer muscles

5. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I prefer standing BB press, sometimes do DB for a change but I much prefer BB, can shift a hell of a lot more weight that way whereas I find its a stabilisation issue for DB.

6. BeRGLeZ

BeRGLeZ Ramenbowl

thanks for the replies, I've been out of the lifting scene for a while and the last I had heard was Overhead Presses were ultimately detrimental -_-"

7. SmashiusClay

Any reason why?

8. Headache

Headache White Belt

Try the clean and press. It is much more taxing and will improve your conditioning for MMA training too.

9. Wolverine

Wolverine Green Belt

When you guys do the standing BB press. Do you guys go infront of behind the head?

Wolverine
    ///

10. PariahCarey

PariahCarey Purple Belt

I've been doing dumbell push-presses since coming to the S&P forum w/dumbells and have been getting amazing results. People have started to ask if i'm on steriods...i do them striaght up no in front or behind with dumbells...

11. SmashiusClay

In front of the head, I find the other way puts too much strain on my shoulders.

12. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Interesting to see a swing in the other direction. About a year ago a mentioned the importance if military presses vs flat benching and received negative responses from multiple individuals.

For athletic improvement in most sports, the standing barbell press is more important than the bench press. It requires your abs and posterior chain to contract in a static fashion while stabilizing your core during the entire movement. This specificity of static strength expression is unique and has a direct carry over to fighting and various other sports.

Dumbells have benefits that barbells don't; as such, do not substitute one for the other given that they each of unique benefits.

Wolverine, do not perform barbell presses behind you neck, regardless of whether you possess the flexibility or not.

13. Ent, What about Bradford presses behind the neck?

14. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

I won't discount the benefits given that Bradford presses and behind the neck presses hit the entire delt complex slightly more completely than presses to the front. Even so, dumbell work allows a safer combination of the two without the potential negative effects of the rotators during behind the neck work.

15. Wolverine

Wolverine Green Belt

Sounds good!

Thanks Entropy!

Wolverine
    ///

16. Understood. Thanks :)

17. Lusst

Lusst Red Belt

Standing BB press, in front of head for teh win, 4evr.

18. ballhawkdawk

ballhawkdawk ****ing Gumshoe's dad

Everyone seems to have a routine they like for the OHP, whether it be BB or DB. I think it's safe to assume everyone has seen results with their preferred method or else they wouldn't be doing it, so to conclude, just stick with whatever you feel works the best.

19. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

Don't forget about handstand pushups!!! They rule.

20. SmashiusClay

the problem comes when the blood rushes to your head and you fall over. that used to really piss me off, reason why I do overhead press.