Q: If Fedor is the GOAT

If I'm not mistaken, even the vast majority of fighters recognize Fedor as the GOAT.

True. Nostalgia. They love someone they grew up watching. Not unusual. Unless you are Reem and call him out constantly for Ducking..

Sherdog is not most. Fedor is all about Nostalgia man. A lot of fighters grew up rooting for the guy. They love him, I get it. But his strength of schedule, lack of any UFC career, falling apart in his early 30's.. Not the GOAT..
giphy.gif

I can't agree at all.. DC came at him twice with all that ferocity and it got him nowhere. He was outgrappled and outworked in fight 1, and he was knocked out in fight 2. Jones has so many tools, and adapts like no other when he fights. He changes it up on the fly.

That's due to his insane physical attributes.

DC tried to come after him pretty hard, but we can't compare that to what Fedor did in PRIDE. It's two completely different planes of ferocity.

That's due to his insane physical attributes.

DC tried to come after him pretty hard, but we can't compare that to what Fedor did in PRIDE. It's two completely different planes of ferocity.

They have two different styles, I am simply talking about them matching up. I don’t see where Jones would be at a serious risk of losing. He can get hit with a big punch although he has shown an absolute iron jaw. In terms of grappling Jones has a major advantage. If DC failed to seriously out grapple him Fedor is not going to be able to do it.

The only thing that evolve in the last years of MMA is the Weight cut.

oie_noyqGBbOgSEt.jpg

You're trippin. Sub defense, counter grappling, cage work, and boxing have all evolved in the past 10 years.

The premise is that Fedor was the GOAT and his decline was due solely to age and wear and tear and nothing to do with the evolution of MMA.

In fact most Fedor GOAT advocates refuse to acknowledge any evolution in the sport and will happily educate you in that the pinnacle of the sport was in Pride.

So my question is:

If Fedor had the blue print why does everyone today practice wrestling and BJJ rather than Sambo and Judo?? And then how can you say the sport hasnt past him??

You’re using specific styles to determine a fighters greatness?

Clean fedor - not pride fedor gets murdered by clean jones…usada remember!?!?

"Why don't everybody train sambo den?"

Yes....just be literally the best in the world at Sambo for 10 years straight like Fedor. So easy to copy, why dont people just do that?

Also hilarious considering Khabib is the LW champion and is 26-0 with nothing but sambo.
.rofl

The premise is that Fedor was the GOAT and his decline was due solely to age and wear and tear and nothing to do with the evolution of MMA.

In fact most Fedor GOAT advocates refuse to acknowledge any evolution in the sport and will happily educate you in that the pinnacle of the sport was in Pride.

So my question is:

If Fedor had the blue print why does everyone today practice wrestling and BJJ rather than Sambo and Judo?? And then how can you say the sport hasnt past him??
Every day there is some dickhead(like the TS) that starts a Fedor thread like this.

Shows just how Fedor’s greatness makes these morons so insecure and uncomfortable.

SkeletalJampackedFossa.gif

Last edited:
They have two different styles, I am simply talking about them matching up. I don’t see where Jones would be at a serious risk of losing. He can get hit with a big punch although he has shown an absolute iron jaw. In terms of grappling Jones has a major advantage. If DC failed to seriously out grapple him Fedor is not going to be able to do it.

Fedor may not be able to sub him (though I really think he could - those long lanky arms trying to keep Fedor off the top of him, Fedor would catch an arm easily) but I think he'd use his Sambo (back when he actually used it) to get JJ down to the ground and either pound on him, sub him, keep on top of him, or keep throwing him down as JJ keeps trying to get back up. JJ has great TDD against wrestlers, but he's never experienced Fedor's type of Sambo badassery. So because of that I feel that's where Fedor has the extreme advantage. Especially because we've see it work against bigger, longer, heavier guys than JJ.

THE goat talk has been going on forever. I break it down to 2 things. Who held their title the longest w/the most finishes.

Think that is Fedor but Bones is still undefeated w/more to do.

Fedor fought in a time of steroids as did Jones. Hell in Pride they wanted you to take them. When Fedor is being tested by USADA let me know? Jones passed steroid tests for years in the UFC. Fedor did NOT in Pride.. USADA is the difference maker.. Jones was a kid when he came to the UFC. And he became the best LHW of all time. He had legends fighting in his division at that time.

Rashad
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
He was set to fight Hendo
These are legends and he wanted to fight them..

The UFC has never had a great HW division, isn't that the Fedor fan argument anyway? That Fedor is the GOAT even having never come to the UFC because the UFC HW division stinks? So Jones needed to ignore all the studs at LHW to fight at HW why? He was only 27 when things began to fall apart personally for him.

I would like to point out something. Arguing that Jones is great is fine and can actually stand up. Trying to downplay the fact that he was busted for peds by implying that Fedor was also using them in your opinion based on the fact of lack of testing or interest in doing so is not a strong argument.
Go ahead and speculate if you wish but the truth is, that argument is the same as saying people in an area must all be criminals because there are no police there. Unless we see a crime then speculation is pointless. Jon popped and Fedor didn't, all the rest is a matter of peoples opinions.

I would like to point out something. Arguing that Jones is great is fine and can actually stand up. Trying to downplay the fact that he was busted for peds by implying that Fedor was also using them in your opinion based on the fact of lack of testing or interest in doing so is not a strong argument.
Go ahead and speculate if you wish but the truth is, that argument is the same as saying people in an area must all be criminals because there are no police there. Unless we see a crime then speculation is pointless. Jon popped and Fedor didn't, all the rest is a matter of peoples opinions.

You can take my argument down any road you like. I’m simply pointing out that Jones has successfully completed in 16 fights and passed 16 different versions of drug tests in the UFC during his domination. Just saying. Things did change at some point. You have to talk about the different times and eras, and the specifics of rules when discussing two fighters from two different times.

Fedor may not be able to sub him (though I really think he could - those long lanky arms trying to keep Fedor off the top of him, Fedor would catch an arm easily) but I think he'd use his Sambo (back when he actually used it) to get JJ down to the ground and either pound on him, sub him, keep on top of him, or keep throwing him down as JJ keeps trying to get back up. JJ has great TDD against wrestlers, but he's never experienced Fedor's type of Sambo badassery. So because of that I feel that's where Fedor has the extreme advantage. Especially because we've see it work against bigger, longer, heavier guys than JJ.

Fedor I would give him very little if any chance whatsoever to take Jones down at all. He is smaller, not the same level of athlete, I would argue he is not as strong, and Jones throughout his entire career showed not good but Dominant wrestling. Nobody could beat him with wrestling. And he faced a lot of great wrestlers..

I can waste 10 minutes at write things young prime Fedor was able to do, but tbh what's the point

You got a thread like this twice every week lol

Performance wise prime Cain was the closest another MMA HW has been to Fedor, and even Cain did'nt truly reached him

Btw the peak of UFC HWs has been prime Cain/prime JDS and also this is by years a thing of the past

Now you get peoples calling the current biggest fish of the pond GOAT
This week is DC, a couple of months ago was Miocic

Peoples just can't fucking sit down and wait something actually great to happen without trying to artificially make it up

Well IS happening, just at LW
Khabib, Conor* and Ferguson (+ others) in same division is very good
HW is very shit at the moment

*assuming he return to be a MMA fighter of course

He’s nowhere near GOAT.

His completion was laughable, he fought in an unsanctioned corrupt organization, he started looking unimpressive immediately after Pride (wonder why), etc.

Nobody cares about steroids in the UFC before USADA either..

Yes they did. They just got better at catching people with USADA. It was against the rules. Tim sylvia and Josh Barnett failed tests in UFC ffs.

Back