1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Q about BOR`s.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by paolo27th, Oct 4, 2010.

1. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

I`ve had a question for quite a while but never had the good idea to ask fellow sherdoggers. When doing bent over rows I reach a point about 3 inches from my stomach where I suddenly find it hard to keep pulling. The only way to actually bring the bar to my stomach is to either use a much lighter weight or "cheat" using back drive.

So what`s the best option here? Stop there, lift lighter or cheat?

EDIT

Also, what is everyone`s opinion on 1 arm dumbell rows? I ask because my right shoulder is a bit messed up and when using a barbell I tend to do most of the work with the left.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

IMO, both are good. Different people have different opinions on strict vs. sloppy...iirc, Carnal was in favor of heavy and sloppy, whereas KW's in favor of strict. Personally I see it like comparing a strict press to a push press or jerk. They're all good exercises, there maybe times when one is a better choice compared to another, but the most important thing is to lift more weight.

DBs rows are good too. They don't involve the PC, which can be a plus or minus, depending upon the rest of your training. I.e. it can make BORs a better DL assistance exercise, but it also means that if you're doing a lot of squatting and deadlifting, DB rows may be the better choice to get your horizontal pulling fix, to avoid overtraining the PC. One thing I don't like about DB rows is that the width of the DB limits range of motion, Ie. it stops you from doing the last couple inches. Which is why I'll use a KB if I'm not going above 50kg that day.

3. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Cool, thanks.

4. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

1st let me say, Tosa I enjoy reading your posts and generally I agree with everything you say or learn from it.

I have to make an exception to the above though. I find that I get a little more ROM out of DB rows, pulling with the DB parallel to my body and pulling it up to the side of my waist. Why would you get less ROM out of a DB row?

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I've never done DB rows pulling out to the side like that. For me it's just up. and the movement stops when the plates on the DB are against my chest/ribs, but with a kb it when my hand is against my chest/ribs.

As a visual aid, and because it's a awesome video of DB rows, even if it's been posted many times before. If the plates didn't get in the way, there'd be a bit more ROM. That said, I don't think it's a big issue, and for someone who does their rows differently, may not be an issue at all.

On another note, It's a shame you're leaving SD for greener pastures, although I do understand why. But I do respect you for being an mature about it (which, seeing that typed in writing, it occurs to me that it's odd/unfortunate that a grown man being mature is something to note, but such is the case with the intarwebz).

6. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

OK, I can see what you're saying. I do my DB rows similar to BOR I guess, with the hand position neutral and pulling with my elbow next to my body.

Kroc is a freak, and that is an awesome video.

I'll probably be on fairly often still, just not gonna log here other than the comp I'm in. I was thinking about it and on slow nights at work (like this one) there's not much else to do. I just can't believe the way this forum has gone. The S&P was great, and the Conditioning forum was really good too, but in combining them it seems like they ruined both simultaneously.

7. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Were are you moving your log to, Ronin?

8. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

The dark side.

9. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

IMO, you have to find the balance.

What will make you stronger? Light and strict, or heavier and using some body/leg drive? I think the answer is clearly option two. It doesn't even have to mean your form is "sloppy" or bad, you're just using some extra drive.

As long as you aren't using so much weight that what you are doing no longer resembles a BOR, I think you will benefit more from higher weight, using more body English.

10. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

first let me say I'm not nearly that big or strong. I think I'm doing 120 lb dumbbells with this exercise. It varies a lot depending on the days goals from 100-120.

But when I do it, the stack of plates on the inside I bring it up touch my chest, my wrist is not strong enough to rotate it, but it is to hold it, and I keep pulling in effect rotating upon my chest allowing another 4 inches or so of movement than in this video. My wrists are not strong enough to do it in the air but my hands are strong enough to hold on and my chest forces the rotation.

It seems to me this is a much better exercise for ROM than this video. Course I doubt his wrist could allow for what I do with that much weight.

I too do this because with deadlifts/squats/RDLs and sumo deadlift high pulls, I'm not able to add bent over rows to the workout, just can't do it.

11. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Jesus Christ. At first I was like I hope he can hit 5 reps with that. 15 reps later...

12. flak

flak Guest

Sorry to see you go, Ronin.

13. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

I'm interested to see the shape the S&P/C and D&S forums will go in the next year or so. With most of the "old school" 2005-2007 era posters gone, and MMA becoming even more mainstream, I wonder if these boards will become like an extension of the Heavyweight forums with mainly fight fans who don't really train in MMA or really lift much sharing their "opinions". Or if the boards will continue to be one of the truest places for discussion on training and nutrition on the net.

Overall though, I think the mainline of discussion now is actually quite useful to more people than before, as it takes a really basic approach to lifting and programming.

I used the 2005-7 time period because that is when many of the FAQs were created, and St. Wilhelms was started around that time. St. W embodied much of what made the S&P a great place for information and discussion. Kurt's 400lb deadlift x30 was awesome.