PVZ is going to destroy Waterson.

Thing is, I believe Penne originally moved up from Atomweight as well so she may not be as naturally large as Paige. I don't like some of what i've been hearing from Michelle, not sure how seriously she is taking Paige. In my opinion Michelle only takes this with a submission. She hasn't shown KO striking power. She will not win a decision because Paige is not stupid enough to stand and strike with her round after round. If it goes to the cards it will have been mostly a grappling match, and Paige will have been dominant.

Michelle scores her subs with speed rather than with a high level of technicality. That is how she is able to armbar Penne who is a blackbelt in jujitsu and a brown belt in Judo. She applies the submission in a flash before her opponent can even respond. She literally brings the mentality of a striker to her grappling, she telegraphs nothing.
Anyway, many things favor PVZ here : size/strength, Michelle's layoff, Michelle's injuries. Michelle has even admitted that she hasn't been able to spar in training since her surgery because she is concerned about her hand. PVZ has to be the favorite, but sentimentally i'd like Michelle to win.
Penne's is bigger than Waterson is my point. Maybe not as big as PVZ, fair enough, but with her body type presents unique challenges. On top of that and more to my point Penne is clearly more of a contender at 115 based on skill and experience.

Agree that Watersons inactivity was cause for concern and why I was skeptical of she'd be able to stop PVZs momentum.

Disagree with your idea that speed of executing a submission is something separate from technique they are so closely correlated as to be virtually the same, i.e. You're not locking in subs in a flash if your technique is garbage, any fast setups with poor technique will likely result in a reversal as we saw happen to PVZ. Not to nitpick but I don't think that distinction is valid.

What was really interesting was PVZ trying her usual sloppy head and arm throw, giving up her back then soon getting thrown by the same technique done properly and giving up her back in the following scramble. Beautiful jiujitsu and a clear display of the difference in skill.

Back