Putting Lemons in your water. Pros & Cons

Canecorsos

Red Belt
Reaction score
I been reading alot about squeezing lemons into your water everyday. What are the proven benefits? And is there any negatives? I had a guy tell me he squeezes lemons in his coconut water everyday.

Pros: Your water tastes like lemon

Cons: If you touch your eyes afterwards it'll sting

Don't have a link, but citrus juice is supposed to help blunt the insulin response even in small doses. I bite a couple of slices before meals is they are available. Don't believe there are any cons.

interesting. it taste good if nothing else. helps me drink water over a diet soda through the day.

Can I use a lime instead of a lemon? I have low tolerance for acidic stuff.

One of the best ways to help an overly acidic body become alkaline...

Can I use a lime instead of a lemon? I have low tolerance for acidic stuff.

Lemon juice and lime juice are rich sources of citric acid, containing 1.44 and 1.38 g/oz, respectively.

No real difference, they both have high concentrations of acid.

One of the best ways to help an overly acidic body become alkaline...

over acidic comes from eating meat even chicken. so wouldn't lemons help get rid of the acidity in your muscle so you could hold a choke longer for instance??

I never said Lime was not acidic, but it has a sweeter taste than lemons. I love squeezing 2 limes on water and finish it off with some ice for an amazing drink that is actually not soda.

I'm sorry, but how exactly does eating something make your body more acidic or more alkaline?

The food you consume will over time have an effect on your bodies ph.

A simple example is heartburn. This is a symptom of the body being too acidic.

An acidic body will eventually break down and become sick.

Unfortunately most sport or body building nutrition advice revolves around macronutirent ratio arguments.

How much fat, carbs and protein should I eat?

Well thats a great start but if you want to get your engine truly running at its peak then you need to understand the acidic nature of the foods you eat and also the thermic properties.

for a list of acidic and alkaline foods try here:

Food PH Chart - Most Alkaline and Acidic Foods

Some foods are extremely cooling to the body like bean sprouts and water melon and some foods are very warming to the body like garlic, ginger and lamb.

Excessive consumption in one direction or another will lead to symptoms along the lines of that food. example: Raw fruits and vegetables possess cool energy. According to traditional Chinese medicine, overconsumption can result in symptoms such as chilliness, mucus, congestion, fatigue and depletion, feeling cold, abdominal pain, poor appetite and bloating after meals. This is why most chinese food has garlic and ginger in it.. To make the vegetables more warming.

Too many foods with a hot thermic property will lead to constipation, sluggish digestion, high blood pressure, hot red face etc etc

These are all principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine of which my wife is a practitioner.

If you would like to know more then check out the iphone app Qifood for a start or look up warming and cooling foods in google.

The bible on the subject of food and its healing nature on the body would be:

Healing with whole foods by Paul Pitchford

Sometimes I just drink lemon juice straight, it's good.

Oh yeah.

the first thing into your mouth each day should be a glass of warm water with lemon juice in it. Alkalizes the body and flushes out the liver.

The food you consume will over time have an effect on your bodies ph.

A simple example is heartburn. This is a symptom of the body being too acidic.

An acidic body will eventually break down and become sick.

Unfortunately most sport or body building nutrition advice revolves around macronutirent ratio arguments.

How much fat, carbs and protein should I eat?

Well thats a great start but if you want to get your engine truly running at its peak then you need to understand the acidic nature of the foods you eat and also the thermic properties.

for a list of acidic and alkaline foods try here:

Food PH Chart - Most Alkaline and Acidic Foods

Some foods are extremely cooling to the body like bean sprouts and water melon and some foods are very warming to the body like garlic, ginger and lamb.

Excessive consumption in one direction or another will lead to symptoms along the lines of that food. example: Raw fruits and vegetables possess cool energy. According to traditional Chinese medicine, overconsumption can result in symptoms such as chilliness, mucus, congestion, fatigue and depletion, feeling cold, abdominal pain, poor appetite and bloating after meals. This is why most chinese food has garlic and ginger in it.. To make the vegetables more warming.

Too many foods with a hot thermic property will lead to constipation, sluggish digestion, high blood pressure, hot red face etc etc

These are all principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine of which my wife is a practitioner.

If you would like to know more then check out the iphone app Qifood for a start or look up warming and cooling foods in google.

The bible on the subject of food and its healing nature on the body would be:

Healing with whole foods by Paul Pitchford

Do you have any actual scientific evidence for any of this? Something peer-reviewed? This all screams psuedoscience.

Do you have any actual scientific evidence for any of this? Something peer-reviewed? This all screams psuedoscience.

Its Chinese medicine. Its been practiced for thousands of years. Unfortunately, there have not been too many studies on it (and especially not on the nutrition, food healing aspects). Although I believe there have been a few studies to prove the efficacy of acupuncture.

As Anaconda already stated its Chinese medicine.

These principles and knowledge go back 5000 years.

Open your mind and do a bit of research. Believe it or not there is a little bit more to maintaining the body in perfect balance than eating high protein and low carbs.

Does your body do anything less than perfect? How's your energy levels? How do you feel when you first wake? Hows your digestion? What is the color of the coat on your tongue? Whats your skin like? What are your moods like?

All of these things can be tweaked with the food you put into your body. Not with drugs and supplements but your food.

As I said my wife practices TCM and treats people using food advice, accupuncture and herbs every day with great results. Scientific evidence? Dunno man. Don't need any when I have seen it with my own eyes.

The shame is that most of you guys are super fit. You are very interested in nutrition and you are looking for an edge through working out, supplements and nutrition. But most stop short of truly investigating the power of the food we eat.

You know all the arguments that pop up on here and body building boards:

Calorie make up doesn't matter... All that matters is calories in v Calories burnt!

Well is maintaining a weight is all thats important to you then that is true.

What about "You need to eat 1g min protein per lb of body weight each day, plus you must have at least 30g protein post workout and a ratio of 4:1 carbs in your PWO shake and no fat." Well this may be true if all you want to do is build and retain lean body mass.

But what about your body's health?

As I said look up the book Healing with whole foods by Paul Pitchford the amount of information and research that has been done in this book in regard to each foods effect on the body will make your head spin.

Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food - Hippocrates

Back