Putting down the Barbell.. to pick up Kettlebells?

Also, it sounds like you don't have the necessary drive, attitude or intrinsic motivation to be good at anything.

Great stuff here. If this doesn't put a fire under TS, I don't know what will.

Deadlifting 405 in my living room could be catastrophically effective compared to just doing some Kettlebells workouts up to 60lbs or so.

Fixed.

In terms of the type of damage one could do to my living room over the other, I think it's alright to compare.

sounds like you're more concerned with the strength of your living room than the strength of your body, so why not do whatever the fuck...

How is lifting a kettlebell any more exciting or motivational than lifting a barbell/dumbbell?

How is lifting a kettlebell any more exciting or motivational than lifting a barbell/dumbbell?

Its more functional and easier to confuse your muscles with a KB. ipso facto KB > BB

That's sort of what I'm doing right now.

I mostly just started this thread to see if anyone had any positive insight on KB training.

KBs are an excellent toolkit for conditioning and muscular endurance. BBC are probably the best toolkit for maximum strength. They are both really important, so substituting one for the other doesn't really make sense.

If you already not enjoying BB exercises, it might be worth looking at why. Are you progressing every week or month? I don't hear of many people who are making regular progress but find it boring.

KBs are an excellent toolkit for conditioning and muscular endurance. BBC are probably the best toolkit for maximum strength. They are both really important, so substituting one for the other doesn't really make sense.

If you already not enjoying BB exercises, it might be worth looking at why. Are you progressing every week or month? I don't hear of many people who are making regular progress but find it boring.

I'm actually returning from an injury, I tore my anterior ligament and am finally nearing feeling around 90% with it again. Prior to my injury I was still steadily gaining following my 5/3/1 program.

I've been thinking about this topic for the better part of since I returned to the weight room again and I'm just kind of feeling jaded with my current gym and it's reflecting in my motivation to workout there.

I guess I just wanted to make a thread to see if there were any big kettlebell guys on the forum. Not crossfit ouchi ru guru's who demand you do burpees until puking, but actual intelligent adults who program a serious workout with these tools.

I think a lot of people got the wrong impression that I was trying to put down Barbell workouts, when that truly wasn't what was going on. But hey, it's the internet and babies cry.

Thanks for the kind and mature response Jaunty.

sounds like you're more concerned with the strength of your living room than the strength of your body, so why not do whatever the fuck...

I just want to bench you, all day.

Can i wear no clothes when this happens? No homo.

If you're not wearing clothes ....
[YT]fBMuGvgfMbA[/YT]
Skip to 2:27..

If you prove worthy, we can reenact the whole video. You're lighter than 405 right??? We should be able to do it all in my living room.

I did Girevoy sport for awhile, and its just that. A sport. I mean, what makes powerlifting anymore exciting than olympic lifting or body building or competitive rowing?

Doing ten minutes of longcycles does make a man out of you, because it is mentally rough. However, it definitely doesn't make you look built.

I did Girevoy sport for awhile, and its just that. A sport. I mean, what makes powerlifting anymore exciting than olympic lifting or body building or competitive rowing?

Doing ten minutes of longcycles does make a man out of you, because it is mentally rough. However, it definitely doesn't make you look built.

I dont see how any of this answers what I asked or relates in any way.

It was a long day so maybe Im missing something.

I dont see how any of this answers what I asked or relates in any way.

It was a long day so maybe Im missing something.

People tend to do hobbies/sports because they like them. So if you like doing girevoy sport, you end up spending time lifting kettlebells rather than barbells. Doesn't mean they are more effective or even definitively more "fun", just that its the hobby you chose.

The second part was just an observation on my experiences with GS.

I suppose Im just not understanding how lifting a kettlebell is more motivational or entertaining than a dumbbell. Assuming youre doing the same things with them anyway.

If they are, awesome, lift the shit out of them. Got to find what works for you and keeps you going.

I suppose Im just not understanding how lifting a kettlebell is more motivational or entertaining than a dumbbell. Assuming youre doing the same things with them anyway.

If they are, awesome, lift the shit out of them. Got to find what works for you and keeps you going.
I'd way rather do a Kettlebell row with 15kg than a DB Row with 15kg. The KB reminds me of the cup of tea I can have later as a reward. So it's a totally different experience.

Got to find what works for you and keeps you going.

This.

If your goal isn't terribly focused on max strength, and you want to do something because you find it fun, then why not? Whatever keeps people exercising is good. Kettlebells beat running out of motivation and/or drive and just sitting on the couch.

I'm actually returning from an injury, I tore my anterior ligament and am finally nearing feeling around 90% with it again. Prior to my injury I was still steadily gaining following my 5/3/1 program.

I've been thinking about this topic for the better part of since I returned to the weight room again and I'm just kind of feeling jaded with my current gym and it's reflecting in my motivation to workout there.

I guess I just wanted to make a thread to see if there were any big kettlebell guys on the forum. Not crossfit ouchi ru guru's who demand you do burpees until puking, but actual intelligent adults who program a serious workout with these tools.

I think a lot of people got the wrong impression that I was trying to put down Barbell workouts, when that truly wasn't what was going on. But hey, it's the internet and babies cry.

Thanks for the kind and mature response Jaunty.

I think there are a few people around who use KBs a lot, none seem to have popped up yet.

But anyway, it seems that you know what you need to do. Fix the issues that are taking away your motivation with the barbell exercises so that you can continue to do them. Then also do KB work.

And- you're welcome!

Find a good gym. Being surrounded by people that motivate you is helpful.

This.

If your goal isn't terribly focused on max strength, and you want to do something because you find it fun, then why not? Whatever keeps people exercising is good. Kettlebells beat running out of motivation and/or drive and just sitting on the couch.

This. This. This. There are alternatives to lifting weights, just pick something that you want to do often. I think KBs and bodyweight stuff can actually take you decently far if you're intelligent about it.

If you love lifting weights though, you can get a barbell + weights for a pretty reasonable cost. For about $800 I got a really good bar and bumper plates, added rings, a bench, and squat stands - and I'm set for life at about $1100 total (the cost of two years gym membership).

Or you can just listen to Cratos and admit to yourself that you don't have the drive and focus to succeed at anything in life, and just give up. Because not enjoying your surroundings = instant failure at life. FACT.

Back