Pushup results?

SmashiusClay said:
Talking of one-handed press-ups a while back I saw someone reccomending doing them from your knees as a progression from normal pressups, don't know why but this never occured to me before I saw that, works really nicely. Just thought I'd bring that up, see what everyone else thinks of it as an idea.

That's a good idea for progression. I took a different route. I started doing 1 arm pushups from a bench about waist high and when I mastered that I dropped to a chair, then a box, step, and so forth until I could do them from the ground.

I used to do pushups with a 50 pound weight plate on my back, they were pretty tough.

Sohei said:
I used to do pushups with a 50 pound weight plate on my back, they were pretty tough.
Wowwee, that's neato.

6,000 pushups a day sounds a bit fictitious. Anyone else think so? Or am I alone on this one.

rickdog said:
Wowwee, that's neato.

6,000 pushups a day sounds a bit fictitious. Anyone else think so? Or am I alone on this one.

Lets run some numbers, shall we?

8 hours of sleep + 2 hours for eating and such leaves only 14 hours a day left for pushups & rest cycles in Charlie's cell.

2 seconds per pushup = 30 pushups max per minute. At this rate, without resting, you can do 1800 pushups per hour. Buit nobody I know of can do 1800 pushups per hour continuous.

Say he can do 1 minute of continuous pushups for every 5 minutes of rest, which will allow him to crank out 10 cycles of this per hour. This equals 300 pushups per hour. A little more reasonable.

14 hours of effort x 300 pushups per hour = 4200 pushups per day.

Probable? No. I doubt that the arms and chest and core can be conditioned to do that for 14 hours. 6000? Probably not, unless you are certifiably demented, and then it might border on the realm of possibility.....but then again, he is, in fact, a nutcase, isn't he?

Grady said:

8 hours of sleep + 2 hours for eating and such leaves only 14 hours a day left for pushups & rest cycles in Charlie's cell.

2 seconds per pushup = 30 pushups max per minute. At this rate, without resting, you can do 1800 pushups per hour. Buit nobody I know of can do 1800 pushups per hour continuous.

Say he can do 1 minute of continuous pushups for every 5 minutes of rest, which will allow him to crank out 10 cycles of this per hour. This equals 300 pushups per hour. A little more reasonable.

Probable? No. I doubt that the arms and chest and core can be conditioned to do that for 14 hours. 6000? Probably not, unless you are certifiably demented, and then it might border on the realm of possibility.....but then again, he is, in fact, a nutcase, isn't he?
Hahaha, that was quit the breakdown. Nicely done. I can't believe you took the time to do that. After seeing it though, I am convinced that he does not do any 6000 pushups a day. I;m sure he must claim to do other exercises. Doing the 6000 pushups would not even leave him enough time to use the toilet.

You can piss and shit while doing push ups, you lazy bastard! :D

Grady said:

what kind of pushups do you do that last for 2 seconds a piece?

jacksiwel84 said:
what kind of pushups do you do that last for 2 seconds a piece?

Yeah when I looked at those numbers I thought that was pretty weird, personally I reckon I prob do one a second. Even so yeah 6000 does seem a bit high

Call me crazy but don't prison "dieticians" also limit the amount of protein and nutrition in the prisoners' meals so they don't have a bunch of arnold schwarzennegers roaming around?

Lee456 said:
Yeah when I looked at those numbers I thought that was pretty weird, personally I reckon I prob do one a second. Even so yeah 6000 does seem a bit high
I was trying to average the time to do a pushup.

If he is going too fast, he will be doing them more anerobically, like a sprint and won't be able maintain long periods of pushups. So I thought it would be better for him to maximize oxygen in his energy equation and go for a more steady output, like a marathon.

when I do pushups, I also does take me 1 second for the down&up for most of them, but I pause for about half a second to maybe a full second at the top of each rep. So I'm counting that, just basing on my own way of doing things. And my last couple of pushups in a set usually takes 2 seconds because of exhaustion.

As experiment, why don't you time yourself. Wear a watch or have someone time you with stopwatch, and do pushups for as long as you can until failure. Reps/(Stoptime-Startime) will get you the average. Might be interesting to get some real numbers in here, instead of foolish people like me calculating off the top of my head, eh?

:)

I used to have my girlfriend sit on my back when I did pushups.

Grady said:
I was trying to average the time to do a pushup.

If he is going too fast, he will be doing them more anerobically, like a sprint and won't be able maintain long periods of pushups. So I thought it would be better for him to maximize oxygen in his energy equation and go for a more steady output, like a marathon.

when I do pushups, I also does take me 1 second for the down&up for most of them, but I pause for about half a second to maybe a full second at the top of each rep. So I'm counting that, just basing on my own way of doing things. And my last couple of pushups in a set usually takes 2 seconds because of exhaustion.

As experiment, why don't you time yourself. Wear a watch or have someone time you with stopwatch, and do pushups for as long as you can until failure. Reps/(Stoptime-Startime) will get you the average. Might be interesting to get some real numbers in here, instead of foolish people like me calculating off the top of my head, eh?

:)

I think your maths worked well enough to show that 6000 is pretty unlikely, but I might give a go timing myself - starting to concentrate on pushups more anyway

ghostwipe said:
I used to have my girlfriend sit on my back when I did pushups.

I used to have a girlfriend.

Actually that was a lie

Lee456 said:

When guys are doing mass quantities of pushups, I believe its closer to 1/2 second per pushup. Im no master but I do 38 correct pushups plus 2-3 incorrect ones in 30 seconds. Im sure the "pros" do it much faster.

Ra1d3d said:
Call me crazy but don't prison "dieticians" also limit the amount of protein and nutrition in the prisoners' meals so they don't have a bunch of arnold schwarzennegers roaming around?

Please do not bring up other ways prisoners get extra protein.

gungfudisciple said:
Please do not bring up other ways prisoners get extra protein.

I wonder if there is a Guy in every prison who has access to whey protein. He would be the man.

If not I am totally going to go commit a crime and try this idea out.

Back