1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Push ups...........

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Ultimate47, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimate47

Ultimate47 Orange Belt

Just a three quick questions.............

Is there a BIG difference between, doing Push ups slow and Fast? How does it effect your body?
    Does it just do the same as bench pressing heavy weights, to build more muscle, and smaller weights and more reps to tone?

Thanks.

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

You don't know much about training do you? Let me clear this up:

Moving slowly is stupid. It's HIT and time under tension garbage that is originally intended for bodybuilders (this is not a bodybuilding forum BTW) and never really worked in the first place. Do not move purposely slow: move under control. 5 seconds or more to lower yourself and another 5 seconds or more to raise yourself up is dumb. 1-2 seconds, however is ok but that's about as slow as I would go. doing them faster is fine too, and in fact I do mine as fast as I can because I use them for conditioning not strength development.

Plyo pushups (which I'm guessing is what I first thought you meant by fast) are a good way to develop explosiveness. Speed and explosiveness are commonly considered to be (primarily) a function of the central nervous system (CNS). Training for them develops the ability to recruit more muscle fibers quickly.

No they don't do the same thing as bench press. Pushups are a different movement from bench press and are therefore different. you CNS will interpret them differently, the way resistance is placed on your triceps, chest, shoulders and back is different, and the movements are different.

Pressing heavy weights will notmake you big, and smaller weights will not make you "toned." Eating more will make you big, eating less will make you more defined.

If you want a REAL routine to develop strength, I suggest going to strength and power (that's the forum right above this one on www.sherdog.net ) and reading the stickies.

3. muerteverde

muerteverde Black Belt

I still don't understand how pushups are so diferent from benching,b tu they are. I would recom,end going fast if you are doing pushups. Explosiveness is a positive trait in sports and fast ones will help that mroe than slow ones. Also, try weighted pushups. Before I got sick last week, I was starting to experiemnt with these. By next week I sould be back into them again. Basically my plan is doing nice fast explosive sets of at lest 40, but with weight on my back. I only have a 10 pound plate now, but when sets of 40 good form, fast pushups with the 10 pounds are easy, I will get another 10 pounds. GIve it a try sometime.

4. CHawkins

CHawkins Blue Belt

Look at the body position. Pushups are like an upside-down 30-degree decline press.

5. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

Push ups are mor for muscle endurance also instead of strength. It is an ok way of building the endurance of the chest muscles.

6. brandybottle

brandybottle White Belt

Yes, slow pushups and fast pushups are very very different!

Force=Mass x Acceleration

Hence when you do a fast pushup, acceleration is greater and force therefore is also greater. When you do a slow pushup, less force is required but you have to provide the force for a longer period of time per pushup.

Therefore fast pushups require bursts of great force/energy whereas slow pushups require constant force applied over longer time.

In terms of looks, the fast pushups will probably give you a 'bulkier' look whereas the slow pushup will give you a 'lean' look. Why? Because the fast pushups build your explosiveness and all and generally your muscles get the message that great amounts of forces are required over short periods, therefore building more 'bulk'. On the other hand, slow pushups will get you muscles which don't look so bulky because the muscles are applying a smaller amount of force over a greater amount of time.

In other words, it makes sense that if you choose to do fast pushups, you will build up some bulk because your muscles are required to generate more 'push'. If you do slow pushups, you might not get as bulky as fast, but don't misunderstand me, you still do get buff!

10 fast pushups vs 10 slow pushups:
    slow pushups definitely get you more muscles

1 minute of fast pushups vs 1 minute of slow pushups:
    fast pushups get you more muscles

That's why you so marathon runners always so lean and their muscles are so 'thin', whereas buff people have big and bulky chests.

haha but don't take my word to be absolutely true because there are still many researches going on about this. Besides, the fast pushups target fast-twitch fibres and slow pushups target slow-twitch fibres, which is an absolutely complicated thing to explain :) To conclude, fast pushups give you more bulk to produce the great amounts of energy and slow pushups train the slow-twitch fibres for endurance it still gets you buff and all, just slightly less bulky than the fast pushup!

7. ansin

ansin Orange Belt

8/10, you might get some responses for this...
    :icon_lol:

8. Champion#1

Champion#1 Yellow Belt

What an excellent way to revive a 6 year old thread...

9. Eric Brown

Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

[​IMG]

10. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

p4p best necro-bump ever. Congratulations, here is your trophy.

[​IMG]

11. Tankimus

Tankimus Brown Belt

[​IMG]

12. CRZA

CRZA Purple Belt

lol, bumping a 6 year old thread with a bullshit response.

13. babutters

babutters Orange Belt

pushups will give you the pump you are looking for. so i would recommend doing them at the end of your routine. trying including an FST-7 version....that should help. other than that i consider them pointless to do.

14. bigben89

bigben89 White Belt

almost exactly right. eating big and lifting heavy WILL make you bigger and stronger, while eating big alone will just make you fat. heavy weights train the cns as well.

15. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

I'd be incline to think this might not be a troll.

16. belph

belph Pissing into the wind.

Do I at least get second place ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.