Push-ups - damage / durability of boxing gloves

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by danboxing, Aug 1, 2016.

1. danboxing

danboxing Boxing / Boxeo / Pugilato / Boxe / ...

I send this question for 5 well-known boxing gloves's suppliers: Can I use gloves to make push-ups? I saw many boxing clubs combining push-ups along with heavy bag work.

"Any exercise which doesn't involve hitting will cause a glove to wear down faster." Supplier 01

"We do not recommend doing push ups with our heavy bag gloves on." Supplier 02

Three others say: Yes and offer some items.

I feel my gloves damage faster, but my weight is 225 lb.

2. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

Then don't do it and looks like a pussy in the club.

Or enjoy the training and get ready to replace your gloves every after a while.

For real though, you can consider getting some good budget-mid range gloves if that is really an issue, it's for hitting bags anyway, not necessary to get the 300 bucks premium pairs out. Probably get some gloves with rock solid padding, those should last longer for push ups.

3. hangulmalmotayo

hangulmalmotayo Green Belt

Or: Get a pair of Grants and do like B-Hop does.

Attached Files:

4. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

Only if you are sponsored by Grant or rich. ;)

5. danboxing

kkkkk I remember this fight bernard hopkins.

6. danboxing

You are right. I do everything, boxing is boxing.

But my gloves are really good to use just for 3-4 months.

I will follow your tip. One pair of gloves with just one solid layer padding.

7. makedansure

makedansure Green Belt

eh. I don't like to do push ups in my gloves. I'd rather take them off rather than compress the padding even further. But I guess it depends on the gloves. Then again, I don't do the cardio box thing. Sounds like something you'd find at those Title boxing gyms which is fine, but isn't really boxing. Maybe I'm fat to the point that I can get a workout just punching the damn bag. Or maybe I'm just a pussy.

I do think it's funny that you asked the suppliers, that's pretty great that they responded.

Torrid likes this.
  8. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

I don't think anyone like to do push up with gloves on. But I i've been quite a few gyms, it's pretty common in muay thai gym to make people do push up that way between rounds of pad and bags. Not really a cardio boxing thing. I think boxing gym knows better in that regard.

9. Snackattack

Snackattack White Belt

That honestly sounds like kind of a dumb 'macho' exercise that's done not because it's super functional but because coaches think it builds toughness. You know what's harder than doing heavy bag then dropping to do 20 pushups? just doing straight up 1-2's for like 30 seconds more on the heavybag, just as fast as you can hold 1-2-1-2-1-2 etc... Or there's a ton of other exercises you can do with gloves on that will work on the core, you can roll and hook a bunch on each side as fast as you can go etc. Or if you think pushups are key, just take the gloves off? Unless people are insistent on non hook and loop gloves then it's like... 5 seconds...

I've trained in a muay thai gym and never seen that done, there's an emphasis on stay active between rounds but... The fact that you have to post stuff like this like "I don't want to fuck up my gloves but the gym has me doing X that's going to fuck up my gloves which gloves will this not fuck up." To me... tells me that the gym owner either doesn't give a fuck or may be doing something he thinks is a good idea without considering the practicality of that.

Why not ask your trainer straight up "Hey... So I want to do these push-ups but I really feel like this is going to fuck my gloves up, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it does seem like this is kind of a perfect way to really damage gloves, I'd be happy to continue doing this with just 5 seconds to take my gloves off."

Sometimes coaches don't see the kind of... impractical nature to some drills and people don't have the guts to actually just ask about it.

10. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

I'm not OP, I also don't agree to doing push up with gloves on.
    However it's not like they'd ask you to do it all the time for straight up for 2 hours or something.
    So if you are new to the club or not close to your coaches, it's not easy or good to question something as minor as that.
    Call it "don't have the guts" or whatever, you don't want to be the guy that is new to the sport or new to the club to be vocal and complains about every little things.
    Especially with all the elite fighters from your club doing it and none are saying anything because probably most of them are not as heavy of the weight as yourself, hence that don't affect their gloves much and no body ever asked you to train with an expensive 300 dollars gloves that you treat like a baby.

Of course everyone has a different approach, it really depends on your personality or how much you care about your gloves etc. Yes, you can say if there is problem just go straight up to the coaches, but this is just very minor issue and what if there are many more other minor issues? You don't want to be that person that go to your coaches every single week and complain about every little minor thing and be annoying, because unless you have the coach personally training you, training in a class is probably not going to be completely perfect for you.

I am not saying this is what happening to me, because I am very close to my coaches and can say anything. But I can totally see how this is coming from OP or any others. It's not like they are asking you to do something really stupid like getting punches on the face for "conditioning on your chin" or doing push up on the edge of a blade etc. So if you are not the guy that know enough of the sport or the gym, you barely just know your coaches, you kinda want to just stick your nose down and grind through minor issues like these maybe until you know the them enough or know enough of the sport.

-------------------------------------------------
    Further more, although my current club don't do it, but it doesn't sound like a complete stupid type of training. I have been gym where they do this with a whistle and you have to sprawl/fast push up working in between your pads work as take down defend reaction and I can see that doing more punches isn't the same thing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  11. danboxing

I know that s a joke kkkk.
    But even Grant answer : " We do not recommend that you do push-ups with any of our gloves"

12. danboxing

Pushups combined with heavy bag work are common at boxing clubs located here (Brazil) and some other poor countries. I don't know in US, some clubs in Cuba uses that exercise.

13. hangulmalmotayo

hangulmalmotayo Green Belt

I think, as a rule, most glove companies will advise not using their gloves for anything other than its intended purpose. And this for obvious reasons.

Are there any boxing gloves made specifically for push-up use? Unless you're thinking of these, probably not. If you're spending a great deal of time in the gym doing push-ups, you should probably take the gloves off. If you're just doing push-ups in your gloves once in a while, I doubt it would do terrible damage. Will it shorten the life of the glove? Yes. So does punching a heavy bag.

14. danboxing

Where I train it s almost impossible say / disagree of something during the class. I always do, even when I disagree.

It s common in all areas, but some boxing coach tends to repeat things they learn but that are meaningless, but they don't know if works or not. My club is changing because the head coach is studying Physical Education (undergraduate) and has contact with more qualified professionals.
    The Olympics may influence some coaches and boxers decide to live in Rio.

15. danboxing

Some brands do not put restrictions. Like Title (specific models) , Fairtex, etc.

16. makedansure

makedansure Green Belt

You mean, "I don't think anyone like to do push up" period.

No, I've seen it at boxing gyms. I mean, the three that I've spent most of the time at, instructors would always make the kids do push ups. I would either slip mine off or just do squats.

The gym I go to now has pro's, amateurs, and the guys who come in to get a good workout (and a bunch of old dudes coming in to shoot the shit). The third category is the group that I usually see doing the push ups in the gloves. They're the ones that don't really care too much about their equipment/aren't there to really learn how to box, but just get a good workout. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I'm of the school of thought that sparring gloves should be used for sparring exclusively, and bag gloves should be used for the bag exclusively. That being said, I definitely don't see a problem with doing push-ups with bag gloves since you're right in that they'll wear down from bag use anyways. Heck, they might even help break them in more. Problem is, I know it's ideal but I didn't have two pairs of gloves (at the same time) for the first two years for a number of reasons and I sparred in the same gloves I hit the bag in, which I know may be the case for a lot of participants. It was fine for a while but eventually the padding completely separated and my knuckles were pretty exposed so I had a new pair.

Also, hangul, on your eBay page it says you're in South Bend, IN. BBouts by any chance?

17. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

Push up is fine to be fair, core of the arm exercise I do since I don't believe in lifting weight at all. Particularly explosive push up is far better than most exercise you can do for improving explosiveness.

Okay then may be I am wrong about boxing gym, since all the one I have been to are all muay thai or mma gym, not a dedicated boxing one. It appears boxing gyms don't care about gloves as much as others then (Which is kinda surprising and disappointing at the same time). Those gyms I have been to also have European champs, national champs, fighters training and fighting in thailand each year etc, they all just do the drill with push-up regardless. However I don't think they care about their gloves too much.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016