push,pull,legs program question

Gigaldor

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I did a push/pull/legs program like this:
A: bench press 5x5,assistance:military press,dips or DB bench press,skullcrushers
B:legs day
C:Deadlift 5x5,assistance:chinups,bentoverrows,barbell curls.
The problem is after i had done bench press ,my military sucked a lot.My weight was not incresing and i struggled with 30 kg doing 8 reps.Then i switched like this:
A:bench,dips,curls,skullcrushers
B:legs
C:deadlift,chinups,benoverrows,military press.
After this switch i could,i started with 5 reps with 40 kg and in 4 weeks i did with 50 for 5 reps.
Has anyone else had this problem with military after bench press?

to make strength gains its a bad idea to do the press after bench. i do it in my current program but im working for endurance at the moment so i get away with it.

Yes you will find that whichever lift you start with (in your case bench) will progress better than whatever you do afterward. If you want to bring up your press do it first and make bench the assistance lift or switch to a program that gives press it's own day.

FWIW, when doing a split like that you you should have push in the middle (pull/push/squat or squat/push/pull) so there are more days between the lower body days.

why don't you do the press after DL and BORow? my day is DL, BOR, SOHP, Upright row, bb curls and works fine for me at the moment (taking it easy after mononucleosis and burning fat off for summer ;-))
other days are 1. bench + rear delts and some bench assistance, day 2. squat + cable row, face pulls, or other upper back stuff. some delts and abs and front squat here and there during the week too

Yes you will find that whichever lift you start with (in your case bench) will progress better than whatever you do afterward. If you want to bring up your press do it first and make bench the assistance lift or switch to a program that gives press it's own day.

FWIW, when doing a split like that you you should have push in the middle (pull/push/squat or squat/push/pull) so there are more days between the lower body days.
But my ideea is ok ?At least im doing progress.

But my ideea is ok ?At least im doing progress.

Moving the press to a different day than bench press is a good idea if you want to work on improving both. I do something similar, though I give the [shoulder] press it's own day in my workout week, separated by 3-4 days from my benchpress day. Since I don't do much else on that day, I don't think it interferes much with my recovery.

hi,i have only 1 week of holiday left and im gonna lift soon cause im going back to college.With my possible new schedule,i can lift only 3 days consecutive.Lifting on consecutive days gives me some problems.Has anyone deadlifted the day after squat?I know its not good to deadlifter the day after squat but i dont have many options.Maybe some snatch grip deads or some not so heavy deads?
thx

Why not do press day after squat day? Then do deads later in the week.

Why not do press day after squat day? Then do deads later in the week.

Thats an option too ,but doing this i must press after the bench press in the push day.I must choose what to improve:my deadlift or my push press.One will suffer. :icon_twis
thx:icon_chee

To improve at some percent my push press done in the bench day what would be better workout?
A:Benchpress,push press,db bench,skullcrushers
B:Benchpress,skullcrushers,push press,db press

To improve at some percent my push press done in the bench day what would be better workout?
A:Benchpress,push press,db bench,skullcrushers
B:Benchpress,skullcrushers,push press,db press

I would get rid of everything that is not bench press or press from both of those days, and simply alternate which one you do first. On week 1, start with bench, on week 2, start with press.

Workout B doesn't make sense if you want to work on your press (why would you pre-fatigue the triceps?).

Thats an option too ,but doing this i must press after the bench press in the push day.I must choose what to improve:my deadlift or my push press.One will suffer. :icon_twis
thx:icon_chee

If it's a choice between deadlifts and push press... well. It all depends on your goals, I guess.

But it's deadz.

I'm on a push pull program but different because I include explosive and knee/hip dominant exercises as well. A good sample program would be something like this

Day 1

Explosive-Power Clean
Knee Dominant-Bulgarian Split Squat
Vertical Push-Push Press
Horizontal Push-Incline Bench Press
Rotational(Core)-Reverse Cable Wood chop
Stabilization(Core)- Renegade Rows

Day 2

Explosive- Dumbbell Snatches
Hip Dominant-Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
Vertical Pull-Pullups
Horizontal Pull-Bent Over Alternating Dumbbell Rows
Rotational-Corkscrew
Stabilization-Two Point Plank

I would get rid of everything that is not bench press or press from both of those days, and simply alternate which one you do first. On week 1, start with bench, on week 2, start with press.

Workout B doesn't make sense if you want to work on your press (why would you pre-fatigue the triceps?).

Workout B is something i read in some of the Urban stickie.He gives some example of pushing day and its exactly the same.So i tought what the hell. :D

Workout B is something i read in some of the Urban stickie.He gives some example of pushing day and its exactly the same.So i tought what the hell. :D

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with Workout B in and of itself (though I don't understand the logic of putting something between bench and press), but it has to be taken in the context of your goals. If you want to get better at press, then you need to press, and you need to press when you are fresh.

i guess i must give a try and then see which one works better.fucking hate experimenting:mad:

Back