Push Press vs. Jerk

Wonderful distinction, fatty.

good god Jason Kristal is fucking massive...

good god Jason Kristal is fucking massive...

He also won America's Strongest Man last week, beating out a serious crop of pro heavyweights. He's a former olympic lifter who has come a very long way in strongman in a relatively short time.

In the context of his question, which is pertaining to strongman, specifically, you're allowed to get the weight overhead in whatever manner best suits you, as long as you don't rest it on top of your head and do it as a two part lift. Strict press, push press, power jerk, split jerk are all OK for events like barbell, axle and log. On something like a viking press, the double dip is usually not allowed.

With regard to semantics, I think push jerk is actually a misnomer for power jerk. Technically, a true jerk of any sort would be sans press-out, but for our purposes, we reallly don't care. If there's a double dip, we usually call it a jerk, regardless of whether there's any pressing required.

leftfoot.jpg

*Is disappointed that his video is not shown.*

K, so i tried these today for the first time. Love them. Surprised by how intuitive the technique was, I thought it would be difficult to get a feel for it. Thanks for the suggestion, guys.

Don't do any sort of OHP. They're bad for you. And they won't make you a better fighter.

Do bench instead. Because some guy somewhere once said it was awesome.

With regard to semantics, I think push jerk is actually a misnomer for power jerk. Technically, a true jerk of any sort would be sans press-out, but for our purposes, we reallly don't care. If there's a double dip, we usually call it a jerk, regardless of whether there's any pressing required.

That should be obvious - a jerk with a push is not a legal jerk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back