Push-press vs. Behind the neck presses?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Tbonez90t, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Tbonez90t

Tbonez90t Yellow Belt

Lately I have become a big fan of behind the neck presses instead instead of push press. I feel I am able to get more leg drive, allowing me to get used to having heavier weights over head because the SOHP is one of my weaker lifts.

I was just wondering if there are any benefits or negatives to doing these instead of just regular old push press.

2. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

Behind the neck has a greater risk to damage the shoulder joint.

If you can generate enough leg drive you should be able to reduce any shortfalls by getting the weight past the point where the shoulder is comprimised. If you ever try and strict press it in that position you will understand what i am talking about

Personally i avoid behind the neck presses, more risk than reward IMO

3. Endo

Endo o hai!

^^^ +1... I used to do strict behind the head presses. I fucked my shit up when I got to heavier weights. Now, it's only strict or PP.

4. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I'm not a fan of behind the neck presses. A lot of people can put up more weight this way due to the leg drive, but isn't the point to assist in your SOHP? If so, I would guess the push press would provide a lot more assistance as it resembles the SOHP more. A behind the neck push press feels completely different than a push press or SOHP.

5. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

TS what do you mean by SOHP?

Strict OverHead Press
    or
    Standing OverHead Press

6. kicker

kicker Orange Belt

I injured my shoulder once with press behind the neck. I do it from time to time now, because after that I feel some diferent healty pain than from regular. Not muscular pain though.

7. ASUThermo

ASUThermo Wide Right: ╚╦╝ ○

Rack jerk is a good assistance exercise for jerk. I can rack jerk about 5% more than I can push jerk, but it's just an assistance lift afer all so it really doesn't mean much unless you are simply going for max weight locked out. The only problem I have seen with it is guys scraping or bruising their neck when reracking, it is best to use blocks.

8. Tbonez90t

Tbonez90t Yellow Belt

Strict over head press