Push Press or Mlitary?

Personally, I've always seen it this way. Strict form is important when it comes to stabilization and safety. However, it's not uncommon to see variances in form on specific lifts. The massive arch in the bench press is a good example.

A standard bench press is a very efficient lift and works your chest, shoulders, and triceps exceptionally well. While it briefly utilizes other muscles, these are the important ones. It's a great lift that has given people amazing results over the years and is a staple in any lifting routine. However, it's also common to see the arched version of the lift that incorporates more of the body and allows for greater weight, thus greater overload. When the back is arched, there's few muscles not used in the lift. You body works better when it's together.

I see this as the same as the push press. While the SOHP has brought out amazing results of the year and is an important part of any routine, the Push Press takes all that the SOHP is and improves on it. I will always take the more full-body lift when it comes to preparing for sports. The more often my body's muscles are working in synergy with one another, the better prepared they are to do so when real life application calls for the strength.

So overall, I train my Push Press as my primary shoulder lift and use my SOHP as secondary to further strengthen my shoulders. Just remember, Push Press works better as a strength repetition lift, so keep the reps low.

Two totally different exercises, two different power points, two different outcomes. Both have their benefits.

I got a question about the push press.

I always thought that it should be done with 25 to 35 percent of your 1rm and very explosively. I thought that the quality of the rep/set was based on the speed of the bar, not the weight. I My bench/squat/dl is 275/365/415. Thats max. With the push press Im only doing like 105 - 115. I tried 135 but the reps werent as fast. Also, I could get up 205 but it didnt really feel that explosive.

Ok heres the question: Should I go for speed or weight?

edit: Or are those just two different ways of doing the push press?

Two different ways. Push press can have DE or ME days as well.

I got a question about the push press.

I always thought that it should be done with 25 to 35 percent of your 1rm and very explosively. I thought that the quality of the rep/set was based on the speed of the bar, not the weight. I My bench/squat/dl is 275/365/415. Thats max. With the push press Im only doing like 105 - 115. I tried 135 but the reps werent as fast. Also, I could get up 205 but it didnt really feel that explosive.

Ok heres the question: Should I go for speed or weight?

edit: Or are those just two different ways of doing the push press?

For us weaklings, 25%-35% of our 1rm would only be like the bar :\

Single arm military press with a dumbell or kettlebell. Absolute beast on the core and you move the shoulde through full rom too.

are sinlge arm better or best for rotation?

I think they are better for core and ROM but that's just my opinion. i like to do unilateral stuff where possible, let each side of the body fight its own battle.

What's the difference between the two exercises? I've been doing what I thought were military presses for a while.

What's the difference between the two exercises? I've been doing what I thought were military presses for a while.

It's a secret reserved for people who know how to use the search function.

:) true that...anyway i've changed from barbells to dumbells for 3 months now and i feel my core burning when im doing single armed militarys and also ive noticed quite a difference in my chest area it seems wider now with flat bench dumbell presses...maybe im a dumbell guy after all :p

Yeah. Dumbbells make your chest wider and barbells make your chest narrower. Kettlebells will make your chest taller.

lol i meant ive gained mass in the chest area and i look wider,im thin so i can see the difference easy :)

It's a secret reserved for people who know how to use the search function.

How do I use the search function? Is that a secret reserved for the people who know what the difference is between a Push Press and Military Press?

This thread has turned into yet another case of the blind leading the blind.

Put the fucking bar over your head. Use your kettlebells as boat anchors.

Back