Push press feet position

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Johnsonville, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Green Belt

I recently added in the push press to my routine and use a staggered stance to prevent myself from losing balance but keep seeing tutorials where people's feet are square. Now that I think about it my press is staggered too. What do you guys reccomdend as i worry about falling over especially on the push press if I square my stance up due to the explosiveness of the lift

~DaViD~
    #NerdBash2018

2. JimRussel

JimRussel Purple Belt

You won’t fall over if you brace properly. Here’s how I do it:

- grip bar
    - big breath into stomach (and push out against belt if I’m wearing it
    - step under bar and unrack
    - step back (you probably don’t have to think too much about how wide or narrow your stance should be. If you just step back, you’ll likely naturally go to a stable stance)
    - flex quads/glutes as hard as you can
    - press bar

If I’m doing a single, I don’t breathe between unracking the bar and pressing it, as I find I can never get the same amount of air back into me once the bar is across my shoulders. I can’t get as tight and brace as hard as I need to.

NurseKnuckles and Sano like this.
  3. James Baller

James Baller Black Belt Double Yellow Card

4. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I never really had the balance issue on it. I have my feet about shoulder width or maybe a bit narrower. I feel like most people that have the balance issue is due to their bar path or the weight getting out in front of them.

NurseKnuckles likes this.