purple belt thread

Qtip inspector

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
last night I was promoted to purple belt by Denny Prokopos at 10th Planet SF!
I've been training with him for around 5 years, trained about 7 months before that. I am his 3rd purple. I had to take about 6 months off for staff infection and a broken wrist.
I've been able to hang with purple/brown nogi or gi( yes I roll gi sometimes) for a while so I knew it was coming but it still feels great. I must say it is a great accomplishment in my life. I knew there was no way I was going to be that guy that was a blue and gave up.

That's an awesome story, dude. Overcoming injury and all. Congrats. It's well deserved. I hope to get there myself one day. Looooooong way to go though.

Congrats on the promotion and way to fight through some adversity!

so purple belt or shirt? I'd assume you mean the actual belt, but what shirt are you purple as well then?

so purple belt or shirt? I'd assume you mean the actual belt, but what shirt are you purple as well then?

all the same to me. in a gi I would sport the purple.

and with the broken wrist ,I still cant post open handed, I have to make a fist. but I have been pretty much major injury free compared to some others

cool - congrats!

hope to get mine by july of next year if i can maintain some sort of regualr training schedule.

all the same to me. in a gi I would sport the purple.

and with the broken wrist ,I still cant post open handed, I have to make a fist. but I have been pretty much major injury free compared to some others

This is something I am pretty curious about. When we roll in the GI we use the GI for control and as a weapon. If your not getting that constant training in the GI, how do you think you would fair with another purple rolling in the GI?

I don't want to be a dick or anything and That wasn't my intentions with the question. Just curious because, when I went from no-gi to GI things were just way different

This is something I am pretty curious about. When we roll in the GI we use the GI for control and as a weapon. If your not getting that constant training in the GI, how do you think you would fair with another purple rolling in the GI?

I don't want to be a dick or anything and That wasn't my intentions with the question. Just curious because, when I went from no-gi to GI things were just way different

the few times I have put a GI on I could hang with the purples belts and smash blue belts in a GI

jiu jitsu is the same to me either way. I can sub purples in a gi. its actually easier in a gi oddly enough. the only hard part of gi for me is escaping side mount. i've only put on a gi about 40 times. I have been suprised by being choked while in a triangle though...I ended up asleep!!

Back