Punish 16oz gloves

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Finally, finally...
Ive had these gloves a VERY long time, a lot of you have been asking me to review this, especially flamingredhead. So here it is. It is LOOOOOOOOONG overdue.
I bring you punish fight gloves in 16oz. For those not familiar with the brand it is a glove hand made in Thailand, and it resembles boon both in shape and in leather. In fact, I think the two may be made at the same factory, but that's just speculation, here are the facts.

http://punish.com.au/fight-gear/boxing-gloves/gloves-official-pro?product_id=158

The Look:

Like I said before, the look resembles boon, even to the touch the palm side looks identical to boon, but that is pretty much where it stops is the look only. The blue is very rich, and very bright. This is not a dull blue, it is a nice solid Royal blue. The logo is very classy and old school imo. There are no fancy letters or snakes, or anything trendy here.

Everything is double stitched, the cuff is a double segmented flat cuff with a very standard patch, the patch is very plain and reminds me of something out of Mexico.

The outer leather is very soft, very supple, the inner palm is very shiny and the leather is very smooth but its not nearly as supple as the outside. The inner hand area has an authentic "Hand made in Thailand, genuine leather" stamp.

The Feel:

The glove is very broken in, this reminds me of a bigger version of the Cleto Reyes safetec. The hand compartment is very, very comfortable. The fist is easy to open and SUPER easy to close. It simply reminds me of a 16oz pro fight glove if there was ever such a thing. The fist feels very natural, at times its almost as easy as opening a bare hand with wraps on.

The finger area is reinforced so it REALLY lets you crank down and provide probably the tightest possible fist in a 16oz glove. Again it feels like a pro fight 16oz glove if there was ever such a thing.

The glove stays cool, but the liner feels cheap, and it feels like it will rip easy, it hasn't done it so far. But, it just feels weak, and it shifts around a lot, so im waiting for a tear to happen any day now.

Now resembling a pro fight glove also has a major draw back, even though this is lace up, you have almost net to no wrist support just like a pro right glove. I would suggest getting some RSK hook and loops as elastic laces WILL NOT provide support on this glove fellas and ladies. Your only other option is to tape up your wrist.

The wrist closure is wide, so guys with big forearms like Gus will welcome these gloves and for guys with smaller forearms will not be a fan of these.

The thumb compartment is wide and your thumb will move around so it allows you to put it in a comfortable position the thumb is good, but it isn't perfect, I think winnings thumb is better than Punish's. I would rate the thumb a B.

The Padding:

Lets just say Marcos Maidana would want to use these gloves. The padding bottoms out, all... the.... way... See pics.

But yeah if there was ever a punchers glove in a 16oz, this is it. It does a remarkable job protecting your hands but not so much your sparring partner. These gloves are only going to be good for one of those gyms that allow you to go 100% and don't stop until someone drops.

I landed a body shot on my sparring partner when I 1st got these last year and he went down, so yeah becareful.

On the bag, if you have strong hands you will LOVE these gloves, they provide amazing feed back and good protection. They pop loud and you can ALWAYS feel a solid hit all the time everytime. These gloves are great addition to the arsenal because there is no extra padding like in IMF where you might land fingers 1st and not know it. These gloves will allow you to correct your technique and land solidly or you will pay the price in more ways than once. These gloves are NOT recommended for those that have hand and wrist issues for obvious reasons already outlined.

Weight:

True to weight, 16oz gloves weigh in at 15 3/4 oz.

Cost:

I have no idea why these gloves are so expensive, I did a trade for these but full retail price is $159.99

I personally don't think they are worth anywhere near that, I would say like 70-80 tops.

Overall:
I think this is a fun glove, it allows you to correct a lot of mistakes that you would normally do in an overprotective glove. For those that own Winnings and Reyes, there is nothing new here.

Its a well made glove but no where near the top, I would put this right along side any thai glove though, this is a true Mexican inspired version of a thai glove.

Score: 85% / B

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
look like ill stick to winning and twins considering the price,

thanks strat ive thought about these gloves previously

yeah not a problem, punish isnt for everyone and their price is pretty steep imo

Bottoming out from different angles with little pressure applied:

wd9t.jpg

x0z1.jpg

its a shame the padding and aesthetics seems great but if the wrist is as flimsy as the safetecs

I used to have a Velcro pair of these. They were ok but not for me, I like more wrist support personally.

Great review as always though.

I've owned like 3 different styles of punish. Really good gloves.

Very cool review of a brand that I know little about. Always love to read different reviews. So these are basically only in Australia? Any chance there is a U.S. retailer somewhere?

As far as I know only Aus. Krish any insight why they are so expensive?

Holy balls do they bottom out! :eek:

Nice review on some rarely seen gear in North America! Thanks!

As far as I know only Aus. Krish any insight why they are so expensive?

Typical Australian mark up on prices. Everything here sells for double or triple the wholesale cost as a minimum.

As an example, Reyes dealers here charge $300 per pair, thats the standard price anywhere in Australia.

Great review, I agree with everything you said. This brand is becoming very trendy in Muay Thai gyms, so dont expect that price to ever find these gloves for less than $150.

Thanks a bunch Strat for another excellent review. Always appreciate getting up to speed on the hard-to-find and out-of-the-ordinary gear out there.

First thing I noticed was the palm side. Just like Boons as well as the stitching.
Talk about bottoming out. Double wraps for these even with the tri-cuff.

The blue matches your Jordan slippers. :icon_chee

Typical Australian mark up on prices. Everything here sells for double or triple the wholesale cost as a minimum.

As an example, Reyes dealers here charge $300 per pair, thats the standard price anywhere in Australia.

Great review, I agree with everything you said. This brand is becoming very trendy in Muay Thai gyms, so dont expect that price to ever find these gloves for less than $150.

Wow, you were not joking!

Title Platinum Timer $470usd vs $200usd

http://punish.com.au/fight-gear/miscellaneous?product_id=76
vs
http://store.titleboxing.com/platinum-pro-timer.html

Glad you guys liked the review, again ill work on the youtube stuff these upcoming weeks, im still trying to catch up on written reviews

Fantastic review as always brother! Now I know I probably won't drop $160 on these!

yeah man NP, yeah I would if they were around 70 but 160 is crazy.

Back