Punching with weights

Sidearm21

White Belt
Reaction score
I see some of the guys where I lift using weights (about 5 lbs each arm) and throwing punches, kind of shadow boxing. Is this a good way to gain power, or would this totally mess up your technique?

Power would be pretty low on the list...

Would be more for muscular endurance in the arms/shoulders

except it helps pull your tendons when you abruptly stop, you can't really do a follow through that way can you?

NOt to mention it trains your body to control the output so you don't dislocate your elbow.... I think it would train you to throw weaker punches.

Punching with weights doesn't develop power. Think about it -- gravity is always pulling the dumbbells straight down, and that's not conducive to punching power.

I took boxing/kickboxing lessons for awhile (hoping to get back to it), and the coach had us do punching exercises with 1 lb. or 2 lbs. dumbbells, never heavier.

My undertanding was that the purpose of this was to improve the endurance strength in our shoulders (particularly the front deltoid muscles) so that we'd keep our hands up during training and sparring with gloves.

At our gym, everybody had to wear 16 oz. gloves to spar. Well, 16 oz. = 1 lb., so in effect, whenever you stepped into the ring you were punching with 1 lb. weights attached to your hands. The dumbbells just replicated this. For people who wanted a little more challenge, the 2 lbs. dumbbells were available.

I can't see any sane reason for punching with dumbbells that weigh more than 3 lbs.

I have some weighted bag gloves and I use them on the heavy bag a few times a week, dont go so fast and focus on your form and technique. It may or may not help your 1 punch power, but when your in the 3rd round and your punch is crisp and snaps like it did in the 1st round you'll be happy.

I'm really loving resistance bands lately, I stole them from my wife and I do some shadow boxing with them for 15-20 min. before I shower every night. They kill my shoulders, just make sure you work at fully extending the punch, muscle memory ya know. Again your once punch power probally wont improve by much, but your 200 punch power will stay higher, and to me that is more important.

Back