Punching to the head in the street....why you shouldn't do it

And how you align (of course if it is not some big secret) your knuckles when connecting with horizontal punches- with bending of the fist or lifting the arm? In the first scenario some say that it is dangerous for the wrist and in the second- you are telegraphing your punch. If you don't make some adjustments, you land with the fingers and after this with the knuckles.

No need to necro may as well start a new thread.

Nah, never had a problem with it myself. The way I see it there's just as much danger of doing any one technique over the other. Looking to come away from a street fight completely unscathed being an exercise in futility. The more you look to come away un-injured, to me, is what increases the chances of coming away injured because it could bring about hesitation and mis-timing. In the streets primal instincts rule, strike first, strike hard, end the fight as fast as possible. If you come away with only a jammed finger your pretty lucky.

I've seen tons of things go wrong, guys attempting to throw guys who just brute-force overpower them and end up getting the throw reversed and knocked unconscious. A 10-year Martial Artist loosing to someone who was just plain stronger and in the right surroundings. I've seen guys get sucker-punched (even though in the streets I believe in no such thing, all is fair), and though he's a good fighter with a strong chin and plenty of skills, the punch lands just right and he's out cold. I've also seen grapplers get stuck in bad positions and end up getting stomped or thrashed when going for a textbook choke or submission on a person it should have been relatively easy to do.

Limiting yourself in the streets should be only limiting yourself to what has worked best for you the most times, and leaving some room for adaptability. Everything is variable usually.
....I like the guy who casually reminisces about the potential felony assault cases he's participated in or been witness to....

Some guys talk about the football plays last weekend, some talk about the sparring sessions, Sinister chats about the happenstance of unconscious bodies in the street, LOL!

Settle down fair maidens, fists work just fine for smacking people around.

....I like the guy who casually reminisces about the potential felony assault cases he's participated in or been witness to....

Some guys talk about the football plays last weekend, some talk about the sparring sessions, Sinister chats about the happenstance of unconscious bodies in the street, LOL!

Settle down fair maidens, fists work just fine for smacking people around.

LOL you quoted a post made years ago

<Dany07> <Dany07> <Dany07>

LOL you quoted a post made years ago

<Dany07> <Dany07> <Dany07>
What U saying Sinister's put out to pasture now?

I wasn't commenting on a timeline, I was commenting on content.

Still funny as shit how he cycles through a bunch of fights even if it's an old thread....Tho I would bet he'd still pop all of us down to the pavement....So respect your elders, SON!

LOL!

I think the utilization and training of open handed strikes for self defense is one thing that TMAs tend to have over some other styles like boxing (and i'm assuming MT)
which is why I do think TMAs still have plenty of viability for self defense, if trained properly.

cue the boxer saying "but i can just as easily open my hands to strike without having to specifically train for it!"

regarding open handed strikes, i like this video John Hackleman about the 'arc strike'. i know people will forever debate about punching with fist or not, but this looks like a nice tool to have if you needed to hit someone and didn't even have space to throw an elbow

What U saying Sinister's put out to pasture now?

I wasn't commenting on a timeline, I was commenting on content.

Still funny as shit how he cycles through a bunch of fights even if it's an old thread....Tho I would bet he'd still pop all of us down to the pavement....So respect your elders, SON!

LOL!

He'd probably kick your ass lmao

In my opinion this has more to do with the way you hit your opponent's head than you should not hit. There are video clips that show street fighting with blows to the head. And the guy does not go out with a broken hand.
An example and the old boxing fighters he hit the head of his adversary without glove and did not break the hand. The Vale Tudo fighters who punched the opponent's face without a glove and did not shake hands.

Just my 2 cent:
Broken hand < broken face

Beware of teeth
Beware of skull
Beware of vertical fist (small knuckles top) + hard eyesocket (bone above eye)

:)

Broke my shit in MMA fights and in street fights. Mostly depends on where you land. From the nose down usually has enough give to smash your fist into. Above the nose, not so much give.

I also prefer to Clinch and Knee. But it is risky, their is always the potential threat that the other guy pulls a knife.
but yeah, but you can't go wrong with a hook or a right straight.

Back