Punching the body over punching the head

jboles773

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a fighter who's striking strategy involves punching to the body moreso than to the head? It seems we are by nature headhunters, and even fighters who work the body well still use more punches to the head.

Basically, you see fighters who only strike to the head, and fighters who strike to the body but mainly to the head, but you rarely see fighters who strike mainly to the body but less so the head (special rules matches notwithstanding). So does anyone know of a fighter who does this?

Also, what do you think of this strategy?

Anyone who fights Cody mckenzie seems to favor body shots

There was a Dutch kick boxing guy who hit hard with spinning thrust kicks to the body.

(not 'reem)

I think it's much, because you have to at least disguise some shots to the head to get shots to the body. If you aren't aiming for the head, he has no reason to cover his head, so the body is covered. You have to aim high to hit low and aim low to hit high. It's the art of deceiving your opponent.

Micky Ward has some good body shots.

I think it's much, because you have to at least disguise some shots to the head to get shots to the body. If you aren't aiming for the head, he has no reason to cover his head, so the body is covered. You have to aim high to hit low and aim low to hit high. It's the art of deceiving your opponent.

Micky Ward has some good body shots.

Very good point; punching to the head has the added benefit of blinding the opponent.

Well sometimes you hit the head and the body opens up and viceversa

Roberto Duran , Chavez sr had devastating body attacks.
Mike McCallum was nicknamed 'The Bodysnatcher'.

Chuvalo is the first that comes to mind

Cung Le works the body a lot. JDS worked Cain's body in the title fight.

My coach preaches body shots to us. He says that there are fighters who have granite chins, and hitting them in the head isn't super effective. He tells us that you can't really train your body to take a good body shot, and many of your organs are vulnerable to strikes that aren't at 100% power. You don't have to put everything you have into a liver shot. It's hard to breathe after taking one to the chest, etc.

i dont know about prefers, but Lucian Bute and Canelo Alverez both pack a hell of a body shot and use them well.

Back