Punching solar plexus in clinch?

serr

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I was clinching and someone pretty much gave a fast uppercut to my solar plexus? Wtf!? Is clinching a lie? Instructor never addressed this. You can move the guy all you want if he has decent footwork he'll follow through and get you in the solar plexus hard. Sure you can elbow him, but really it's like you're trading blows.

If you're letting them have enough space to punch you properly, you're doing it wrong. Keep close, make space when you want to attack.

And yes, you might wind up trading blows, but that's the nature of a fight. And at that range, knees and elbows trump boxing more often than not.

I believe the expression used to describe a Thai clinch is "cock to cock". Get all up on them like you're making sweet love.

Uppercuts can be thrown very tight (very little space needed) and come from a sneaky angle which is difficult to see (even moreso when in very close). If the guy has better overall striking savvy, balance, and positioning than you at close range, he's gonna be a pain to deal with there. Clinch isn't all of the in-fighting equation, it is just a factor that helps

Retaliate by punching him low.

Or a quick knee to the balls.

Marcos+maidana+knee.gif

I believe the expression used to describe a Thai clinch is "cock to cock". Get all up on them like you're making sweet love.
I agree, but you're opening up whenever you strike and it's easy for him to scoot his hips back enough to make the tiny space needed for an uppercut. I feel like the amount of strength and energy needed to keep someone close to where they can't uppercut would burn you out unless you can end the fight then and there.

If you're letting them have enough space to punch you properly, you're doing it wrong. Keep close, make space when you want to attack.

And yes, you might wind up trading blows, but that's the nature of a fight. And at that range, knees and elbows trump boxing more often than not.
Well, I think it's easy to parry a knee or two. It's after you stay in their clinch for long enough that you get tired. But parry one knee and hard uppercut to the solar plexus will stun you. Probably the most powerful attack in boxing just there for your opponent to take.

In fights, bad stuff happens to you. MT clinching isn't invincible.

In fights, bad stuff happens to you. MT clinching isn't invincible.
Obviously, but I learned the hard way. I'm just wondering why we spend so much time in clinching without any reference at all to this really easy counter? From that position, a knee is easier to see coming and block then an uppercut. Yes it is a tense situation for both guys, you miss timing and you get a knee in you, but the knee is right in your face, you can see it when you are down and it is slower. You barely see the uppercut and it is easy to disguise with scrambling motions. One blocked knee and you're stunned. It just blows my mind how much they pride the clinch in MT, yes it is really effective but fighting for a clinch opens you up to more dangers than if you would just block the knee and uppercut.

In traditional MT, in the clinch an uppercut isn't as practical as an elbow IMO (upward or forward) as it's a shorter attack and makes for a quicker transition to re-engage in the clinch. In Amateur rule MT (EU, UK, US) elbow strikes to the head and reinforced knees (or knees period) to the head are typically not allowed, so a short sharp elbow in the solar plexus or top of the collarbone is a very viable option when working in the clinch. Same said for the UC in ammy rules, you can't pull the head down into your knee (reinforced knee), but you can pull it down into an UC.

Like all other areas of a fight, you need to keep working in the clinch to both defend and attack, it's not a place where you can just hold on and be safe as you've just learned the fun way. You still need to work for position, balance, and control, for example, if you can block his arms to the outside on a clinch then he can't uppercut you, if you're swinging him around by his neck he'll have a hard time putting any weight behind his strikes.

Watch Valentina Shevchenko (blue) in this fight, note how she blocks out one arm to her outside when she clinches, then uses her free arm to hand fight or setup a throw. She's also working to spin her opponent off balance and break their posture as soon as they make contact, it gives them very little chance to throw anything back at her. There's a ton of clinching in the fight so you can see all the different ways to use it.

In traditional MT, in the clinch an uppercut isn't as practical as an elbow IMO (upward or forward) as it's a shorter attack and makes for a quicker transition to re-engage in the clinch. In Amateur rule MT (EU, UK, US) elbow strikes to the head and reinforced knees (or knees period) to the head are typically not allowed, so a short sharp elbow in the solar plexus or top of the collarbone is a very viable option when working in the clinch. Same said for the UC in ammy rules, you can't pull the head down into your knee (reinforced knee), but you can pull it down into an UC.
I'm talking about the guy getting clinched throwing the uppercut, not the guy doing the clinching.

when you learn how to do it properly youll see how to counter this. Its something that''l come with time and feel/familiarity. Until then enjoy your uppercuts to the breadbasket lol

when you learn how to do it properly youll see how to counter this. Its something that''l come with time and feel/familiarity. Until then enjoy your uppercuts to the breadbasket lol
Well it would be nice if you say how to do it properly. When you clinch you're supposed to keep your weight on them. They can crouch or back up still and can uppercut you.

well for one you have to have a solid grip. if you have a double collar secured and they can still move back and even punch you then your grip is wrong and weak. you gotta dig your wrist bones into their neck and actually use some strength. Its easy to be lazy but you'll see when you do it right. You should be able to rag doll them when they go for a punch if youre doing it properly

also until you get the hang of clinching properly just knee them anyway on the same side throwing punches. the guy wont wanna trade an arm punch for a knee trust me

also until you get the hang of clinching properly just knee them anyway on the same side throwing punches. the guy wont wanna trade an arm punch for a knee trust me
I agree, that's the counter, but if you have good footwork you can follow their pulls in the clinch. And like I said a bunch of times, they can block knees and land an uppercut faster than you can throw your second.

you're complaining about being hit by arm punches i don't get it. It's not a viable form of offense. and no you can't "good footwork" your way out of properly being turned. If the guy isn't thrown off balance it's cause you did it wrong

There are different types of clinch holds. You can control their shoulders thus their punches by widening your elbows in front of their shoulders. This is at the expense of covering the centre and locking them in a tight clinch. Different clinch holds for different purposes.

Back