Punch to the thigh to set up knockout

Straight punches to the midsection and, why not to the thigh area while we're at it, are grossly underutilized in MMA. I love seeing shit like that.

They can work as a misdirection for setting up follow up power-shots like Romero just did, and in general just give your opponents a lot more shit to think about. Makes level changes a lot more unpredictable, and thus more effective at keeping your opponent on his toes and not allowing him to settle.

GSP for example alternates his lunging jabs between going to the head and to the body and it truly makes a world of difference in terms of masking his intentions and hiding any potential tells from his body language since everything looks the same until it's already too late to react in a reliable way.
I feel like thats what dc lacks and he should implement these tricks if he ever faces jon again. Punches to the thigh, to the midsection etc.

Romero is so tricky. Was re watching the fight, and just noticed that it all starts with a punch to the thigh. Seems to throw Luke off for a second, just long enough to close in on him and end the night.
As much as I would like to entertain the thought that the thigh punch was the mastermind move here,
I imagine Rockhold could've fallen for that 3 punch combo (two baiting right hand jabs and then a hard left) even without the thigh punch set up.

While it seemed Luke was confused by the thigh punch when it landed, it seemed he had "reset" himself and his stance before the combo.

But then again, what do I know. Maybe the thigh punch was something that made Rockhold drop his regular high guard just a little bit, in aniticipation of other weird techniques, and that little bit was the difference that allowed him to be hit with a hard punch.

Last edited:
Hollyfield used to do this when the ref was out of position to take away the power from his opponents punches.

What about Bangbus doing some kung fu shit and then faking a karate chop to the leg to set up a a head kick ko?

As others have mentioned itt, Benson and Anderson have done that long ago, I think Benson used to try to utilize it more in more fights.

Yoel actually threw a hammerfist to Luke’s leg earlier in the fight too lol. Yoel’s striking was on point that night, his defense was really good too. Luke was able to land and his offensive boxing looked good, but his defense was piss poor with him moving back in a straight line with his head up.

can't wait till some one gets caught trying that reaching thigh punch bullshit

As others have mentioned itt, Benson and Anderson have done that long ago, I think Benson used to try to utilize it more in more fights.

Yoel actually threw a hammerfist to Luke’s leg earlier in the fight too lol. Yoel’s striking was on point that night, his defense was really good too. Luke was able to land and his offensive boxing looked good, but his defense was piss poor with him moving back in a straight line with his head up.

Yep. They even commented on the hammer first like it was comical if I'm not mistaken. Good catch by the TS..

Someone has got to one up him now and start throwing punches to the shin

That next level shit.

Why is it bullshit? lol

its bullshit because there is no threat of any damage or Ko or anything coming from a weak ass jab to your thigh... its bullshit. you should get your teeth knocked into your skull for trying that

ea2qdx.jpg

Goat

So are feints bullshit?

BRO can you not see how you expose your chin head and face by reaching all the way down to your opponents thigh? a feint is different because its low risk, i don't expose myself to multiple counters...

THIS IS DAY ONE SHIT CMON MAN

I honestly think it was just coincidence that the knockout came shortly after the punch to the thigh. You saw Luke look down for a split second like WTF, but then he was reset and ready to go again. The double jab prior to the overhand left was the far more important part of that setup. That's what allowed Romero to both close the distance and hide the left by distracting with the jab.

Back