Punch Drunk Boxers...

Pro**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
...I heard Holyfield not long ago and his speech has deteriorated by too much for such a legend of the sport :icon_cry2

I was also surprised to hear Toney before his UFC fight because he was known for his legendary defence and has never been stopped.

Who else have you been shocked to see punch drunk?

This may sound really really bad and I hate to say it but I'm never surprised by a punch drunk boxer. When your a fighter your job consists of punching and getting punched in training and in the fight itself it just seems as though it's one of those sad realities of prize fighting.

Audley Harrison has been notably worse during the build up to the Haye bout than I remember him being.

Nothing was more sad for me than to see Riddick Bowe talk one way before the Golota 2 fight, and then another way after. He was totally changed, his speech was horrible.

The Gerald McClennan vs Benn fight was something else that really bugged me.

I am torn between being a fight fan, and wanting to see these sports go away all together. I know there is a risk in anything, but when you see these athletes permanently changed for the worse, it is very hard to swallow. I think of Chuck Liddell in mma, that is also sad.

Oddly enough, in watching interviews with boxers from much earlier in the 20th century, many of them seem to speak fine. I wonder if there is any pattern there.

this is quite common. a result of taking so many punches in a career. sad really

Any links? I haven't noticed Harrisons speech change.

This is Harrison about 2 years ago:

And here now:

It's not like he's the worst case I've ever seen but he's definitely slurring more and has lost some of the clarity of his pronunciation.

^^^That sig lol, at least you kept it real:cool:

Yes, I see what your saying now, he's at the early stages. At 1:07 he shows a blatant sign that he is getting punchy.

james toney himself seems to be heading that way im sure....you can't take punches from middle to heavy and not have it affect you..ppl may say its the weight but i dont think so

I was suprised to hear Fernando Vargas already slurring a tad sounding like my
old boxing coach. Hes not that old at all.

I was suprised to hear Fernando Vargas already slurring a tad sounding like my
old boxing coach. Hes not that old at all.

vargas faced prime/near prime versions of de la hoya, trinidad, wright, mosley, quartey, and mayorga within 31 career fights..and took some beatings in those fights particularly from trinidad and mosley...vargas was thrown in way too early with the top dogs and was ruined

meldrick tayor is a good case of punch drunk. he was never the same after the chavez fight.

meldrick tayor is a good case of punch drunk. he was never the same after the chavez fight.

Of course he was the same after that fight, his speech was the same, he beat an undefeated Aaron Davis and took his world title at welterweight after the Chavez fight if I remember correctly.

He was a slickster who ended up trying to trade with a swarmer, he outboxed Chavez and could have won if he had fought to his advantages. He's a typical boxer from Philadelphia that just wanted to war and it's the all the punches he took in those gym wars in Philly that accumulated and made him start to show signs of boxers dementia.

Don't forget the fact that it takes over 10 years for these effects to take place.

I remember Diego corrales rip. Started to sound pretty bad, around his fights jose Luis Castillo.

vargas faced prime/near prime versions of de la hoya, trinidad, wright, mosley, quartey, and mayorga within 31 career fights..and took some beatings in those fights particularly from trinidad and mosley...vargas was thrown in way too early with the top dogs and was ruined

Varagas still had a great career and yes he was involved in the some major wars at a young age. I totally forgot about his fights with winky and sugar shane.

I was also surprised to hear Toney before his UFC fight because he was known for his legendary defence and has never been stopped.

That doesn't necessarily have much to do with how damaged his brain has gotten. In fact, it has let him take more punishment. The man has had more than eighty pro fights.

Varagas still had a great career and yes he was involved in the some major wars at a young age. I totally forgot about his fights with winky and sugar shane.

yeah he had a great career..exciting fights and moneywise he made a grip but he could have done more...he's only 32 but he's fat and punchy..done at a young age like riddick bowe...that saddening to me

Back