Pulp Fiction: What happened to Jules, Butch & Marcellus?

Jermei

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in years. I've seen it many times, as most of you have too, and I have two questions regarding what you think happens to Jules, Butch & Marcellus, as all three characters have ambiguous endings...

1) Did Jules just 'walk the earth', or remain a gangster?

Jules believed that divine intervention stopped the bullets... but when Ringo counted to 3 while threatening to shoot him in the Diner, Jules stopped him at 3 and gave-in to show Ringo what was in the case, which apparently is Marcellus Wallace's soul.

suitcase-pulp-fiction-alternate-ending-the-legend-of-butch-coolidge-jpeg-280177.jpg

If Jules truly believed it was divine intervention the first time, then he should have believed Ringo's bullets would again go through him too. Jules doesn't show pure faith in his belief and I wonder if Jules hesitation to truly believe in divine intervention in the face of Ringo's gun changed his mind a few days later as Jules experiences that day were still very raw.

2) Did Butch get away with it, and live more than a few days or weeks?

Butch killed Vincent Vega in his own apartment with Vincent's gun. Yes he rubbed the fingerprints off the gun but Butch was also a wanted man for killing the other boxer, Floyd, in the ring the night before. Vincent Vega is probably a known gangster to the police and that dead gangster in Butch's apartment would make Butch a prime suspect.

pulp_fiction_vega_death.jpg

Then there's Marcellus Wallace who was saved by Butch but let's be honest, no man would want someone around who witnessed the ass rape of your ass to potentially spread rumors about it. I say that once the dust settles, Wallace would put a "hit" on Butch's head, Butch's associates, girlfriend and have them all killed. Also if Butch gets caught by the cops he might squeal about the Wallace's bribe to get off a little easier and help put Marcellus Wallace behind bars. I say Wallace wouldn't allow that to happen even though Butch saved him, not knowing at the time that Butch killed Vincent Vega who is a good friend and associate of Marcellus Wallace.

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-4-15-03-pm.png

Conclusion: I think Jules took a break to walk the earth but ultimately remained a gangster, Butch got whacked before getting arrested and Marcellus Wallace is still getting fucked by Mia Wallace.

What say you?

Jules, Butch and Wallace formed a comedy troupe and now work Vegas.

Marcellus Wallace remained a G and carried his secret to the grave.

Butch rode off into the sunset with that Polish beauty, changed his name, probably resettled somewhere in Canada or Alaska or some shit. Bought some land, guns and had many kids and a family.

Jules probably remained a G, but more in the business side and not into whacking people anymore.

Good thread Jermei, but I'm not in agreement with most of your conclusions.

I think that you might be right about Jules: He remained a gangster, but a new KIND of gangster. No longer would he thoughtlessly say some cold blooded shit to a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: before he popped a cap in his ass. He would consider situations, think them through, show mercy when appropriate, and just generally go about life with a more philosophical outlook. OR maybe he really did give it all up.

But I definitely think Butch got away and I think that Marsellus was willing to employ a code of honor in this situation so that as long as Butch gets out of town and never comes back, bygones will be bygones.

Marcellus lost about 50 pounds, grew out his hair and became an internet sensation.

Good thread Jermei, but I'm not in agreement with most of your conclusions.

I think that you might be right about Jules: He remained a gangster, but a new KIND of gangster. No longer would he thoughtlessly say some cold blooded shit to a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: before he popped a cap in his ass. He would consider situations, think them through, show mercy when appropriate, and just generally go about life with a more philosophical outlook. OR maybe he really did give it all up.

But I definitely think Butch got away and I think that Marsellus was willing to employ a code of honor in this situation so that as long as Butch gets out of town and never comes back, bygones will be bygones.
Literally same thoughts as me.

I don't think Jules would go on to do a straight laced job as J C Penny or something, but he wouldn't be a cold-blooded killer type of gangster either. He would be dealing more with money and stay away from killing/violence.

Also, Marcellus runs the risk of exacerbating rumors of his ass-raping by choosing to hunt down Butch, like the TS suggests.

Butch was intelligent, he had a plan, a bag full of cash, a bike and a woman ... He could disappear and assume a new ID somewhere else.

Literally same thoughts as me.

I don't think Jules would go on to do a straight laced job as J C Penny or something, but he wouldn't be a cold-blooded killer type of gangster either. He would be dealing more with money and stay away from killing/violence.

Also, Marcellus runs the risk of exacerbating rumors of his ass-raping by choosing to hunt down Butch, like the TS suggests.

Butch was intelligent, he had a plan, a bag full of cash, a bike and a woman ... He could disappear and assume a new ID somewhere else.

For Jules, I think he might still do some killing. But it will be justified killing. He won't just do it because the boss says so, he's going to need to know that this guy he's about to put a bullet into really does need to be removed from the planet.

And yeah, Marsellus was being legit when he told Butch to take off. Call it honor among gangsters or what have you, but he knows that he would be dead without Butch coming back to do work with his samurai sword. He respects that.

I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in years. I've seen it many times, as most of you have too, and I have two questions regarding what you think happens to Jules, Butch & Marcellus, as all three characters have ambiguous endings...

1) Did Jules just 'walk the earth', or remain a gangster?

Jules believed that divine intervention stopped the bullets... but when Ringo counted to 3 while threatening to shoot him in the Diner, Jules stopped him at 3 and gave-in to show Ringo what was in the case, which apparently is Marcellus Wallace's soul.

suitcase-pulp-fiction-alternate-ending-the-legend-of-butch-coolidge-jpeg-280177.jpg

If Jules truly believed it was divine intervention the first time, then he should have believed Ringo's bullets would again go through him too. Jules doesn't show pure faith in his belief and I wonder if Jules hesitation to truly believe in divine intervention in the face of Ringo's gun changed his mind a few days later as Jules experiences that day were still very raw.

2) Did Butch get away with it, and live more than a few days or weeks?

Butch killed Vincent Vega in his own apartment with Vincent's gun. Yes he rubbed the fingerprints off the gun but Butch was also a wanted man for killing the other boxer, Floyd, in the ring the night before. Vincent Vega is probably a known gangster to the police and that dead gangster in Butch's apartment would make Butch a prime suspect.

pulp_fiction_vega_death.jpg

Then there's Marcellus Wallace who was saved by Butch but let's be honest, no man would want someone around who witnessed the ass rape of your ass to potentially spread rumors about it. I say that once the dust settles, Wallace would put a "hit" on Butch's head, Butch's associates, girlfriend and have them all killed. Also if Butch gets caught by the cops he might squeal about the Wallace's bribe to get off a little easier and help put Marcellus Wallace behind bars. I say Wallace wouldn't allow that to happen even though Butch saved him, not knowing at the time that Butch killed Vincent Vega who is a good friend and associate of Marcellus Wallace.

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-4-15-03-pm.png

Conclusion: I think Jules took a break to walk the earth but ultimately remained a gangster, Butch got whacked before getting arrested and Marcellus Wallace is still getting fucked by Mia Wallace.

What say you?

Definitely disagree on your conclusions re: Wallace. Want to know why? His own words

"That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride! It never helps, it only hurts."

Wallace would not let his pride of wanting to keep his rape a secret overcome his gratefulness at Butch saving him.

Wallace killed both Butch and Jewls the next day.

Butch cause no need to let him live knowing he will tell people you got raped. no need for lose end there and chance the serect gets out amd ruins your rep and business.

Killed Jewls cause you cant just walk out the life. fuck that. blood in, blood out.

tumblr_nxt51r9wl81qe0eclo5_r6_500.gif

Jules went off on his vision quest.

Butch and his girl made it out.

Marcellus Wallace is not the type of man to renege on his word. After all Butch did save him from pound-town.

What was in the case?

Marcellus Wallaces' soul. I have no idea how a guy named Brad got it in the first place. Remember the beginning?

thanks for the spoiler alert! was just about to watch this for the first time.

also, i chuckled at this........, no man would want someone around who witnessed the ass rape of your ass

Given the path of tarantino's movies. I'd say jules buys the farm for trying to alter his life. No way would Wallace have that. Especially with Vega buying it. Jules knows to much to just "walk the earth"

Butch even before the pawn shop incident had a fairly clear plan to remove himself. I'd figure afterwards he followed through and was never bothered again

As for Wallace, if jules didn't kill him before he'd kill jules for wanting to leave, it'd just be someone else. The guy seemed to be on borrowed time between the mess over the case, being hit by a car, and turned into an S & M slave.

Fwiw I always figured that the briefcase was holding some kind of mythical / holy relic like perhaps the holy grail. I'd guess if you seen it you'd realize what it was, even without knowing what exactly it looks like and then understand why people might be willing to steal from people in power and risk their lives in doing so

It's not wallace's soul. Tim Roth says, "is that what i think it is?" When he sees what's in the briefcase. There is no way in hell that character would say that about seeing a stranger's soul in a briefcase.

He's obviously familiar with the object, and nobody's familiar with what a soul looks like. Especially some stranger's soul.

It's far more likely that it is the holy grail. Even a small time thug like Ringo would know what that looks like.

Oh, and butch went to South America. Wallace never bothered him because he knows butch could have left him there to die.

Jules quit being a gangster and began to walk the earth, but then he comes across some dudes that really need shootin'. So he becomes the Lord's hitman. He removes the scum so god never has to destroy a city like he did with sodom and gomorrah.

It's not wallace's soul. Tim Roth says, "is that what i think it is?" When he sees what's in the briefcase. There is no way in hell that character would say that about seeing a stranger's soul in a briefcase.

He's obviously familiar with the object, and nobody's familiar with what a soul looks like. Especially some stranger's soul.

Good observation.

Marcellus Wallace remained a G and carried his secret to the grave.

Butch rode off into the sunset with that Polish beauty, changed his name, probably resettled somewhere in Canada or Alaska or some shit. Bought some land, guns and had many kids and a family.

Jules probably remained a G, but more in the business side and not into whacking people anymore.

Butch retired with his girl in Fiji.

Back