Pullup improvement: HELP????

bulldogs85

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am trying to improve my pull-up repetitions. I've only started really doing true pull-ups over the last year. I'm 601, 210 lbs, and can do 10 pullups, palms forward, full extension. My goal is 20. I've tried it all. Rows, extra pushup work, pull-up assist machines, etc. I know dropping body weight is an option, but I'm trying to compete in amateur MMA at 205. I work as a police officer, and want to tryout for SWAT, and pullup reps is a test. So, without dropping body weight, I'm trying to raise my reps.

Any advice on what has worked for any of you?

off-topic but you're at 210, and wanting to compete at 205? that isnt much of a cut, are you planning to bulk up?

anyways for the pullups, other than vest or weighted...after you start to fail on later sets,try using a chair or something as assistance. my problem would be doing sets 5x# or whatever, and failing pretty quickly on the last two sets, so i'd just cheat and use a lift of some sort, it seemed to help my max pullups. or back in wrestling we'd partner up, and after failure they'd assist us

i dont usually push myself with barbell, but pullups/dips i keep going after i cant goes no more

off-topic but you're at 210, and wanting to compete at 205? that isnt much of a cut, are you planning to bulk up?

QUOTE]

Weight cutting is overrated in amateur mma. I compete a few hours after the weigh-in, you don't have the time to recover from a hard weight cutting process;

I am trying to improve my pull-up repetitions. I've only started really doing true pull-ups over the last year. I'm 601, 210 lbs, and can do 10 pullups, palms forward, full extension. My goal is 20. I've tried it all. Rows, extra pushup work, pull-up assist machines, etc. I know dropping body weight is an option, but I'm trying to compete in amateur MMA at 205. I work as a police officer, and want to tryout for SWAT, and pullup reps is a test. So, without dropping body weight, I'm trying to raise my reps.

Any advice on what has worked for any of you?

Try getting 'super bands' and fix them to the machine or chin-up bar your currently using, the bands will assist you with getting more reps out and eventually you will be able to reach beyond your target.

It is a great piece of equipment:

JC SuperBand 2 1/2-inch

You're 601? Holy shit!

Ha ha, 6 foot, 1 inch!! I type that way, the make us do all our police reports with the height of a person listed like that!! Sorry, I wish I were 601 years old, at least I'd have an excuse for not being able to get off the couch today!!

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm gonna look into all of the suggestions!

Apologies if you've already looked into this, but here goes...

Since you need to hit 20 reps for a test, it's a good idea to know the rules --

Does each rep have to start from a dead hang?

How high do you have to go for a rep to be acceptable?

How much body English is allowed (ie. kipping)?

Depending on how lax the rules are, you may be closer to 20 test-acceptable reps than you think.

There are a ton of coppers that post on this forum. I heard that beating confessions out of poor teenage minorities helps to increase one's pullup total.

You can do 10 consecutive pullups right now....

The answer to your question is simple.

One of the fastest, if not the fastest way to achieve 20 consecutive pullups is to BUY A PULLUP BAR then do 8-10 sets of 10 pullups(you're current max) in one day, then rest(you may feel it the next day if you haven't done this kind of volume before) 2 days. On day 4 do 8-10 sets of your one set max After this point do 6-8 sets of pullups every other day. As pullups become easier for you, and they will, push yourself to do more pullups in each set.

Within a very short period of time you will be able to do 20 consecutive pullups.

The only question is, do you have the will to do at least 300-400 pullups a week for the next 4 weeks?

A couple tips I will give you is when you do pullups, don't think, and don't try to pull yourself up instead try to bring your elbows down to your ribs....

P.S. The key to doing this kind of volume is spacing it out while you're home. How many hours a day are you home that you're not sleeping. I'll give you an example. Let's say I sleep from 12-7:30 and at 8:30 I go to work, I get home at 6pm.

1 Set of pullups in the morning. 1 set when you first get home, 1 Set 20 minutes later....

You get the idea? As long as you are home, and awake for at least 3.5 hours each day, you have time to complete 10 max rep sets of pullups with 20 minute breaks between them. So if you have 3.5 hours per day that you're home and awake there is no excuse for not doing as many sets of pullups as you need to do.

Back