pulling guard

frosteSama

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys. i'm just starting mma. i've seen vids on youtube where the guy pulls guard. i've tried dat out once and i think i landed wrong, cause my back kinda hurts when i landed on it. i'm wondering which part of my back shld i land on.
humanback2.jpg

is it the pink region, the green or the blue region, pls help. thanks!

it's not really which part you should land on, but the smoothness you should land. Of course landing with the blue are would not be advisable, as you would absorve all the impact without much space to smothe the impact.

I don't advise you to pull guard on mma though :)

i instead of jumping guard, pull open guard untill you learn how to break falls

If you're doing MMA, why are you working on pulling guard? No-gi guard is very easy to slip (watch the UFC and see how often it works), especially when striking is allowed. Work on takedowns, it'll get you a lot further.

I've learned my lesson. Don't pull closed guard, you are just asking for the painful slam. Pull open guard instead.

I have to agree with others though that pulling guard is not something you want to do if you're training for MMA, as opposed to sport grappling. Sometimes pulling guard is a good idea in MMA, but not very often.

I do think pulling guard is underused in MMA when a top-rate BJJ guy is going up against a top-notch sprawl and brawl guy. If you can't outstrike the guy, and you can't outwrestle him, then you're going to need to pull guard and work from the bottom if you want to win. It's just that simple.

I've learned my lesson. Don't pull closed guard, you are just asking for the painful slam. Pull open guard instead.

I have to agree with others though that pulling guard is not something you want to do if you're training for MMA, as opposed to sport grappling. Sometimes pulling guard is a good idea in MMA, but not very often.

I do think pulling guard is underused in MMA when a top-rate BJJ guy is going up against a top-notch sprawl and brawl guy. If you can't outstrike the guy, and you can't outwrestle him, then you're going to need to pull guard and work from the bottom if you want to win. It's just that simple.

ala nog vs tim

Pulling closed guard, land on your shoulder/back area around the shoulder. Not directly on your shoulder. This should prevent losing your wind or hurting yourself.

There are times it works all right, but you'd better be a fair bit better on the ground than your opponent. If he has a good base and has good ground and pound, you probably don't want to be in the guard ... so if you're just starting out like the thread starter, work on takedowns, so when it hits the ground you're the one on top. Lot easier to do your subs from side mount in MMA than from your guard.

But I agree, if you're getting lit up standing and can't take the guy down, you've nothing to lose by trying to pull guard. Just hope the guy isn't a GnP expert. Though I suppose if he's good at GnP too then you're at the point you're fighting a guy better than you at almost every aspect of the game, so you're in trouble anyway :icon_chee

Back