Pulling guard to beat Ronda?

That didn't work out so well the last time when Alexis Dufresne did that.

I think pulling guard on her just saves her energy from having to throw you.

Really, it's not that crazy of an idea. Standing, it's only a matter of time for any girl until clinch>throw>Ronda on top doing what she does best.

Put her in the guard, perhaps her guard passing skills are low, and maybe she'll even leave her own arm out there or neck.

Problem is she's also beastly strong compared to the other women she's fought (although perhaps it just appears that way due to the confidence in the clinch), and I can imagine her throwing down some nasty elbows.

Just trying to think of possibilities

It's not a bad idea at all. Ronda's guard passing leaves something to be desired, and a lot of girls are better on bottom than on top due to flexibility and size.

giphy.gif

A good boxer who can stick and move. Kind of like a woman version of Frankie Edgar.

Of course the best against Ronda is maintain the fight standing, but if you are in the clinch and get judo throw into side control is better to pull the full guard, is not insane to think maybe Ronda is not that good passing guard and improving position in the ground, something like Chad Mendes against McGregor.

Ronda throws are so good she always is in side control, we have not really saw Ronda passing guard like Gunnar Nelson.

Maintain fight standing, if go to the ground is inevitable better pull guard, much better the full guard than side control.

I can't think pulling guard is a good strategy. The bum rush technique clearly doesn't work.

Rondas striking is much better although most won't admit it. That said, to make it a striking match is the best way to beat her in my opinion. The only goal of the first round to be to out point her with jabs and quick hooks. Try to lull her into striking only mode and win that way. There isn't a girl who can beat her grappling so if you can't outstrike ronda then you dont deserve to be the champion.

The answer to beat Ronda Rousey is to train Judo. (Should be obvious by now)

You have to know how the throws and trips work and the follow ups, what to do once she has your neck wrapped around in side control for example. There are throws, positions and transitions typical from Judo, that aren

Jack Slack made this same point the other day. His take was that once Ronda clinches up with you, you are going to be taken down, and Ronda's takedown's are often right into side control or other advantageous positions. Therefore, he suggested pulling guard once stuck in the clinch with Ronda as a form of damage control.

I am not sure I buy it, but I think it is neither insane nor idiotic.

Ronda is a Judo black belt. Bethe is a BJJ blue belt.
I know... mma not sub grappling anything can blah blah blah.
But still.

Keep it standing Bethe.

Ronda is a Judo black belt. Bethe is a BJJ blue belt.
I know... mma not sub grappling anything can blah blah blah.
But still.

Keep it standing Bethe.

I completely agree. The only situation I was saying pulling guard may make sense is in a position in which Bethe cannot keep it standing for very much longer.

I am not deeply invested in the idea. However, it is an interesting thought.

Jack Slack made this same point the other day. His take was that once Ronda clinches up with you, you are going to be taken down, and Ronda's takedown's are often right into side control or other advantageous positions. Therefore, he suggested pulling guard once stuck in the clinch with Ronda as a form of damage control.

I am not sure I buy it, but I think it is neither insane nor idiotic.

Well, given that what's been tried has failed so miserably, I tend to agree. It's highly unlikely it would lead to anything other than Ronda eventually securing mount and finishing, but how's that any worse than her just hip tossing girls and then finishing?

Honestly there is one person who would actually probably benefit in a fight with Ronda using this strategy, and that's Coenen. Not that she'd beat Ronda, but I think this strategy would allow her to survive much longer given how good her guard is.

I completely agree. The only situation I was saying pulling guard may make sense is in a position in which Bethe cannot keep it standing for very much longer.

I am not deeply invested in the idea. However, it is an interesting thought.

If Bethe has the processing speed to recognize this moment before it is too late, I will be very impressed.

No way in hell she wants to go to the ground with Ronda. She'll stand and bang.

Except Jack is a striker, knows fuck all about grappling, and even less about Ronda punching and pivoting her way into clinches.

Jack is a hack. Bjj/combat scout is far better.

You realize that Scout and I are friends, right? And that we discuss this stuff quite often?

Set her up for an armbar, uhh, no... instead fight like CroCop, keep it standing with spectacular TDD.

Only problem is that weight class has no fight IQ. Ronda is MILES ahead of them. Zingano rushes straight in, Meisha rushes straight in. When your two best chances at dethroning the champ are her holes in striking, why the fuck would you rush in?

I agree that would be the best gameplan to beat her, but no one is smart enough to implement it.

You realize that Scout and I are friends, right? And that we discuss this stuff quite often?

Bieing friends with him doesn't make you inherit his grappling acumen, Jack. I generally like your stuff, but your penchant to take one gif and try to apply it to a fighters whole career is silly.

I follow Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Facebook, that doesn't make me an astrophysicist.

Your Killing the Queen article was terrible in comparison to bjj scout's several breakdowns involving Rousey's skills vs her opponents strategies. Stick to fluffing Conor's left hand for page hits.

Only problem is that weight class has no fight IQ. Ronda is MILES ahead of them. Zingano rushes straight in, Meisha rushes straight in. When your two best chances at dethroning the champ are her holes in striking, why the fuck would you rush in?

I agree that would be the best gameplan to beat her, but no one is smart enough to implement it.

Don't forget Liz Carmouche had her in a deep rnc if I remember correctly but lacked technique and experience to finish it. Almost had her. Plus ive seen Ronda get tagged by I think Meisha who might have pulled guard on her and got armbarred shortly aftee. I remember yelling at somene to keep it standing and she went down with her. If/when Ronda losses it'll be a tko. Shin to the chin and finished with strikes.

Back