Pulling guard to beat Ronda?

Jack Slack made this same point the other day. His take was that once Ronda clinches up with you, you are going to be taken down, and Ronda's takedown's are often right into side control or other advantageous positions. Therefore, he suggested pulling guard once stuck in the clinch with Ronda as a form of damage control.

I am not sure I buy it, but I think it is neither insane nor idiotic.

I agree it has some merit but the thing is there aren't a lot of girls who have enough skill on the ground to actually make the most of that postion. I believe Alexis Davis is probably one of the better grapplers she's fought but I think she also armbarred a black belt before getting into Strikeofrce so she has experience on the ground with good grapplers in MMA.

Pull the arm bar machine on top of you?! Fuck no! Nobody has the guard to deal with Ronda on top.

How do we know? She has great judo sure, but that doesn't translate into great guard passes and she isn't going to get an armbar from inside the guard. Id say it's worth a try.

Really, it's not that crazy of an idea. Standing, it's only a matter of time for any girl until clinch>throw>Ronda on top doing what she does best.

Put her in the guard, perhaps her guard passing skills are low, and maybe she'll even leave her own arm out there or neck.

Problem is she's also beastly strong compared to the other women she's fought (although perhaps it just appears that way due to the confidence in the clinch), and I can imagine her throwing down some nasty elbows.

Just trying to think of possibilities

so you think giving an elite grappler top control is a route to victory? how drunk are you right now? lol

so you think giving an elite grappler top control is a route to victory? how drunk are you right now? lol

Ok so say Ronda starts clinching with you.

You can
A. Let her toss you and end up in side control or just straight up armbarred
or
B. Pull guard and at least be in a position to threaten attacks, stand up all and defend against her attacks.

Pulling guard all of a sudden doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Defense matters in fights. The entire scenario is predicated on being in a position in which you will be thrown by Ronda. Landing in guard is one of the best outcomes of being thrown by Ronda. If her opponent could threaten her with subs and force Ronda to disengage and get the fight back to the feet, then the strategy was effective.

Nonsense.

Again, nonsense. Tell that to Cat Zingano.

Yes, defense matters but you won't win just playing defense. Your view is predicated on being able to sub Rhonda off her back. I don't think that we have seen anyone in that division with slick enough bjj to be a real threat. Sounds like a loser to me.

Your nonsense comment is nonsense.

Stupidity has nothing to do with dignity.

Armbars from within guard are hard to manage. In fact subs from within guard are hard, especially without a gi.

But this strategy is still bad.

Ronda transitions and advances position better than anyone in WMMA. She would probably be on her way to passing the guard while they were still falling. Strategy is shit.

It's funny how people think Judo is just throws/trips.

When competition Newaza is all about quick brutal submissions.
People don't realize how good her Judo is compared to the rest of Women's MMA who haven't even mastered BJJ technique.

Ok so say Ronda starts clinching with you.

You can
A. Let her toss you and end up in side control or just straight up armbarred
or
B. Pull guard and at least be in a position to threaten attacks, stand up all and defend against her attacks.

Pulling guard all of a sudden doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

its a far worse idea, as now she has control of your body to start working her submissions.... on the feet you can run away lol

It's funny how people think Judo is just throws/trips.

When competition Newaza is all about quick brutal submissions.
People don't realize how good her Judo is compared to the rest of Women's MMA who haven't even mastered BJJ technique.

This is the craziest suggestion I've heard to beat her yet.

..just crazy enough to work!

You'd probably end up getting juji rolled anyway but at least she would have to work for it.

Yes, defense matters but you won't win just playing defense. Your view is predicated on being able to sub Rhonda off her back. I don't think that we have seen anyone in that division with slick enough bjj to be a real threat. Sounds like a loser to me.

Your nonsense comment is nonsense.

Stupidity has nothing to do with dignity.

No. It is not predicated on that. Guard is a useful offensive position from which to actively look for subs. It is also a useful defensive position to defend against subs and against GnP.

Also, who said anything about just playing defense? Having a defense to partly neutralize her ability on the ground does not mean the entire fight would be on the ground. If you're fighting Ronda it's a five round fight.

I already said I am not sure I am buying the notion as the best possible strategy, but that it is not insane on its face.

Lol, she is an olympic judo, I am sure she is more than capable of slicing through Bethe's guard and submit her after.

To beat Ronda you would need a stick and move tactic, the boxing skills of Floyd Gayweather and excellent TDD

Easier said than done.

She is elite in her own right. Romero is an elite grappler, so is Palhares. Are we fighting them with the same game plan.

It isn't a crazy idea when you think about it. Sure you can try to stick and move, well what if she DOES grab you. Then what? Chances are, she'll toss you. Then you're fighting on her terms. If you pull guard, at the VERY LEAST you're making her work to pass into side. If you have a good guard you can stall or neutralize for a standup. If you're REALLY GOOD you might even threaten her with subs. Either way, you're not letting her get her way. That's the point.

judo people usually have strong top games, they are tough to sweep and i am pretty sure ronda is skilled enough to keep posture and pass

I agree it's a decent idea but it's hard to pull guard in a fight without making for a lot of awkward ugly exchanges.

Back