Pulling a kneeling opponent backward = dangerous?

You're correct that you should take care of your partners in training. They should also take of themselves as well though. It's a two way process.

So in the scenario described by the OP, he probably should not have pulled his partner if his knees were in an awkward position. Likewise, his partner should also be less worried about complaining and more worried about not putting himself in such a dangerous position in the first place.

It's like when I sweep people over my head. If they stick their head out stupidly, I will not sweep them hard onto their face and hurt their neck. I will ease up and take it to the side instead for safety. However, I also let them know that they need to be careful with that and should tuck into a roll instead when I have that sweep.

Good safety involves protecting your training partners and teaching them how to protect themselves too.

Total agreement.

Mr Triangles, 'positioned correctly'.......when you are free rolling, who is always in a perfect position? I've seen some really strange positions when guys are rolling ( the strangest at my school was a standing 69, the guy stood up and lifted the other guy upside down from his hips)......

to answer your question- people that aren't newbs. that's why I specifically stated that you should roll more carefully with inexperienced newbs in my first post. You see weird things like that and poor positioning from people that are inexperienced and don't know or haven't trained enough the correct things they're supposed to do. in those cases the instructor needs to step in, slow them down, and show them how to train safer.

I am still trying it figure out exactly how you have to position your feet in a way that it would hurt your knees when pulled backwards. I've been pulled backwards countless times myself so I don't see what the big deal is.

Sorry if this is irrelevant - when somebody is in closed guard with their feet pointing out then they are in danger of hurting their knees and/or ankles if their opponent goes for hip bump sweep. How often do you look at your opponents feet while going for that sweep?

All I know is that there are a lot of little tricks that keep you safe from getting hurt, such as proper foot positioning. This is something that must be learned by everybody. Everybody knows things like keeping your posture and both arms in or both arms out, while mainly ignoring the little things like this. Learn the safe way to roll and stop complaining.

Hip bump is to the side, not straight back.

I think the only way that you could get inured getting pulled back is if your ankles were outside of your knees, and even then I don't think that it's very likely, unless you had a preexisting injury.

Let's talk about this again when you have a blown ACL. You should always take care of your training partners, and any explosive movement which has a high likelihood of causing serious injuries should not be used in training.

Only on Sherdog can posts get this stupid and blown out of proportion.
You should not always take care of your training partners, if it so happens that your training partner is being a fucking vagina and whining about shit that doesnt matter.
You are literally just making up a hypothetical situation that would not happen in this scenario, ever, unless in the case of an extremely rare freak accident (which could, and is much more likely to result from a nuber of other positions). No one is tearing their ACL from this, and how many threads do you see or how many instances have yo heard of this causing a serious injury? There isn

You should not always take care of your training partners, if it so happens that your training partner is being a fucking vagina and whining about shit that doesnt matter.
You are literally just making up a hypothetical situation that would not happen in this scenario, ever, unless in the case of an extremely rare freak accident (which could, and is much more likely to result from a nuber of other positions). No one is tearing their ACL from this, and how many threads do you see or how many instances have yo heard of this causing a serious injury? There isn

We need to start incorporating space helmets to make jiu jitsu safer.

helmet.jpg

Too bad there's no such thing as a space helmet FOR YOUR KNEES, BRO!

I personally think it can be very dangerous.

also, when we start from knees, I'm always afraid to be bull-rushed and fuck up my knee backwards.

What technique are you doing that you need to stay on both knees after you start rolling? Turtle guard?

Just come up on one knee in "combat base" right after you slap hands. Then if he "bull-rushes" you, you can just sit to guard.

For most BJJ is a hobby, for some others it is a competitive sport but either way it is just a game. Whether I come home with a blown ACL or just a badly rolled ankle, it doesn't matter if my training partner could have done a technique in a safer manner. There are enough opportunities for injury every time you step onto the mat to not be considerate of your training partner.

In this case it is much safer to pull them back and diagonally over their hip (and generally puts you into a superior position - I want their back with both of us on our sides not with him all the way on top of me).

Should the guy have "yelled" about it. I don't know, maybe he already had a knee injury, or knows someone trying to recover from one, but based on the number of people who don't realize this could cause an injury (knee, ankle, or toes depends on the exact position) someone should be saying something.

...there seems to be quite a bit of whining about how much some people hate it when other people whine (lol).

Peace,
Zen Mojo

...Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

Last edited:
Sorry, I have a filter on my computer that blocks posts when they start rambling nonsensically about the army as if it were somehow related to brazilian jiu jitsu. Therefore, I could not read your stupid post.

Keep it real, Kenny!

PS Randall, I think me and you should start a Goofus and Gallant-esque comic strip where the focus is that you are nice to people and I am mean.

We need to start incorporating space helmets to make jiu jitsu safer.

helmet.jpg
\

It seems to me like a lot of people in this thread probably have to wear helmets for everyday activities like going to school and typing in online forums, so I'm sure they already have them for jiu-jitsu.

large_cartman_retard.jpg

good thought though

\

It seems to me like a lot of people in this thread probably have to wear helmets for everyday activities like going to school and typing in online forums, so I'm sure they already have them for jiu-jitsu. good thought though

i'm no doctor, but i'd say it's a case of vaginosis? chronic pussitis is equally likely...

I got injured being *pushed* back from the knees, but that's because of an awkward attempt to try to get the guard while Mr. Mark Coleman From The Knees tried to take me down. In my school, pulling back a kneeling or in four-base opponent is frowned upon, but legal from the blue belt and above. I've been pulled back a bunch of times before and never came close to hurt myself, but I really can't explain why.

I don't get this. I mean obviously you don't wanna hurt your partners but at the same time it's not like cranking a sub...

If I take someones back and cross my ankles and my partner rolls and it pops my ankle, should I get mad at him?

do NOT pull or push someone that he is on his knees.

there is no risk of injury if your partner is positioned correctly. You're argument here is completely senseless.

That's like saying "there is no risk of injuring someone with a heel hook if he defends it properly". Obviously I'm talking about the case where your partner is NOT positioned properly.

Back