publicist for a day

Nice video. Thanks for posting it.

Bumping this thread on account of my boy Cristobal Cruz. Little bastard did it again, beating Orlando Salido. Crus is a little fuckin' robot, this time 1,178 punches in 12 rounds. Fight was on versus and I'm surprised no one saw it or said anything, check it out on the replay.

Lacandon is now the IBF Titlist.

Okay.....Here's mine:

Juan LaPorte, The Featherweight version of Jake LaMotta

When the young Puerto Rican challenger stepped into the ring with champion Salvador Sanchez, few gave him a fighting chance. Fewer still had even heard of the challenger who barely had sixteen fights under his belt. Sanchez, who had destroyed Danny "Little Red" Lopez to win the championship was such a favorite that the word "mismatch" was on everyone's lips.

For fifteen rounds the young challenger stayed with the champion every step of the way and even won a handful of the middle rounds. When it was all said and done, LaPorte had gained the respect of all and was being touted as the next Featherweight sensation.
LaPorte eventually went on to capture a version of the Featherweight crown defending it twice before losing it to another little sensation- Wilfredo Gomez.

Incredibly tough and determined LaPorte fought every viable contender in his division and beyond. If Juan suffered from anything it was a lack of charisma in front of the microphone. Quiet and easy going LaPorte was content to do his fighting in the ring and let the others do the talking. In an era where personality meant more than ability and substance, this would come back to bite the Puerto Rican. Juan, on several occasions, came out on the short end of the stick when the Judges score cards were read. A majority of observers believe that Juan bested Eusebio Pedroza in Juans quest for Pedroza's championship. Many boxing observers believe that Juan also bested Julio Cesar Chavez at a time when the Mexican wrecking ball was thought to be almost indestructible. Add to that another "smelly" pinch your nose loss against Billy Costello and Juan soon became known as boxings hardluck ex-champ.

Through it all, the tough fights and the bad decisions, one fact remains about Juan that no Judge can ever take away from him. In over 57 fights....he was never stopped. Never knocked out. Never heard the count of ten. Sanchez, Gomez, Lockridge, Tzyu, Chavez, Castillo, Costello, Pedroza and several dozen others tried. No one succeeded....Not a bad legacy when you take a minute to digest it . Not bad at all.

Zack Padilla retired LaPorte after 10 rounds. It was a frightful beating as I recall.

Bumping this again. Anyone actually following Cruz's progress? I'm beginning to love this little pug almost as much as our old buddy Tam loved Danny Williams. Cruz brings it. Steady if unspectacular, hanging on to that strap he's got as if it's the antidote.

Just whooped up on the elder Solis Brother who once troubled Pacquaio a bit, so thus far, only Pac and Cruz have beaten Jorge. lol Excellente. Viva Mexico! Not to mention he beat up a Frenchman in France just before that.

Back