Public Service Announcement: Aspartame is...

The real question is, how many oranges will I have to eat before I get a wood alcohol buzz?

Thanks for the info KK.....now if we could just clarify that whole mercury in canned tuna thing.....

So you got nothing to worry about with Oranges, or any fruit that has methanol in it. KK was just trying to make a point.

Wolvie, I think he was referring to the Oranges that carry knives.

bacon said:
The real question is, how many oranges will I have to eat before I get a wood alcohol buzz?

I think you go blind from methanol before you get drunk. So, I would eat them until you start to lose vision, and then eat a lot more real quick right after that.

You know, this reminds me a bit of the controversy around MDMA; hearsay, "scientific" studies, paranoia, Donald Rumsfeld. To be honest, I was quite the 'omg formaldehyde in aspartame is teh evil', and I still am, in a parochial, witch-dunking, where-there's-smoke-there's-fire kind of way. I suppose it's more an indictment of my own critical judgement that I'm determined to shoot holes in any anti-MDMA literature as hysterical junk-science, and yet find the necessary reserves of hypocrisy to still hold out on aspartame. Anyone else get this?

I remember laughing long and loud when I first discovered the hoopla around it, mostly because of the revelation that the man broadly responsible for its marketing was none other than Donald "kill everyone in the whole world" Rumsfeld.

And! Oranges are a grim portent when they appear in any part of the Godfather trilogy, trivia fans.

copied off the http://www.whfoods.com/ front page lol

Oranges are one of the World's Healthiest Foods
This week we celebrate oranges as powerhouses of vitamin C, one of the body's most important sources of antioxidant protection. Antioxidants combat free radicals, which have been associated with damage to cell structures, including DNA, and also have been linked to the increased risk of numerous diseases. Free radicals are not only increased through smoking, pollution and the over consumption of alcohol, but are also natural by-products of cellular metabolism, so it is a good idea to include as many antioxidant-rich foods in your Healthier Way of Eating as possible. Easy to carry in its protective skin, a juicy orange is the perfect morning starter, afternoon snack or after dinner dessert. One medium orange contains only 61 calories and provides 116% of the daily value for vitamin C!

I know King was trying to make a point and I'm sure some of the comments about oranges were sarcastic... you never know.

There are a million independent studies that show aspartame is harmful and that it DOESNT take 600 cans to = an orange. Search this forum alone and you'll find anti aspartame info.. google aswell. Dont b dumb and take all ur info from this one study because there are just as many against it :)

There are a million independent studies that show aspartame is harmful and that it DOESNT take 600 cans to = an orange. Search this forum alone and you'll find anti aspartame info.. google aswell. Dont b dumb and take all ur info from this one study because there are just as many against it

Not really. What there are is alarmist "studies" that are anything but independant that link aspartame to every ailment on the face of the earth. Complete with testimonials from people that sound a lot like hypochondria to me.

hearing that makes me damn excited. I have heard that about aspartame, and I freaking love "Clear American" flavored water. It contains aspartame and i was worried after hearing about that. thanks a lot man.

I feel obligated to TTT this because I have something to say.
I just read Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About and in it, it states how harmful asparatame is. It is addicting, it makes you more hungry, it makes you bloated, and continued drinking of diet soda does form a physical addiction.
Kevin Tredeau (spelling?) absolutely 100% has NOTHING TO GAIN from the truths he is telling in his book. He does not invest in any vitamin companies or anything like that, he does not advertise certain brands to take, etc. His information is unbiased and being attacked by the FDA because his research is showing people how to live without prescription drugs and non-prescription drugs. Therefore, his research is very harmful to the pharmaceuitical industry, which is directly linked to the FDA. That is why he is being attacked by the FDA.
My point is, while I 100% respect and 99% listen to what KK preaches, I have to disagree on this subject, this is my 1% of resistence. :)
We don't know if the study KK refers to was funded by the FDA (the most corrupt government agency in the world), or Coca-Cola, Pepsico, McDonalds, etc. The information in that research could be biased, and YES, there could be profit made by the results of their testing. Much more profit than could be made by saying asparatame is bad for you.
I am not preaching the drinking of normal soda. Hell, don't drink anything but water, man. But I would rather have an occasional Coke or applejuice than a diet soda.
I honestly believe diet soda was made to make people more fat, therefore making people drink more diet soda, and eventually giving them health problems. Health problems only the "Prescription Drug World" can handle.

I've never had ONE of those side-effects from anything with Aspartame in it. Ever. And not just myself, but pretty much everyone I know who drinks diet soda. My brain is not rotting, I've gone years at a time without drinking it, and my calories are controlled (for maintaining a weight class).

You say in your post that Kevin Tredeau is being attacked by the FDA. Perhaps this instance isn't the only time he has been, perhaps there are grudges present. There's just as much a chance of that as there are of his information being correct.

Discover Magazine is not a Government Funded agency, and all the supposed drawbacks of Aspartame just still sound alarmist in nature to me. When I have yet to meet ONE actual person who said that a Doctor told them Aspartame almost killed them in real life. Only having read about this in printed information. While on the other-hand, I couldn't count the amount of people I know who have a diet soda on occasion, or something else with Aspartame, and are rather healthy.

ok, Im digging this out the vaults only cause I came across it in the faq's

Im sorry- no way youre going to convince me that an orange resembles 600 cans of diet soda in ANY way, shape or form.

an orange is not only a pure piece of food that contains nutrients and fiber that your body needs, but they're f*cking delicious! (if you know who to pick the right ones)

a diet soda a man-made, highly processed shit-flavored freak accident that I dont see having any redeeming value health-wise what so ever.

often, science over-thinks things and surpasses common sense to the point of stupidity (not raggin on you Kabuki as you're just citing a source..I just have to disagree on this one)

side note- if processed white sugar has already proven to be detrimental to health, why would FAKE processed white sugar be any better???

everything our body needs grows out of the ground naturally. all we have to do is pick it & eat it. ALL man-made food (anything put together in a factory) is complete garbage (hence the vast array of health problems people in the modern world suffer from). anyone who tells you any different is either trying to make a buck or misinformed.

Sigh.

You're arguing against facts with opinions and heresay. I'm sure if you looked at your post and the posts above from an objective point of view, without some holistic, nature-is-best, bent, you'd realize that you're pretty much spouting unsubstantiated nonsense.

But, let's put it this way, just because it's man-made doesn't mean it's bad. The entire basis of modern medicine stems on artificial means to combat disease. And before you start ranting and rambling about modern healthcare, please look up what the average lifespan of person is now versus the average lifespan of someone 100 years ago. Man's continued progress and development stems entirely on our ability to manipulate and utilize the environment around us, be it stone tools or chemically distilled medicines.

erco, we could both go back & forth with studies, so-called facts, claims etc. for days..

who was it who said "If man made it, dont eat it." ?

oh yea, Jack LaLanne.

you know who he is, right?

erco, we could both go back & forth with studies, so-called facts, claims etc. for days..

who was it who said "If man made it, dont eat it." ?

oh yea, Jack LaLanne.

you know who he is, right?

Good point.

I'll stop eating my greens powder, multi-vitamin, whey protein, casein protein, olive oil, salt, and everything else in my kitchen.

lol@ "so-called-facts".

No sense in discussing anything further when someone types out words like that.

I believe Standard once told me someone said to him "facts don't prove anything."

Awesome way of thinking that is.

I just cracked a Diet Mountain Dew and toasted all of you.

Back