PS4 Hard Drive insight needed

Ghost in the Shell

DEUS EX MACHINA
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has touched on this topic at all. Regardless, its self-explanatory.

I currently got the stock hard drive on my PS4. Important note: I just recently became aware of RPM, SSH/SSHD, 6.5, etc. and I'm looking @ at least 2TB with 7200RPM. I was warned about WD and Toshiba, not sure if there's additional/different information in regards to the brands and specs. In regards to the price, my max is 250 w/s&h.

So yeah, can anyone provide some help?

$250? Are you in the US? Hmm I am looking on Newegg right now, and I think you need a laptop hard drive for the PS4. Surprisingly I am not seeing options there 2TB

Might be a better option to look for a 1tb SSD
Edit: No 1TB SSD in that price range.
This is the best I have been able to find. It's 5400rpm, but only $120. I don't think you'll see much difference between the 7200 and the 5400 anyways

Last edited:
Just did all the research on this myself. The best option for switching and not doing a major mod is to buy the hgst travel star 7200 rpm 1 TB. There are no form factor hdd that fit at 2 TB and run 7200 rpm. To use a 3.5 inch drive you need to do a major mod or use the nyko data bank which has major bad reviews. There is one other option if you want 2 TB which is to pay 800 bucks for the Samsung ssd that is the right form factor.

This is the link to the current cheapest, best, and no mod required hdd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B4QESVQ/ref=pd_aw_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=02W5HRD0MQGDTHXZW1VT
Best of luck.

Btw hdd space in the ps4 is 2.5 inch and no bigger than 9mm.

So are you planning on following through with modding? That won't fit in your system.

If you do decide to go through with that I highly recommend buying a WD black drive. It's much more reliable and its load times will average out faster than the seagate more than likely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA54G24N1000

Sorry I guess I didn't add it in the other post lol
2tb Samsung Drive I think that is the best option I see that is not an absurd waste on an SSD. I don't think you will really see much difference between a 5400 and a 7200rpm drive, esp on a ps4

There is a pretty big difference in load times between a 5400 and 7200 on the ps4. It's been tested for anyone willing to look.

There is a pretty big difference in load times between a 5400 and 7200 on the ps4. It's been tested for anyone willing to look.

Yes but unless I am recalling it wrong it's only the initial load, so it isn't that big of a deal

And actually the one I have seen is usually only a difference of seconds. The SSD doesn't even perform like you think it would in the PS4
[YT]InermmePbd4[/YT]

Yes but unless I am recalling it wrong it's only the initial load, so it isn't that big of a deal

And actually the one I have seen is usually only a difference of seconds. The SSD doesn't even perform like you think it would in the PS4
[YT]InermmePbd4[/YT]

It actually doesn't just matter on initial load up. Any game that has loading scenes such as every time you die and have to go back in a souls game or load a fast travel in any game will be effected by this. It's a pretty big deal. My gaming sessions are much more fluid since I upgraded to a 7200 rpm drive. It's quite noticeable because my brother and I play games together in the same room and you can compare loading times between areas for things like dragonball xenoverse for example. If you actually added up all the time you are wasting on some games loading you might think these upgrades were more worth it. I almost threw down enough for a ssd because 10-15 seconds off every load adds up to a lot more game time in a session.

I mean in all but 2 of those games the load times were like 2-3 seconds faster and took over 25 seconds to load. I just find it hard to believe that makes much of a real world difference to shell out a lot more money for. I am damn sure that if you did a pepsi challenge between the two, you would be guessing blind which HDD you were using.

I am a huge proponent of people using and SSD on the computer for their programs. That is a real change you can feel from using the hard drive. I just don't see it here though, even with the SSD. If it was cheaper to upgrade the speed, than yeah you should do it. But the cost difference for shaving off what would be unnoticeable if your brother wasn't in the same room? That's a hard sell

That test video doesn't tell the whole story btw. Boot up times for system are 20-33% faster on many games and it all depends on the game. Because of the way some games are programmed some are more and less hdd dependent. For example resoguns load time is 19s on normal hdd and 10s on the 7200. A lot of larger game loads will be 40-32-20 (5400, 7200, and Ssd) from the spreadsheets I've seen. I read a lot of material before deciding myself. The sshd also don't seem worth it as they are inconsistent and will randomly take longer. I'd say ssd or just get a 7200.

I've never had an issue with Western Digital hard drives and always had issues with Seagate. Maybe it's just me.

Back