1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

protien mix and milk?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by xDivineSouLx, Jan 31, 2006.

1. xDivineSouLx

xDivineSouLx Guest

so i have been using lowfat milk with my protien.. am i basically wasting protien?everyone always says to only use skim milk or water. How much protein am i losing using lowfat milk?

2. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

How are you "losing" protein?

3. GreenRecon

GreenRecon Swift, Silent, Deadly

That makes no sense.

4. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

Low fat milk has the same amount of protein as full cream milk, so you would'nt be losing any.

5. Grady

Grady Blue Belt

If you mix your protein whey with milk, you are just adding additional protein, carbs, and (depending on the type of milk), fat to it. Obviously you increase the caloric value too.

A percentage of protein added is casein, which is slower digesting than the whey.

Obviously, it also makes for a richer beverage (which tends to taste better and be more satisfying).

6. xDivineSouLx

xDivineSouLx Guest

i was told that it breaks down the protien making it useless, i always argue that it is not true.. a few people have told me this, but of course they are not experts or anything

7. Bizz

Bizz cbjerrisgaard

I fail to see how they would have any logic to back that up. Plus wouldnt companies warn us of that so we use only water. Its not like they would promote mixing it with milk and then have those who do not gain any benifits from their protien in fear we could switch brands.

my two pennies

8. #1can

#1can Blue Belt

I think you misunderstood. AFAIK, the reasoning is that your body is much more willing to absorb fats than protein, so when protein is mixed with milk, the milk fat is digested first and (some of) the protein may go to waste. Skim milk, since it has very little to no fat, minimizes this problem. I am not sure how much truth there is to this though.

9. Pseudo-Figure

Pseudo-Figure White Belt

I'd never mix protein with milk. Stick with water, and either Oats or dextrose depending on if you're lifting or doing cardio.

10. Hockeyfight

Hockeyfight Green Belt

Milk has protien though I mix my protien with low fat milk. I figure I'm getting more not less.

11. Pseudo-Figure

Pseudo-Figure White Belt

On a bulk It isn't really that big of a deal. Still I wouldn't add milk post workout.

12. villin

villin The Bad

That's not true at all. The higher the %butterfat of the milk, the higher the protein content.

13. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

Your not losing protein your adding calories.

14. GenevaGrappler

GenevaGrappler Orange Belt

I started taking protein recently. However, i have a question about this. I train 4 times a week and only take it after training (late evening) although it says to take it twice a day. Any comments regarding this?

15. Grady

Grady Blue Belt

Aside from post w/o, you should take protein if you didn't eat enough of that nutrient in your regular diet throughout the day. Its just another source of protein, man.

16. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

Perhaps the milk is different where you live. I checked the nutritional information on the labels of several different brands of milk and they were all between 4 & 5 percent protein. The highest in protein was actually the no fat variety.