Protein Supplement Courtesy

AWESOMEACE

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The purpose of the thread is to basically share experiences with protein powders. I have tried quite a few different ones at this point, never delved into anything really cheap, have always tried to stay "middle of the road." My absolute favorite and probably more of a higher end one that I have used is Beverly International UMP, followed closely by Gold Standard Whey. I think UMP is better because it has Casein blended in and overall is just great.

Now the courtesy part, is the not so favorites, and that being the ones that have caused, we will say, gastrointestinal distress. Now I know consuming too many BCAA's in a short amount of time can cause this problem but there are two particular proteins I have tried that cause this after one shake, at least for me. That being Muscletech Phase8, this was earlier on when I was more of a protein newb, and didn't realize Muscletech had basically turned into a volume over quality company. The second one that occurred recently and sort of surprised me was Total Protein by Culter Nutrition. It has all sort of fancy certifications but still causes this problem for me.

Any others have a similar experience or other brands they care to talk about?

If you are still not buying protein in bulk...well, there is not much to say really.

If you are still not buying protein in bulk...well, there is not much to say really.

what sources are worth it? The ones I've tried were only marginal savings over 10lb bags of ON, while tasting and mixing much worse.

what sources are worth it? The ones I've tried were only marginal savings over 10lb bags of ON, while tasting and mixing much worse.

I buy from Canadian protein for 250$ of good quality, and amazing tasting protein. Prices go from 180-300$ for different kinds of them for 25lbs.

If you want to go organic and very HQ - they have it too.

ON goes around 150-200$ for 10 lbs... so

That's about 375-450$ vs 250$ for about the same amount, and honestly the same shit.

TrueNutrition.com is pretty awesome. You can create your own mix based on tons of ingredients. Plus, if you spend enough, they'll send you a sweet t-shirt!

No problem, let me know if you if you start pointless threads about magical properties of different protein powders.

magical properties huh? How about some companies are obviously putting cheap ingredients in their blends and that is what is causing the problem and please forgive me for just wanting to talk about it. Since you appear to be such the nutritional expert based off of your other postings I guess I am supposed to just take your drivel as something worth listening to.

TrueNutrition.com is pretty awesome. You can create your own mix based on tons of ingredients. Plus, if you spend enough, they'll send you a sweet t-shirt!

are you happy with the quality. i.e. mixes well, doesn't give the fartsies?

Casein gives me horrible gas, like if you were to go into a room where a corpse had been for a couple days. Wife banned it.

magical properties huh? How about some companies are obviously putting cheap ingredients in their blends and that is what is causing the problem and please forgive me for just wanting to talk about it. Since you appear to be such the nutritional expert based off of your other postings I guess I am supposed to just take your drivel as something worth listening to.

Labdoor does quality control on supplement brands and provides a ranking.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Scroll down the page to see the grades for protein brands.

Also, look for products that are GMP; this means that what they say is in it, is in it within the reasonable limitations of error and isn't fairy dusted or full of filler.

I like Kaizen and i'm currently using Leanfit (30$ for a 5lb tub w/ 25g pro/31g scoop). Both of these are Solid if you're on a budget. Mix well, taste good. I dont get gassy.

Usually pick up the 5lbs of ON Gold Standard whenever BB is offering a 20% coupon, which equates to about 45 bucks.

Grabbed a tub of cake-batter, stuffed tasted great, mixed effortlessly, and no side effects have arisen.

are you happy with the quality. i.e. mixes well, doesn't give the fartsies?

the quality at truenutrition is something that you control if you are making custom mixes. for example, if you know that whey concentrate kills your stomach, you can go with a different lactose free protein that won't have the same effect. Then you can buy in bulk and just use your existing containers to store it (normally they come in mylar bags)

Amino Spiking. Proprietary protein blends. Artificial colors and sweeteners.

So long as your protein doesnt have any of those things, have at it.

There are a few grassfed proteins sources from quality farms on the market now

I took all kinds of gainers and protein shakes for about ten years,(mainly quit buying them because I had twins and trying to save money) now I just try to get protein from real foods and haven't really noticed a difference. As long as you eat good and put in work in gym your muscles will grow, just my two cents, flame on.

Back